CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   A little Lightening goes a long way (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/273778-little-lightening-goes-long-way.html)

Phyllbo July 24th, 2005 07:59 PM

A little Lightening goes a long way

Hi All, I'm back, on line and glad to be able to use my computer again.
We had a storm go through here late yesterday, and just when we thought it was over we got a sizziling sound with a bolt of lightening. Took a breath and said ok, I'm alive, that's good. Not long after though we found the cable modem out for the computers, two tvs not working ,and a garage door that would go up by remote, but not down. Today we have replaced 2 TVs, had the cable guy out and replaced the modem, replaced the burnt out router, and got the computers back on line. The desk top computer still won't go back on line, but is working otherwise. I'm glad the lightening didn't take everything out, but the randomness of what it did take out sure is a mystery to me. Anyway, it's good to be back on line and catching up with all of you. We will be getting super deluxe surge protectors on all our stuf after this.

Phyll

Lisa July 24th, 2005 08:23 PM

Re: A little Lightening goes a long way

Phyll - I was wondering how you fared yesterday during those storms. We only have a few tree limbs down in our yard and thankfully no lightning strikes here.

L&S80 July 24th, 2005 08:31 PM

Wow phyll........glad you're ok.....lightening is scarey!!!! Glad it didn't get everything......

Sharon

Emptynesters July 24th, 2005 08:44 PM

Wow! Not good but still lucky, could have lost more. We had some big electrical storms back in May & a girl @ work they lost: computer, tv, phones, freezer & fridge both & their air conditioning unit. Which - the supposedly the air conditioner running is what got hit. Sister in-law/brother in-law got hit out on the farm one yr & it hit the pipe from the bathtub & blew a hole & all the tile out of the bathtub!

Angela Z. July 24th, 2005 09:24 PM

Glad to hear that you're okay Phyll......almost would've expected that post from Florida instead of WI!
Angela Z.

Trip July 24th, 2005 09:31 PM

SOOO glad you are both ok.. Good to have you back online..Speak to you tomorrow!

MaryLou July 25th, 2005 04:48 AM

Phyll: That is frightening. A similar thing happened to my boss a couple of weeks ago, but he only lost two computers and a TV. When I asked him if he had surge protectors, he did. The cable company told him the lightening probably came through the cable and the surge protector does nothing to protect that. So, how do you win?

sue July 25th, 2005 05:35 AM

Re: Re: A little Lightening goes a long way

wow that sounds scary! Glad you are okay.We have bad storms here in FL also but thank God nothing ha **** us yet!

Cruznut2 July 25th, 2005 06:02 AM

Wow, that is frightening. Glad you are alright.

Laura

Thomas July 25th, 2005 07:20 AM

Glad you're o.k. Phyll. We have that happen to us about once a year with all the 80 ft. pine trees in our yard. One will get hit and the residual will arc to the wiring in the house and blow out the most sensitive electronics.

Usually it will take out the smallest electronic components, which it sounds like it did in your case too. The garage door sensor, computer peripherals, T.V.'s, etc. You might also check your alarm system (if you have one). These are vulnerable too.

Regards,
Thomas

Donna July 25th, 2005 07:47 AM

OMG Phy,
Glad to hear you are back on-line and had some TV's replaced, what a storm. We did not get any of those, in fact we still need rain South of you....I can hear thunder now, but yet again, I don't think we'll see the much needed rain. Sorry you had all those troubles..

susancruzs July 25th, 2005 07:57 AM

Wow, Phyll, that is scarey, glad you are doing o.k. now! Very frightening! Those storms really moved through fast.

We were on the train coming back from Chgo and it was pitch black to the north. We got a deluge of rain like buckets for a short time!

Take care!

Susie

Cruise Cynic July 25th, 2005 09:48 AM

Phyll... those commercially-available surge protectors are not much good against a direct lightning strike. They only protect you against what travels down the line from a half-mile away, or further. A lightning bolt contains enough energy to jump large gaps in between conductors, which means it can jump ANY protection circuitry available. Have your electrician ensure that you have a very good (meaning direct) ground route for your main electrical panel, and make sure any antennas are well-grounded as well, ditto your chimney and roof-peak. Then perhaps the surge protectors will be more effective. The so-called "warranty" on those things is so full of holes it may as well be Swiss cheese. Even then, if your house is struck directly, the energy can pass down the wet exterior walls, and gain access to your electrical system through an indirect route, such as your doorbell or an extension cord you've left lying around.

MichelleP July 25th, 2005 10:12 AM

Glad everyone is okay! Hope you get things up and running again soon!

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Phyllbo July 25th, 2005 11:31 AM

Thanks all.
Cruise Cynic, I didn't know that there was so little that you can really do, but it sure makes sense when you think about the power in a bolt of lightening. I'll put the surge protectors on, and hope for the best. I know I will be unplugging things now when I'm home and a storm hits. I am just surprised at the randomness of the things that were affected, but glad it wasn't everything.

Phyll

Mike M July 25th, 2005 11:49 AM

Phyll,
I hope your homeowners will cover your losses and I also hope you will have an electrician take a look at your wiring for any residual damage that may have occurred.

Your insurance should cover it.

Take care,
Mike

Cruise Cynic July 25th, 2005 02:50 PM

Phyll> Probably if you look closely at how your house is wired, you might find that what happened is less "random" than you think. What got toasted is what should get toasted, namely sensitive electronics, computers (usually "on" all the time), and TV's, which are usually "powered", even when switched off. Things like light bulbs are more resilient with respect to power surges, as are electric motors. Also, if you want to play detective, check which wiring "branch" (or phase) the damaged stuff was connected to. I suspect there will be a correlation.

rayb July 25th, 2005 07:40 PM

Phyll----U just need to be back in Florida the Lightening Capatal
of the country.