Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 4th, 2005, 02:53 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default My Turn to Vent!

In the past week there have been 2 cases of road rage here. One ending in a death, and a mother and son shot. That said maybe I was not wise to open both barrels today, BUT.. I came out of the chinese restaurant to find a car parked next to me with the engine running and a child, about 2 maybe, in a car seat in the back. I was going to to pull out, and said to myself.."no I can't leave." Lord knows when the mother or father will be back! I could see some ladies in the beauty shop pointing at the car, so I knew others had noticed as well.

I started to go into the shop, when i saw a man walking twoard the car, and then get in. I said to him.."you're lucky, I was just about to call the police,what a stupid thing for you to do"

Rather than being apologetic or contrite, he became defensive, and did not address, the problem, which I saw as wrong, he just ignored it.

When he pulled out, for whatever reason I took his plate number..he then pulled back into the spot, and said "you took my plate #, good luck with that I'm a cop...[ ya right ]
"I said shame on you twice then!" He also went on to say his wife was right across the lot in a pickup, watching the car.... [ ya right again! ] I think, he doth protest too much! He lingered in the lot as I drove on to other errands..Watch, he is a cop, ran my plate, and I will be sleeping with the fishes I could NOT have said NOTHING! This was my OY for the day!

I bet every one of you would have said something too!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old August 4th, 2005, 02:59 PM
Admiral

Default Re: My Turn to Vent!

Good for you for speaking up. I would have called the cops the moment I noticed the child and then spoke up when the moron come to the car.

Don't worry if you do end up sleeping with the fishes, I'll get out my DH's best fishing rod and come get you. <VBG>

Old August 4th, 2005, 03:30 PM
First Mate

I have run into a Diamond Shamrock to get a newspaper and left my car running I never took my eyes off my kids mainly because it is dam hot during the summer in Texas so if you turn off the air conditioner for we will say three minutes that could do some damage to a child.

splendor of the seas
Old August 4th, 2005, 03:34 PM
Admiral

In the time it takes you to run in and get a newspaper, whether or not you have your eyes on your kids, someone could distract you, while someone else (their partner in crime) steals your car and kids. Not a smart thing to do.

Old August 4th, 2005, 03:36 PM
Admiral

Trip - I agree with you IT WAS HORRIBLE for the kid to be left in car. My son gets so mad when I make him go in places with me... he says I'LL SIT IN THE CAR... I say NO IT IS AGAINST THE LAW !! (he is 15) so he huffs & puffs but gets out in the end.

One thing drives me nuts too, is animals in cars AND in the back of pickups... in TEXAS with 110 degrees in the shade a dog in the back of a pickup on a METAL bed has NOWHERE to hide from the scorching heat.... some people dont deserve kids or even animals for that matter. my 2 cents.

Steph
Old August 4th, 2005, 03:38 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Angela Z.

Trip, you definitely did the right thing speaking up.....if he was a cop then I'm a size 2!
And not to tell you how to be a parent, OU, but I couldn't leave my kids in a running car no matter how many eyes were watching. I know it's a pain to take them in with you but it only takes a second for someone to take off with your car and your kids.
Angela Z.

Old August 4th, 2005, 03:47 PM
First Mate

We had a case of road rage here in Payson on Monday. One person was shot at from a P/U that was following. No one was hurt or killed, thank goodness!!! Payson PD, Gila County Sheriff's Office and Department of Public Safety (Highway Patrol) all got together and were able to stop and arrest the shooter, a 21 yr old male. In the cab of the P/U they found empty shell casings fired from a 38-caliber automatic handgun. The handgun was hidden under a tray in the console of the vehicle. Other items found included a high-powered rifle a compound bow and drug paraphernalia.

All I can say is that all three law enforcement agencies did a great job!!!!

