Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 30th, 2005, 06:00 PM
Admiral

Default LOOTING!

This really burns me up - all this looting going on in NOLA. I can see food and water and maybe baby diapers but electronics and such. They are running around with shopping carts full of stuff - where the heck are thry going with them? There's no where to go. I think, with martial law being declared, they should all be shot! Isn't it a time to work together?

My heart goes out to everyone involved down there - and may it all go well from here on in.

TTFN Jennifer
Sponsored Links
Old August 30th, 2005, 06:16 PM
Abigail

Default Re: LOOTING!

Ick! I agree...one looter said that "society" owes him as he ran off with a dozen pairs of jeans from a shop. Egads.
Old August 30th, 2005, 06:24 PM
Admiral

They should shoot them! Now, the press is starting to say looting is fine. FL handled this better last year by having a "no tolerance" policy.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old August 30th, 2005, 06:37 PM
Abigail

It makes me really sad about NOLA. I used to live there and in the '92 US riots it was relatively peaceful.
Old August 30th, 2005, 10:54 PM
Admiral

One NO Officer was shot in the face trying to stop a looter today. It is a shame that some people take a natural disaster and turn it into a reason to act like an animal and rape and pillage. There was also a report that this evening two men armed with AK47's open fire on a police station. They were able to flee without being caught due to the floodwaters. Martial Law has been declared so let the National Guard have ammo and act like it is a war zone. Help those that they can and the ones that loot and bring harm to others, shoot them.
Jim

Old August 30th, 2005, 11:54 PM
Tashaf

It amazed me to see the pics of the looters coming out with carts of stuff they will never be able to use. I could understand going in for food or water but I just don't understand what people think they will do with the electronic stuff that more than likely will get fried by the water.
Old August 31st, 2005, 12:52 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: LOOTING!

Jim,

Read your post and was somewhat disappointed.

Majority of the people that were left in the wake of Katrina were people with no means of "getting out" ie: seniors and many others deemed to be under the poverty line.

With the little these people used to have, I believe it is pretty irresponsible for you to condone "shooting people".

Most probably, none of these people are included in our privileged few cruise club , and are simply trying to survive without the basics of life, ie: food, shelter, bathrooms etc.

Although I do not condone stealing electronics, I would suggest that people in the wake of Katrina are simply trying to "nest" anything of perceived value (even though it may be worthless) in order to try to secure their future for the next few days or weeks.

As "the privileged", we don't seem to worry about this sort of stuff when we are cruising as we just expect/demand this sort of thing/service.

Might I suggest that rather than "shooting people", we as cruise people donate 10% of our next cruise cost to Red Cross in order to help out with Katrina relief.

If we are able to cruise, we can certainly chip in 10% of the value our next cruise without it completely derailing our plans.

Just my opinion.
Old August 31st, 2005, 06:25 AM
joto

I agree with Jim that the looters should be shot. I know that the people down there in LA or MS are in a desperate situation, but not everyone goes out and loots stores for things that they don't really need. The people did have a few days notice to get adequate supplies in or leave town. The looters should not be allowed to remain in a civilised society, and don't waste taxpayers money on them keeping them in jail. Just my two cents worth.
Old August 31st, 2005, 08:20 AM
Captain

I too can understand the looting of food, diapers, necessities of life not that I condone it. However, all looting of electronics and other non-essentials is dispicable and the authorities should do whatever it takes to restore order. Those poor police officers who would likely rather have fled with their families to a place of shelter, stayed behind to selflesssly work to save those who did not flee.

The reality is that many shelters were filled with the poor, the weak and the feeble and I believe that the governments made shelter available and transportation available to all, not just those who were able bodied and "privileged". Free buses ran to shelters, ambulances and the Red Cross transported those too weak to transport themselves. Unfortunately many stayed in the path of a hurricane because they chose to disregard the warnings that they might die if they did not flee.

I feel desparately bad for all those affected and I hope that all Americans and Canadians will work together to send all the assistance we can to those affected.
Old August 31st, 2005, 10:28 AM
Admiral

Now where did you read that I think all these seniors and poor folks should be shot! I can understand those looking for food and water and the basic necessities but come on, TV's and tennis shoes and breaking into a childrens hospitial to steal medical equipment? Give me a break, they deserve to be shot like the criminal vermin they are. The criminal element are the one's that are running wild and now many of them are armed. It is those very same criminals that are now robbing and taking from the seniors and 'unfortunate' that you want to protect! I will not get into any political or social idealogy here but I can't for the life of me figure out why you wish to protect those people that are just plain criminals who are taking advantage of this horrible event.
Jim

Old August 31st, 2005, 03:38 PM
Admiral

Shoot them?

