Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 28th, 2005, 10:29 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Huh?

How have I lived my life, without seeing Fruit Leather? I saw this on tv for the first time last night, on the Food Network. Have I had my eyes closed as I shopped all these years? One flavor they showed made my tongue tingle..grape pear....now does that sound good or what? I just don't know:

Knowing Cruisemates, from around the country, I know it will be easy to get to the bottom of this....Is this a regional taste delight? IS it a taste delight? I pose these deep questions, knowing I will be led in the right direction.

Several years ago, in chat, we were talking regional candies, foods etc...Cherry Mash candy was mentioned. I said , "huh?" Who knew! I said we in the Boston area, have Necco Wafers, she said, "huh?" So, we sent each other the local candy, and I must admit, while I like Necco Wafers, I LOVED, Cherry Mashs

So, to my far flung regions of chat pals, whats a hit in your region? Is there a hidden delight, that, when we visit, we must seek out? Secrets NO more I say..We are on the hunt!!

Post Edited (08-28-05 09:31)

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old August 28th, 2005, 10:54 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Huh?

Good question Trip. Is fruit leather the same as Fruit Roll-ups? The long, sticky fruity things that kids have been packing in their lunch boxes since my kids were in elementary school?
Your question about regional taste delights brought to mind something distinctly Canadian, at least I've only had them in Quebec and Ontario, I don't know about the rest of the country. Here, they're called "Queue de Castors" aka "Beaver Tails". I know that sounds disgusting, but it's not what you think. Beaver Tails are similar to a doughnut or pastry dough, flattened and patterned to look like a beaver tail, then flat-fried to a golden brown, then dipped in your choice of toppings, such as white powdered sugar, cinnamon, chocolate, strawberry, or the REALLY Canadian topping - maple!
You haven't lived until you've tried a Beaver Tail, so if you ever come to Quebec City, Montreal, or Ottawa, you've got to look for one of their kiosks! I'd send you one in the mail, but it just wouldn't work!

Here's a photo of me enjoying one of those delicious Beaver Tails recently at our local water slides, North of Montreal.

donna

Post Edited (08-28-05 14:03)
Old August 28th, 2005, 11:10 AM
Admiral

Donna, the fruit leather looked entirely different, not as much a candy like snack as a fruit based concoction. We have a pastry called, bear claws....maybe they are related We could start a forest of baked goods

Old August 28th, 2005, 11:13 AM
Admiral

Yup, probably very similar to Bear Claws, although I have seen cookies called Bear Claws that were hard cookies, not pastry-like.

donna

Old August 28th, 2005, 11:25 AM
susancruzs

It's a new one on me, never heard of it, but oh my gosh did I love Necco's as a kid! :-)
Haven't looked for them or seen them in ages but oh, did I like them!

Chicagoan's love their Cracker Jack's, deep dish pizza and the Chicago hot dog. Jelly Bellies is the candy thing, the plant used to be right near me but they moved north of the border to Wisconsin, less taxes!

Susie
Old August 28th, 2005, 11:47 AM
Admiral

One of my favorite desserts when I lived in New England was "indian pudding". The only place you could find it regularly was at any Howard Johnson's restaurant. I'm sure that many of you have savored indian pudding at one time or another. For me, hot indian pudding topped with vanilla ice cream was the ultimate in heavenly taste. I still have a recipe for it, in a 1973 Betty Crocker's cookbook, but I can't seem to get my dw to cool me up a batch. Must be an ethnic thing. <G>

If anyone would be interested in getting the recipe, an email will get a prompt response from yours truly.

Jack

Cruise #25, Monarch OTS 11/28/2011, Bahamas
Old August 28th, 2005, 12:54 PM
Admiral

Now you have my curiosity - what are Neccos, and what is in Indian Pudding?

donna

Old August 28th, 2005, 12:58 PM
sailing gal

Hi,
I can't think of any candy but I missed the Drakes ringdings when I lived in the midwest. I buy them in NY. Then when I go to NJ, I buy the butterscotch krimpets. My FIL always brings back shoefly pie from PA. I would recommend buying a slice of NY cheesecake if you visit NY. Some of the italian restaurants in ALbany and NYC make great tarisimu. As you can see, I like my desserts.
Do they have the maple syrup candy in other parts besides New England states?
And Key Lime pie up here just isn't the same as it is in Key West.
K
Old August 28th, 2005, 01:08 PM
Admiral

For several Christma's I tried to get a key lime pie..They all had Boston accents While I would consider mail ordering from Florida, I think they are outrageously priced, so I make MY fabulous cheesecake..I wait till I am in Florida, or cruising, to get my key lime pies..

