Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 10th, 2005, 03:04 PM
Admiral

Default Need prayers for our cat Tobey he ate a needle

This morning after I dropped the kids off I came home to find Tobey having thread hanging out of his mouth and he was choking. I pulled on it and after a bit of resistance it came out<broke in half> He went into another area and throw up plus some more yarn.I called my dh and he asked me about the needle. I never saw one and was worried. This came from a bead kit I had given my almost 12 year old with strict instructions only to do in her room or the craft room.<the kit was in the living room>I drove him to the vet and they did an x-ray. They did find the needle logged in his thoat but on top<must of happened when I pulled> They cut a small hole in his throat and got the needle out. The vet said it was a good thing it did not travel down in his stomach.WE went there to talk to the vet<dh came home> and he was just waking up. The vet said there could eb some damage to his nasal/throat part but we wont know until later. I am picking up Tobey after the kids get home. We will bring them with us and show them the x-ray to see what can happen if you don't listen to your parents! So I am just asking for prayers from you all that nothing else will happen to him.

I am geting the bill when I go there. If it's too much I will not be able to pay my cruise off and have to cancel our trip. Thanks for the prayers!

Sponsored Links
Old May 10th, 2005, 03:59 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to Eaky77
Default Re: Need prayers for our cat Tobey he ate a needle

Sue,

I am so sorry to hear about Tobey, I pray that everything will come out well, and you will be able to cruise!!

I will also keep my fingers crossed!!!

Erin

09-24-06 Destiny
10-02-05 Valor My favorite yet!
10-23-04 Triumph (Honeymoon of my dreams)
12-24-94 Holiday
Old May 10th, 2005, 05:08 PM
Boostermom

Sue:
Out cat Smokey ate a needle and thread 10 years ago. He pulled it out of my pin cushion while I was ironing the dress I was sewing on. The needle lodged in the top part of his mouth just as it starts to go down the throat. At the vets office they gave him some valium, numbed him up and pulled it out with forceps. He stayed the afternoon so they could watch him. He was on antiobiotics and prednisone (for swelling) for 7 days. He recovered fine.

The only thing we have noticed is that he has a strong gag relex. If he doesnt chew his hard food well or if he bathes himself and gets hair caught in his mouth he will "barf". My girls kid him and say he is anorexic! He just has a very strong gag reflex. Not real fun when you're trying to give him pills, but he lived with no undue consequences.

My sister had a cat who swallowed the needle and thread and it passed all the way through the cats system. That's how she knew she swallowed it. She changed her name to A-nita (a needle, get it). Tobey will be fine and ask the vet if you can pay in installments because the cruise is important too!!
Old May 10th, 2005, 06:02 PM
Admiral

I had a Shih Tzu pup years ago that was tempted by my brothers fishing pole with a cherry tomato dangling from the hook. Us 4 kids walked over to the fire department and they were able to remove the hook... scared the heck out of us as our parents were @ work & we knew someone was gonna be in trouble... my brother for leaving the pole out or us for not "babysitting" better.

Those crazy animals, they do get into mischief !!!

Best wishes for Toby & your cruise !!

Steph
Old May 10th, 2005, 06:34 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to Marguerite

Tobey will be fine!!! These animals are amazing! But, I know how worried you are, our cat is our baby and when somethng happens to her we are basket cases! We have no kids so she is it!!! Prayers are definitely with you!
Marguerite
Old May 10th, 2005, 08:16 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Need prayers for our cat Tobey he ate a needle

I thank you all for caring and writing ..we picked him up with the kids and they looked at the x-ray.He had the needle removed and it was where I said it earlier. The bill was only $225 ! With x-rays, 2 vets operating on him , meds etc. He has stitches and they will be removed in 10 days.We took him home and he left the cage and went beserk. We finally got a hold of him and talked to him, petted him. He is under our bed now and I hope he will be better tomorrow. WE "sealed off our bedroom wing" meaning no dogs allowed in here for at least 48 hrs.
BTW my dh must love his cat..he raced home and got a speeding ticket $180..it was in a construction zone and it could have been 3+ but the police man was nice enough not to do it. All in all a stressful day!

Old May 10th, 2005, 09:55 PM
Boostermom

Sue, so glad Tobey is at home and he will get better now that he has a good spot under the bed. Do you have to give him meds at home?

Sorry about the speeding ticket. I wasn't praying for that! That cop must not have been a "cat" person! To the other poster that said they have no children and the cat is their baby. We have five "babies" and love them all equally except when they all try to sleep on my feet. We are cat people AND have two college age daughters! All animals are amazing, but our cats are just like little furry people. What is it they say, "Cats are just little women in fur coats."

They are all inside, declawed and fixed, one former feral female in the bunch! They all have very distinct personalities and hate it when their people go on cruises.

