Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 31st, 2005, 09:16 AM
Admiral

Default Terri Schiavo Dies

Terri Schiavo, the 41-year-old brain-damaged woman who became the centerpiece of a national right-to-die battle, died this morning, nearly two weeks after doctors removed the feeding tube that had sustained her for more than a decade. Brother Paul O'Donnell, a spokesman for Bob and Mary Schindler, Schiavo's parents, said the couple was with their daughter's body and praying.

Old March 31st, 2005, 09:40 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Terri Schiavo Dies

now that this is over, the only person who gets my respect is terri, from what the tv has reported that her husband did not let the parents be with teri the last minutes, now i guess the sage is going to shift to the pope, lets wai and see
Old March 31st, 2005, 10:19 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

May she finally rest in peace.

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 31st, 2005, 10:39 AM
Admiral

may she finally rest in peace
Old March 31st, 2005, 10:44 AM
Yeoman

Send a message via Yahoo to karessamom

This whole thing has made me sick!, I think it's all so sad. I am glad she finally died in that she is at peace. their families have my prayers

Old March 31st, 2005, 10:52 AM
Linda G.

Terry finally has peace without the world intervening in such a private matter. I, for one, believe in euthanasia, where a person can end their life if they are in such pain or emotional suffering that they can't go on. When a person is "kept alive" with no quality of life, it can emotionally drain those that are "near and dear" to them. I do, however, understand people's religious beliefs in this matter.
Old March 31st, 2005, 10:59 AM
Admiral

I wonder if the bum will allow her parents to bury her or will he continue their torture?
This whole thing has been a wonderful exercise is states rights, and spousal rights at the expense of what is moral, decent and acceptable behavior. Why couldn't this guy just fade into the woodwork of life and leave this women to the care of her parents?
The greatest society in the world just completed one of it's darkest days, allowing an innocent womean to be tortured to death through starvation while we sat around and argued the morality and legality of it. Shame on Michael Shaivo for separating this woman from the care of her parents and initiating this entire process. Shame on all of us for allowing this woman to die. We treat our cats, dogs and criminals better than we did this young woman.
Those are my thoughts. My prayers are with this young woman and her family.
Old March 31st, 2005, 11:01 AM
Admiral

Finally Terri can find peace. I am very sad for the way she left this world but I know she will find eternal happiness. My prayers go out to her parents and family during this terrible time in their lives. I hope they can find some peace knowing that the world cared so much about their daughter.

BTW--right on PapaBill

Post Edited (03-31-05 11:08)
Old March 31st, 2005, 11:05 AM
First Mate

Mr. Schiavo murdered his wife.

splendor of the seas
Old March 31st, 2005, 11:12 AM
Admiral

I don't agree with that sentiment. He loved her so much he fought to have her wishes carried out despite the outrage against him. I can tell you one thing, if my dear wife asked me to let her die in peace if she was incapable of sustaining life on her own, you know darn good and well nobody would stop me from granting her her final wish.

Regards,
Thomas
Old March 31st, 2005, 11:18 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Sad that this happened at all... and there's obviously strong opinions and emotions on both sides of this issue.

And because of that... I think it's clear that ALL OF US need to make it clear to our families (and with legal documentation) exactly what our wishes are if (god forbid) we find ourselves in similar circumstances.

If you want to be kept alive if all possible SPELL that out. If you want to be left to die, SPELL that out as well!!!

To me, what has been most disturbing about all of this is that it became a political issue.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old March 31st, 2005, 11:25 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Oddly, I heard that the ENTIRE family WAS together at the end.....I hope she gets the dignity she so deserves now.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old March 31st, 2005, 11:25 AM
First Mate

Yes Thomas he loved her so much he screwed around on her. I hope my wife loves me that much also.

splendor of the seas
Old March 31st, 2005, 11:26 AM
First Mate

He loved her so much that he lived with another woman and had two kids with her? I don't call that love. He was looking out for himself.
Old March 31st, 2005, 11:29 AM
Admiral

If Mr. Schiavo had loved his wife that much to know what her wishes were, then why is he living with another woman and her fathering children. As soon as he did this, he lost any respect from me. If he had divorced Terri, then the caretakers would have been her parents, who actually loved her unconditionally. Keeping food and water from a human being is torture. When we ridded Europe from Nazism, I thought we rose above the callousness that Hitler brought the world.
Now that cold blooded murder is legalized, what will other people, who are caring for "not so perfect humans", do? Lock their aging parents in a room and let them starve to death? Is this where "humanity" is going? It is a sad day for Americans.

Ed

Norwegian Majesty
Old March 31st, 2005, 11:43 AM
Admiral

It took 15 years for him to carry out his wife's wishes. Divorcing her would have relinquished all rights he had to do what she wanted him to do. The easy thing for him to do would've been to divorce her but he stuck it out and at great sacrifice to himself.

It's my opinion he did the right thing. If I was in Terri Schiavo's situation and it took my beloved wife 15 years of court cases to carry out my wishes I would expect, and want, her to find love and companionship with someone else. Because I'm incapable of nurturing and loving her myself I would not want to deny her that comfort from another. She is still a human being with a life.

Regards,
Thomas
Old March 31st, 2005, 11:48 AM
First Mate

My 2 cents worth:
1) Why did it take him 8 yrs before he decided to try & carry out her wishes?

2) We give mass murderers every appeal process all the way to the Supreme Court & even the President but in this case one judge & snatch that tube.