Necco wafers are made in Cambridge Mass, look like communion wafers, but in colors..dry little tasty devils though

Never in my life have I heard of krimpets, know funnel cakes make some people salivate, but have NEVER seen one, didn't taste kettle corn till I was in Florida a couple of yrs ago..I am soooo deprived people!!

Necco stands for New England Confectionary Company..
http://www.necco.com/

Post Edited (08-28-05 12:12)

Old August 28th, 2005, 02:26 PM
Yeoman

Ok,
How about Orange wine? Made from oranges and there is also grapefruit wine. The winery is here in St Pete. I miss crumbcakes from NJ and rum cakes from Mass. Hoagies from Pa and good ole homemade chicken and dressing from 'Bama. Also, nothing like a good mint julep to set on the porch with. Homemade with mint syrup. Jack, DH's grandmother makes Indian pudding. RollerDonna, ever have toque? (That's a meat pie made from pork and beef) Trip, lived most of my life in NE and never knew what Necco stood for. Thanks for the info
Anne

Caribbean Princess
Old August 28th, 2005, 02:31 PM
Admiral

Anne, no, I haven't heard of it referred to as "torque" but definately "tortiere" (where's that French accent when I need one? !) My mom made French Canadian tortiere (great-grandmother's recipe) every single year for Christmas breakfast (?!). I do have the recipe, so I guess I will have to carry on the tradition....

donna

Old August 28th, 2005, 02:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

Appetizing discussion. Here in Oklahoma, although it isn't a cruise destination, we have Indian Fry Bread. It's also another deep fried pastry similar to Bear Claws and Canadian Beaver Tails. RollerDonna, two of the Canadian specialties that I will be seeking out in a few weeks when I am on my Canada/New England cruise are (1) Montreal Smoked Meat Sandwiches. (2) Tarte au Sucre - Sugar Pie. Since my port of embarkation is Montreal, I won't be too stuffed from the cruise. I just hope that my flight gets in early enough so that I have plenty of time to go down to Swartz's on Rue St Dennis or Rue St Laurent (I can't remember which street it is) for their famous smoked meat. .

Old August 28th, 2005, 02:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

Oh and another Quebecois specialty that I like is that artery clogging, but oh so good concoction of fries, brown gravy, and cheese curds, Poutine. .

Old August 28th, 2005, 04:04 PM
amyc

one of my personal favorites is a baked/fried item..fried apple pies..ladies used to make them for school bake sales..and apple stack cake..yum yum..can you tell I grew up in Kentucky!
Old August 28th, 2005, 05:32 PM
Admiral

Linda Y, I love your choices of Quebecois delicacies! Schwartz's is at 3895 rue St. Laurent, or as it is know locally, "the Main". Probably the best place to go for poutine is any "La Belle Province" restaurant (where they specialize in "steamie" hot dogs and delicious greasy fries.) As for Tarte au Sucre, I'm not sure where is the best place to go. When are you in town, and for how long before your cruise? Maybe we could arrange to meet for a decadently delicious Quebecois lunch! E-mail me with details!

donna

Old August 28th, 2005, 05:40 PM
First Mate

Salt potatoes.

I believe this originated in and is still hugely popular in Syracuse, New York.

What it is is a 4 or 5 pound bag of new potatoes (small) and a large packet of salt. You put the salt in the water and biol the potatoes until done. Dump out the water, and slather on butter.

Definately artery clogging, but good ! Never heard of them in Connecticut as such, but I was able to buy them at a Price Chopper market in Newington, CT.

Another delicacy is Spiedie (sp?) sauce. This is a marinade/dressing made famous at the New York State Fair, again in Syracuse. Try marinating any type of pork in it, and you will be pleased.

I used to like Medford mustard, but they don't make it anymore - I think.

Now I'm going to have to go and have a Twinkie or 2 - all this has got me hungry!

Sid1962
Old August 28th, 2005, 05:41 PM
L&S80

Trip..............we have Necco wafers here.....love them!!! Especially the chocolate ones<S>
The beaver tail sounds kinda like our Elephant ears........only bigger....<S>

All this talk of food is making me hungry........must look for yummy things.......