Take a step back and take a deep breath. With no place to store dead bodies which would cause diseases, do you really believe that the police would be doing the community more good by shooting looters than helping out seniors who cannot help themselves?

What looters are doing is bad, really bad. Shooting them would cause more problems than what good it would accomplish. It would take the police away from what good they could accomplish by helping the helpless.

Taking a life for stealing a few $1000.00's worth of goods does not sound like justice in a civilized society.

Bill
Old August 31st, 2005, 05:27 PM
Admiral

Bill, shooting looters has nothing to do with justice. Rather it has to do with maintaining a civilized society. We are a people ruled by laws and when the laws, (rules), are put aside some people degenerate into savage behaviour and soon turn on itself.
Jim

Old August 31st, 2005, 08:09 PM
Admiral

This is such a complicated problem. While I agree with Jim about looting stores for things that are not useable in this disaster, I can understand others who are just looking for food and water. I am NOT excusing this behavior, but there are extenuating circumstances.

Desperate people do desperate things. What if your children or grandchildren were hungry and thirsty? Wouldn't you do anything you could to help them? I would. I've seen news stories where the police were letting people into grocery stores to take food and water.

These stores are not really losing anything as what ever was in the store would be considered "contaminated" and thrown away.

As far as a "civilized society", when things become "life and death", there is no civilized society, laws or not.

At this point there appears to be very little or no help from the government. People are "living" (and dying) on interstate highway bridges, while police and the National Guard just pass them by. It amazes me that we can deploy all kinds of help to other countries in trouble, but we can't take care of our own in a timely manner.

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old August 31st, 2005, 08:51 PM
Admiral

Jim:

I was watching CNN tonite and saw dozens of looters coming out with their hands full. Would you pull the trigger on dozens of people? How would you determine which ones to shoot first. There are other ways to stop people from stealing and looting beside killing them.

The government was aware of a catastrophe coming to NOLA. They should have had a plan to help the ones, for whatever reason, couldn't evacuate.

Bill
Old August 31st, 2005, 09:49 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to banker Send a message via Yahoo to banker

In the immediate lawless situation, no power, phones, water, food, police cars running short on gas, cops actually hungry working thru the night.........

you see a guy stealing a plasma tv.....

SHOOT damn it.

The rest might think twice. If cops try to stop mobs by reading them their rights and asking them to go to church then they themselves may be shot. Drastic action to PROTECT the people we want to protect.

Oh, and someone mentioned sympathy with looters because they may need these items in the future, to what, bargain with an ipod for a loaf of bread?? give me a break

banker
Old September 1st, 2005, 07:29 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: LOOTING!

I was thinking how negligent it was that N.O. Officials didn't have a bus brigade to drive through the city and transport the poor, invalids, etc. out. But then thinking this out, where would they take them?? No matter what N.O. would do, it would not be enough and they would have been faced with instant lawsuits from all the liberal organizations because the officials didn't put them up in fine hotels and then feed /clothe them until their homes were restored back in New Orleans. It is a no win situation and the poor suffer because of our litigious society and the entitlements they are owed once the government steps in to try to help them.

John L.
Old September 1st, 2005, 03:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

I say SHOOT - to KILL - These are animals - not humans. They only reason they did
not leave the city before the storm- This was planned, this is one of their many ways
to get free, free, anything they can steal or get from the goverment for FREE -
They are the lowest of the low. There was a way for anybody that wanted to leave to leave. Don't let them fool you - The mayor of New Orleans begged them to leave.
We deal with them everyday, the people from the north - claim we are predjuce.
Do you see why we are now - This is their way of life - by choice I might add.
They have the same oppurtunities my children as well as myself has had.
Even better - equal opportunity - Discrimination - that is reversed.
The do not want to work, will not work, when you hire them.
Why should they, just have babies and the goverment will support you.
They are now being housed in shelters all around us. I grant you - there are just as many deserving ones as ones that aren't worth the bullet to shoot them.
They are looting our stores, jumping on our cars - trying to steal them.
Rioting in the shelters. How ungrateful can you be. My god we have donated tons
of food , clothes, toys - and then they ask us - Is that all you have?
When do we take charge of our rights?
Old September 1st, 2005, 04:10 PM
Admiral

It really has nothing to do with race or religion etc but rather by upbringing. Criminals are just that and it does not matter about anything else. Martial Law has been declared and that is done to force those that will not act civilized to do so. You will not shoot very many of these criminals, (most of who are actually pretty hardcore BTW), when looting will quickly stop. I forget which major city it was that had riots for some reason and the Mayor declared on TV that he was directing his Officers to shoot looters on sight. Guess what, looting ceased immediately thereafter! Sounds like a plan to me.
Jim