3) If you don't write it down at least let several family or friends know your wishes not just one person.

4) I heard he wanted her cremated & scatter her ashes in Penn.

"If we weren't all crazy we'd go insane"
Old March 31st, 2005, 11:49 AM
libbynan

And the funny thing is my daughter feels the parents only thought of themselves and begged me to promise NEVER to do that to her. This is why you have to talk about this to ALL family members AND put it in writing! As for her husband...... he's supposed to put his life on hold for fifteen years while her parents refuse to let him carry out her wishes. As I understand it, according to the hospice staff, he visited her everyday and participated in her care. It would have been far easier for him to have divorced and abandoned her to the care of her parents. He felt an obligation to have HER wishes carried out. That is admirable. I hope my DH will always feel that much of an obligation to me, no matter how difficult it becomes.
Old March 31st, 2005, 11:56 AM
Admiral

"2) We give mass murderers every appeal process all the way to the Supreme Court & even the President but in this case one judge & snatch that tube."... caribbeancats

You need to read more on the case. This case was heard by 16 different judges in 23 different legal manuevers and they all ruled the same.

Just this past week, 9 Supreme Court justices ruled it's not a case for them to intervene. The 11th Circuit Court of Appeals, on 3 occasions this past week, ruled 9-2 against issuing a court order to re-insert the feeding tube.

So in essence, over 32 judges ruled.

Regards,
Thomas
Old March 31st, 2005, 12:14 PM
Yeoman

My prayers are with Terri and her family on this terrible day.
I agree with PapaBill. I feel we have witnessed something barbaric over the past two weeks.
Old March 31st, 2005, 12:22 PM
Admiral

R.I.P.

donna

Old March 31st, 2005, 12:31 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

In this most difficult situation, one the most upsetting events to me was learning that the Shinlers took the names of people making donations to their "cause" and were selling the list to conservative special interest groups.

Though their initial motivation fighting for Terri may have been sincere, in the end they let themselves be manipulated by some of these special interest groups.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old March 31st, 2005, 12:38 PM
First Mate

Thomas if you ever become like her maybe you want your wife to find someone else. look at her picture on msn.com I wonder if she looked at him with the same loving eyes when he told her "I know I promised to love you in sickness and in health but my word means nothing so i have moved on and now I am going to pull your feeding tube out so you can die.

splendor of the seas
Old March 31st, 2005, 12:41 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to CZodda

I'm with PapaBill on this one. There is no way that one can consider starving someone to death humane. That was torture, plain and simple. Nothing humane about it.

Cathy in NYC
Old March 31st, 2005, 12:51 PM
First Mate

He also wants to have her cremated. No viewing nothing. I am sure some in here see cremation as o.k. but at least give the parents some closure with a real funeral and a final viewing.

splendor of the seas
Old March 31st, 2005, 01:02 PM
Admiral

I feel more like PapaBill than many of you that have posted. I feel a deep sadness inside over the way this has all happened. Each of us has to come to our own decision, and I'm not condeming anyone for where they stand on the issue. I can only say that this appeared to be a cruel and inhumane way to treat someone. I want to be allowed to die peacefully too, but this case raised far more questions than I could find easy answers to.

Phyll

Old March 31st, 2005, 01:32 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via Yahoo to karessamom

I agree with papa bill and Phyllbo--I didn't state it before because i didn't want to get into an argument. I was listening to a local talk show today and the host was talking about how we treat our criminals better than we treated Terri chivo. (The host related that we feed our crimals their final meal and then they eventually are basically put to sleep--not left to starve to death. Like i said the whole thing makes me so sick. I can't imagine being starved to death! I've heard that she never would have known it but seeing some of the videos and pictures it doesn't look like she was all that "brain dead" to me. My mom, a couple of years ago asphixiated on something--we don't know what and her wishes had always been not to keep her on any life support so we as a family agreed to have them pull the respirator and i spent several days with her before she died --I truely beleive that my mom had died the day the incident happened as there was absolutely no response or acknowlegement we were even there-- These cases are somewhat different but i feel that going thru that experience and seeing the videos that we've seen of Terri--I feel that Terri was still with us even tho in a small way --that is a precious life and that does not give us the right to "kill" her. JMHO

Old March 31st, 2005, 02:04 PM
Admiral

The poor woman. May she rest (finally) in peace.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old March 31st, 2005, 02:16 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Try thinking about walking a mile in this man's shoes..So easy for anyone to speak when they are not in the midst of sadness.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old March 31st, 2005, 02:20 PM
Admiral

Author: ousoonerfanintexas (---.dyn.grandenetworks.net)
Date: 03-31-05 12:51

He also wants to have her cremated. No viewing nothing. I am sure some in here see cremation as o.k. but at least give the parents some closure with a real funeral and a final viewing.

--------------------------
No way do I want someone's last view of me, to be lying in a coffin. NO VIEWING> Can't stand that ritual. I have been to a few of them, and it is always my first "view" of them, when I start to think of that person. That is not the way I want to remember someone and that is not the way I want someone to remember me. It never gave me closure to see their lifeless body in a casket. It always has made it worse for me.

I went to a friend's funeral recently, and he was cremated. The box with his ashes was at the front of the funeral home....there was a tv on the wall and a powerpoint presentation showed clips of his life while playing some of the music he loved. His favorite cowboy hat was on display as was a few photos of him.

Now THAT"S the way I want to remember someone. Viewing the body doesn't give EVERYONE closure. Sometimes it is worse.....I know it is for me.