Sharon

Old August 28th, 2005, 05:54 PM
Admiral

Sharon, you are my Washington connection, and fruit leather comes from there...check this out below..Have you tried this, is it good? Anyone..????

http://www.stretch-island.com/new/history.html

Old August 28th, 2005, 06:25 PM
Admiral

Trip, I grew up in the Okanagan Valley, British Columbia(fruit growing is a main business there) and I remember the 'new invention' fruit leather when it came out. I think it originally (and still is) made from fruit single flavour(apple, cherry) or more in blends nowadays. It is made by pureeing the fruit and putting it into thin strips or 'leather'. It is sweet, quite chewy and sticks to your teeth! The strips are usually about 2-3"w by 6"l, and quite thin??1/8". They sell for about 40cents each. It has no added sugar and ??preservatives and it is much more 'natural' than FruitRollup candy.
You do not have Fruit Leather in your local supermarket???Hmmm..!
Jack-Is the Indian Pudding like a Rice Pudding with raisins???
Old August 28th, 2005, 06:26 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

I have not thought about Necco Wafers for ages. Loved them as a kid. Indian pudding is soooooooo good. It was a "regular" in my home while I was growing up. Donna It is made of molasses and corn meal basically with a bit of sugar and spices, sooooooooo good!! Another regular dessert that my Mother made was bread pudding. I used to make that regularly here. I changed my Mothers recipe and use cinnamon raisin bread in it. That is also good with the vanilla ice cream.

Laura

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old August 28th, 2005, 06:40 PM
Admiral

Okay now, we all have to start cooking & EATING!!!!! yipeeeeee
Thanks Bren, check out the website I posted in my last post..It will take you there

Old August 28th, 2005, 07:52 PM
Admiral

Sorry Trip! Yes, I just went to the site. I am pretty sure it was before 1976(I was 16 then) that we had Fruit Leather -I think ours was first 'invented' in Okanagan Falls by a small company. Another note is: where I grew up there is an Agricultural Research Station(Canadian Gov't run) and I kind of wonder if they ever did any work on Fruit Leathers. I quite like them and so do my girls-but they are very sticky=not so good for your teeth unless you clean them after!!
I think I have seen the NECCO wafers, but not sure if I ever have had them.
Laura-thanks for the clarification about Indian pudding.
Bye for now. Brenda
Old August 28th, 2005, 08:01 PM
sailing gal

Hi trip and all,
I just emailed the fruit leather site to see if they sell it in NY. It sounds great because it is natural. I can give it to my son.
I wanted to also mention that my husband loves!!! Speedie marinade sauce. He uses it on venison overnight and then cooks it on the grill. He learned about it from a chef friend.
Everything sounds sooo good and it is nice to get a break from the Katrina news.
Karen
Old August 28th, 2005, 08:11 PM
Admiral

Thanks Bren,I guess when we eat it, we need to carry a toothbrush

Old August 28th, 2005, 08:31 PM
L&S80

Trip.............I looked up the addy of the fruit leather place......it's about a hour from us......I've never heard of it........guess it's too close huh???? <S> Come visit & we'll take ya there.......<S>

Sharon

Old August 29th, 2005, 07:27 AM
Admiral

Donna, the beaver tails sound like a snack we have here called a pizza fritte (from the Italian meaning fried dough). We make it at our parish festival, and it's one of the most popular snacks around. (And on of the biggest money makers...low cost/high volume)

Ed

Norwegian Majesty
Old August 29th, 2005, 10:11 AM
Admiral

Now I'm hungry!

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Old August 29th, 2005, 11:28 AM
Admiral

Me too, Michelle!

How about a Moon Pie? A fav here in the south. Marshmellow stuff between thin cookie-like layers coated in chocolate.Yum.. My dh thinks they are just about the most disgusting thing he's ever seen, but hey...he's from PA!

dorothy

CarnivalSensation February 2015
Carnival Dream November 2015

Carnival Fascination April 2014
Carnival Elation March 2011
Carnival Imagination Sept 2007
Carnival Sensation Dec 2006
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 2006
Carnival Miracle Sept 2005
Carnival Glory Sept 2004
Carnival Fantasy Jan 2004
Old August 30th, 2005, 11:10 PM
Admiral

If Donna, Brenda or anybody else is still reading this thread, here is the recipe for indian pudding:

3 cups milk; 2/3 cup dark molasses; 2/3 cup yellow cornmeal; 1/3 cup sugar; 1 tsp. salt; 3/4 tsp. cinnamon; 3/4 tsp. nutmeg; 1/4 cup butter or margarine; 1 cup milk.

Heat oven to 300°. Grease 2-qt. casserole. Heat 3 cups milk and the molasses. Mix cornmeal, sugar, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Gradually stir into hot milk mixture. Add butter. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, about 10 min. or until thickened. Pour into casserole. Pour 1 cup milk over pudding; do not stir. Bake 3 hours. If desired, serve with cream, ice cream or whipped cream. [Ice cream is best IMO!]

Sorry this is so late.

Jack

Cruise #25, Monarch OTS 11/28/2011, Bahamas