Old August 4th, 2005, 03:55 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Trip:

You did the right thing. I would have spoken up. I've done the same thing for a dog in a car. With similar results

A few years ago Betty did call the police on one person who had a dog locked in his car. The dog was clearly under distress. The police had to break into his car when they were unable to get in with a jimmy stick. He came as they were getting the dog out. He said he was going to sue the police. He should have been cited with a $500 fine. I don't know if he was.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 4th, 2005, 04:12 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

You GO Girl!!! You did the right thing.People like him should not have children.

Laura

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old August 4th, 2005, 04:17 PM
Yeoman

Trip,
As a parent of 2 small(under 12) kids I wholeheartedly agree with you. I'm the mom at the school bus stop standing in the middle of the road to make sure the kids get across(11-12-13 year olds) Alot of parents do not have a clie. Now, I will also admit that at certain spots such as daycare, I do leave van running but can lock car with remote
Anne

Caribbean Princess
Old August 4th, 2005, 04:27 PM
Admiral

It is not the easiest thing in the world to take the kids out of the car at every stop and bring them along. In and out of the carseats and boosters over and over sometimes. But, even this old Papa can do it and you bet I do.
It was a stupid thing for him to do. Perhaps you should still report it.
If he was a cop in my book it just makes him twice as wrong.
Old August 4th, 2005, 05:34 PM
Admiral

Just goes to prove that any idiot can become a parent. But it takes a special person to BE a parent.

donna

Old August 4th, 2005, 06:03 PM
Admiral

Good for you Trip!!!!!!! Hope that guy learned his lesson even if he wouldn't give you the satisfaction of admitting it. What a jerk he was!!!!!!

Phyll

Old August 4th, 2005, 06:34 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: My Turn to Vent!

Never should a child be elft alone in the car.And off course not with the keys in the ignition, running. I always take my car keys with me and my kids are 14!!! If the child is smaller take her/him with you.

Old August 4th, 2005, 07:01 PM
VTJen

Good for you Trip - people like him need to be reported.
Gotta look out for those who have no voice - have to report when you see these types of things, with both children and pets.

You Go Girl,

VTJen
Old August 4th, 2005, 09:06 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to zr2_Thunder Send a message via Yahoo to zr2_Thunder

Good for you Trip-ette!

Pat on the shoulder's for you.

I willing to bet my career that he is not a police officer or law enforcement official.As a law enforcment officer i would be ashamed if i did something that stupid and then tryed to cover it up by saying i was a police officer. He used that as a way of blowing smoke into your eye's, Little does he know that stating that he's a law enforcment official and not beeing one is against the law. go ahead and forward me that information and im gonna get to the bottom of this when i get back from vacation.. If he's stating he's a police officer to random people in random places, it sounds very suspicious and could be lead to other crimes / impersonation attempts.

Leaving kids/animals in a car is just terrible and cold hearted, we had a case a few years back where a mother left her two kids in the car, one decided to play "driver" and get into the driver's seat the child was able to shift the vehicle from park to Neutral, The minivan in which the two kids were in coasted back into a intersection and was t-boned by an oncoming vehicle. The kids were hurt but non-life threathing injury's, the mother was arrested for the obvious.. i think she will think twice about leaving the kids in the car again.

We had another case where a father left his child in the car running. And the child was able to step on the Window control button. which then crushed the childs neck between the closing window and the door fram of the vehicle. the Child was pronounced dead at the scene. Very very sad case. which could have been prevented.

you did the right thing trip. good for you. you wont be sleeping with the fishes its freedom of speech.
you have any future problems with that bozo let me know.
Old August 5th, 2005, 12:43 AM
Admiral

Good on you Trip for "caring".

Weve had two stolen cars with children left in them in the last couple of years. Cars were left running with infants in the back and what do you know they get stolen. The kids were recovered later TOK.

Some people are just to thick to deserve children or cars for that matter .

Post Edited (08-05-05 00:47)

Celebrity Constellation November 2010

TALLY HO!!!
Chin Chin and all that!
Old August 5th, 2005, 06:47 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Good for you trip. Someone had to look out for the kids. We have people reporting things like that here all the time. It is so hot, and so many don't think....

