Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 7th, 2005, 02:03 PM
sailing gal

Default tipping at full service stations?

Hi,
Is a tip expected at full service gas stations in the US ?
Thanks, K
Sponsored Links
Old August 7th, 2005, 02:48 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Re: tipping at full service stations?

No. There are few of them left and the ones that are left charge a premium price per gallon for the service. It is usually .15 to .20 more per gallon. They also have self service islands.
Many of these stations will discount that rate to the regular rate for people with handicapped plates. If this applies to you, check first before they begin pumping.

Finding one anymore is a bit of task, unless you know the area. The last time I used one I had to ask the person why they didn't wash my windshield. He looked at me like I was asking him to change my tires and then did a mediocre job.

You can always find a station that has a mechanics bay and ask to have the mechanic check your fluid levels and tire pressures. If they do that you can tip them if you wish.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 7th, 2005, 03:34 PM
sailing gal

Hi,
Thanks Mike. I normally pump my own but I was in NJ where I think all the pumps are full service. One station actually had the guys cleaning the windshield. I forgot about the days when they would check fluid levels. Thanks for the memory.
I was in my hometown when a woman pulled up to me at the pump and wanted to know which station in town is full service. I had to scratch my head.
K
Old August 7th, 2005, 04:06 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Sailing Gal:

Here in Minnesota we have stations called Sinclair that do pump your gas for you and "sometimes" wash your windshield. Their prices are on par with other stations but many of them are becoming self service.

I have heard that some places are not allowing individuals to pump their own gas because of liablility issues, which I think is ridiculous. I have heard that with the increase in prices that the number of drive offs has doubled.

I know if I was asked the same question "Where is a full service station?" I would have bit of a hard time giving the directions. They are becoming a thing of past.

The man from Texico is long gone. <VBG>

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 7th, 2005, 07:54 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

In N.J. you are not allowed to pump your own gas, by law..I would be in heaven, as I don't know how...I have a full service one right near me, and several around the area...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old August 7th, 2005, 09:56 PM
Caterina

Now, you need to visit Japan where we saw the attendants - six of them - pump gas, clean windshields, check oil etc. Then line up at the exit ramp and bow the customer on his way. That is service! In the grocery store they bow as they hand you your change.

kat
Old August 8th, 2005, 11:25 AM
Admiral

full service gas station? around here that would be an oxymoron.