Sue, you got a good deal on the vet expenses. I'll bet your follow up and stitch removal is also covered in that fee. If DH could have just avoided that speeding ticket........but if he's like my hubby, he will just chalk it up to loving the cat!
Old May 10th, 2005, 11:41 PM
Admiral

Like I said about a week ago after the fire, "some days just suck"!
Glad to hear Tobey is going to be all right. Sorry about the bill and the speeding ticket, but I know you must be relieved that your "baby" is OK.

donna

Old May 11th, 2005, 03:56 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Poor Tobey, that had to be painful for him. I am glad the bet was able to get it out and that Tobey is on the road to recovery. My best kitty prayer on the way.

Laura

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old May 11th, 2005, 07:19 AM
VTJen

So glad this had a happy outcoming - well almost. Your vet price seemed very good, as far as the speeding ticket, been there done that it is sucks. It feels like your just flushing money away.

Hoping to hear a good report later today.

VTJen
Old May 11th, 2005, 07:59 AM
Admiral

Prayers are coming from me and my fat cat Soccer. A needle is probably on thing my cat hasn't tried YET. Hope Tobey has a speedy recovery and everything is fine.

Old May 11th, 2005, 08:18 AM
Admiral

You guys are great..Thanks for the encouraging words! He was under the bed when I went to bed. WE had been worried but thought he was tired. At 1am I woke up, he had curled up next to me I woke up dh and told him I had a visitor.He usually wakes me up around 5am anyway, hopping on top of me wanting to be petted and this morning was no exception. He was very hungry and we gave him soft foods. He is still a kitten about 8-9month old. This morning he wanted to steal the dogs bisquit..I think he is doing much better.What a relief! As to my dh speeding ticket..he always drives like a turtle and he told me he is going to attend driving school to have the fee reduced. He has never been in accidents and does not speed.
Boostermom I know the vet gave us a good price and yes the follow up visit with stitches removed is included in the price. He is a local vet and very nice. As a matter of fact this was our first visit with this vet and we are sticking with him. The office ladies are super nice<except one> and they showed great care and patience with us <we called 3 times to find out what will be done to him>

Old May 11th, 2005, 09:06 AM
Admiral

Sue,

My 2 dogs (cat-lovers! or maybe its' just because my cat rules the house!) and my cat & I send good thoughts and prayers for your kitten....amazing what they can get into! Glad he will be fine and that your vet bill wasn't too much.....

At least your hubby's ticket wasn't REAL expensive....especially in a construction zone.. the reason they do that is because there is such a risk to the workers when people go speeding thru there, so many workers get injured & killed in those zones...hopefully next time (God forbid!) something like that happens, your hubby will think about that and try to drive more reasonably......your day would have been worse if he had had an accident or hurt someone!

Glad to hear things are working out...........enjoy your vacation!

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old May 11th, 2005, 10:50 AM
libbynan

SO relieved by this happy ending. I am a stitcher and have just resolved to be much more careful w/ my needles and pins as I have 2 cats and a dog. Never really thought about them trying to eat one..... Hubby was VERY lucky on his fine, especially if he can get it reduced. Heard a thing on NPR the other day.... over 2000 road construction workers have been killed on the job in the last 3 years and most states are really cracking down. Here in AR his fine for a 1st offence would have been$1000.
Old May 11th, 2005, 10:55 AM
Admiral

Tasha, the dog, Chief of security at the vast Mosquito Landings Estate, sends her best wishes. She wanted to needle Toby a bit, but I convinced her it might be considered in bad taste. I think it’s a cat and dog thing. Glad to hear the little beggar is doing well.

and laughing is contagious,
here’s hoping for an epidemic!
Old May 11th, 2005, 11:17 AM
Admiral

Old May 11th, 2005, 12:32 PM
Admiral

Sue, Glad to hear your cat is fine with the Vet bill being reasonable.
Your 12 year old hopefully did NOT get into trouble from you! I have lost cross-stitch needles(most of them were found) before in the living room and sometimes one just 'disappears'. My daughters also love to do their needlework in the living room. But of course, we have no little babies/toddlers (and no pets) to worry about.

Old May 11th, 2005, 12:41 PM
Admiral

Sue- My cats Oliver, Smudge, Sunny and Mary Jane are glad things turned out ok for Toby. Our dogs Isabelle, Sofia and Margaret also send good wishes but I caught them secretly snickering.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old May 11th, 2005, 06:45 PM
Admiral

Brenda we saw no need to get them in "trouble"> WE all make mistakes but I think they did learn a lesson here!

Doug thanks for all the well wishes!

Old May 11th, 2005, 08:08 PM
Passenger

Best wishes from my house to yours from Clark, Big Whity, Little Whity (my cats) and Lotus and Max ( my dogs). You can always pay off a ticket, but no $$ can be measured for the love of your pets. Have a happy cruise as well!!!! I will be on the Valor on Sunday, I am going to miss my babies.