Luanne

Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old August 5th, 2005, 08:28 AM
Admiral

Trip, I am proud of you. Good job.

I do think you should send zr2_Thunder the license plate and see if he can help. If that man left his child in the car once and didn't care, HE WILL DO IT AGAIN - and maybe next time a caring citizen won't be around to help.

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Old August 5th, 2005, 08:59 AM
First Mate

I have a lock for my car but someone could put a gun in my face and steal my car the same way. Really Trip I believe it is none of your business to tell people how to raise their children. I am sure if I went to your home I could tell you several things I didn't like about how you raise your children

splendor of the seas
Old August 5th, 2005, 09:16 AM
Admiral

Trip...There is no doubt about it..you did the right thing..here is an award for being a Hero for the week .

Post Edited (08-05-05 09:18)
Old August 5th, 2005, 09:49 AM
Admiral

This has nothing to do with HOW anyone is raising their children. This has to do with having the children around to raise and their safety. I have worked with children all day for the last 16 years and know that a child can get into mischief or worse in the blink of an eye.

Old August 5th, 2005, 10:04 AM
Admiral

Gee Tex, YOU were the only disenting person in this thread .Admittedly, you posted you leave your kid in the car..I told this man nothing of the kind, What I told him, was, how stupid to leave a kid in the car,I would tell you the same. Sorry if you disagree.

Post Edited (08-05-05 10:57)

Old August 5th, 2005, 10:34 AM
First Mate

Trip I don't believe anyone has the right to tell someone what to do with their kids. If he had left the kids in the car without the air on yes that might be different they could die. If he didn't have a child in the proper child restraint than that could be different also. I had someone tell me I should get a mexican lady over here on a temporary stay to take care of my kids while my wife and I work so we could save money....NOT there have been to many stories about kids being killed while in the hands of a nanny. I have had people tell me if you spank your kids they will grow up violent. I am raising my kids nobody else so stay out of my business.

splendor of the seas
Old August 5th, 2005, 10:56 AM
Admiral

Nuff said.

Old August 5th, 2005, 11:50 AM
Admiral

My last comments on this, more so to comment on the issues mentioned by OU)

If the air is on, the car is running. Someone could take off with the car whether the doors are locked or not .

Kids can get themselves out of child seats very easily, which could be a problem if the car is running (yeah, I know cars now adays need to have the brake pedal engaged for the car to shift gears but if the child was on the floor, sitting on the brake and reached up and grabbed the shift. Well, there goes the car and child on a great ride.) Or as they are getting themselves out of their seats, they could get tangled in the straps.

Kids have also been killed at the hands of their own parents, siblings, other relatives, at school, etc. Are you going to just blame nannies? As an in home daycare provider, I take offense to that remark.

I will assume by your statement about spanking, that you feel it is okay to spank a child as long as it doesn't make them grow up violent. How do you know how they will turn out? What if they do turn out violent? Guess we can blame the parents who spanked their kids!

I am sorry to anyone who thinks my remarks are harsh, offensive or abusive but children are my work. I take the care, upbringing and safety of children to heart. I have seen too many children, to me 1 is too many, destroyed by the stupidity of people who claim to love them. Also if this post needs to be deleted, I fully understand. Again I apoligize.

Post Edited (08-05-05 11:56)
Old August 5th, 2005, 03:40 PM
Yeoman

Did this road rage happen here in New England? Thought I heard this on the news this past week. Sad stories. By this so called cops reaction, just goes to show you that child abuse is done many different ways, by any type of people. God be with the little one!
Old August 5th, 2005, 04:21 PM
Admiral

Yes it did, north of Boston,and Brockton.

Old August 5th, 2005, 04:32 PM
Yeoman

I thought so, saw the daughter of the mother and son. sad, sad story on channel 7.
This was a Mass Cop shame on him. I would turn the plate in, but he could get even, if he really were a cop.
Old August 5th, 2005, 05:32 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to zr2_Thunder Send a message via Yahoo to zr2_Thunder

He's not a cop... and its been taken care of. =o)