Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 12th, 2005, 10:43 PM
Admiral

Default I'm Going Out of My Mind!!!

I have just spent the most frustrating hour on this board and I am ready to SCREAM!! Each time I click on a post, it takes 5 mins. to open. When I answer a post, it doesn't post because I keep forgetting to click on "signature". I tried to fix that in my profile, it didn't work. I tried to add an avatar using a picture that is in the photo gallery (which I finally found), but that wouldn't take either because it says it was not a jpg. If it wasn't a jpg, then how did it get in the photo gallery in the first place? I hate having to click page 2 and page 3 to follow a thread because it takes 5 mins. to upload each page. I am frustrated beyond belief and do not like this new format at all!!!
And just to prove it, here is my Smiley emoticom: :evil:

donna
Old September 12th, 2005, 10:47 PM
Familiar Face

Default new format will definetly take time to adapt

RD, it threw me for loops too and i condsider myself computer savvy... we'll just have to work at it...

Could be a good "session" to have to learn all of the new features

Read and post cruise reviews
Old September 12th, 2005, 10:54 PM
Admiral

Default Fed Up!

I have tried to change things and add things in my profile I don't know how many times and it doesn't take. I took a jpg photo right out of the CM gallery to put in the avatar and it refuses to take it because "it's not jpg"!!
I tried to add info, location, time, change my password to something I can remember, and tried to permanently install my signature, and it still comes up blank. HELLLLLLPPPPP!!!

donna (who so far has only figured out how to use the bold and the stupid smilies!)
Old September 12th, 2005, 10:56 PM
Administrator
Admiral

It's going to be OK Donna. Just go to your happy place and think about a balcony and blue water. Now think about warm sun on your face and the warm breeze on your skin. Do you feel it? OK. BTW Your robe is open and the guy next door can see your reflection in the balcony glass.

Be patient little one. It will soon settle down and the bugs will be squished, the database problems will be worked out and all will be well. Until then there may be a few bumps in the road but it will be better. Just think how terrible people look right after a face lift........................ Then again some of them look pretty bad a few months later.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old September 12th, 2005, 10:57 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Skype™ to fllady

RD, same thing is happening to me. I am giving up and going to bed. good Nite. :evil:
Old September 12th, 2005, 10:58 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1

I am sorry you are having problems. I was able to get to and change everything on first attempt. Takes a split second for my pages to load. Hopefully all the kinks others are having will be worked out soon and everyone can enjoy the new boards as much as I do.
Jodi
Old September 12th, 2005, 11:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi Donna!

I have been gone a while and now I am back and I freaked out :o ! This is so much like the Cruise Critic website! It took me a while to get used to it. So much for your comfort zone!
11/10/05
Explorer of the Seas 9/19/2004
Rhapsody 9/2003
Old September 12th, 2005, 11:24 PM
Admiral

I'm with you, Donna. Heck, I can't even find my profile. There used to be a box "My Profile", but now I don't see that anywhere. I don't know where my signature is anymore. Every time I hit my "back" button, I get thrown all the way back to my "Favorites" page! When I tried to reply to your post, the system asked me to log in (even though I had logged in just earlier). I keep getting several pages of what looks like programmer gobbledegook (you know, alpha/numeric stuff that you can't read).

Am I the only one with these problems? I still haven't seen any info from the "experts" explaining the changes that have suddenly been made. Someone just commented that CM's format is now like CC's. That is not true as far as I'm concerned. I find CruiseCritics's format to be very user friendly and simple to use. I'm very discouraged at what's happened here at CM. The voting thus far seems to bear out my feelings somewhat, with about 35% of those responding either "hating" it or "lost in space".

Hang in there, Donna. I know that many members are saying how great things are. As for me, however,I don't think that this "new format" is right for me. Unless the board administrators offer me some help and/or encouragement via email or by posting some tutorial help, I'll probably be out of here soon. Sorry.

Jack
Cruise #25, Monarch OTS 11/28/2011, Bahamas
Old September 12th, 2005, 11:26 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1

I see the what you think is similar to CC, but I also see that this is much easier to navgate, loads faster, amd all my friends ae here. I like being able to see how many people have viewed my posts and how many left messages. I think this beats CC hands down with the setup and options - I like my pic next to my posts....
Jodi
Old September 12th, 2005, 11:28 PM
Admiral

Default I'm Going Out of My Mind!

MIKE!! you're back! Thank goodness, my saviour!! I have to say your reply made me laugh out loud and put a smile back on my face. Thanks "little buddy" I know you're always there for me!
I'm giving up now, and going to bed. Try, try again tomorrow...

donna
Old September 12th, 2005, 11:39 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimJack
There used to be a box "My Profile", but now I don't see that anywhere. I don't know where my signature is anymore. Every time I hit my "back" button, I get thrown all the way back to my "Favorites" page! When I tried to reply to your post, the system asked me to log in (even though I had logged in just earlier). I keep getting several pages of what looks like programmer gobbledegook (you know, alpha/numeric stuff that you can't read).

Jack
Jack:
At the top of the page you will see Profile. It is with all of the other underlined words: Home,PM's,Help,Members,etc. Click that and it will take you to your profile and you can set it up.

Also: Instead of hitting the "Back" button. Hit the "Home" key and click on the "Chit Chat For Cruisers" at the top of the Thread. It should be in Purple. That should work for your WebTV system.

Give it a try.
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

Old September 12th, 2005, 11:44 PM
Admiral

I guess I should be happy I found my profile--hahaha but I dont have one so thats no problem--- at least the board isnt slow for me-----
I feel your frustration and I cant find my Happy Place-----
Oh well I'm happy to see some familar names and see some new faces
Taking to myself saying change is good change is good but no one is listening------------
April======= looking for my cheers
Old September 12th, 2005, 11:46 PM
Administrator
Admiral

BTW:
There was some work going on earlier. That was part of the reason Donna was going out of her mind and that the site was slow and people were receiving database errors.

Take care,
Mike

Old September 12th, 2005, 11:59 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I think what MAY be causing some people problems as well is using their old favorites links to get here.
I say this, because it was a problem I was having yesterday when the new boards "went public".

I clicked on HOME, then entered the message boards from there, and readded it to my "favorite places", and that solved all my problems with bad links , and being directed to the wrong places, etc.

There's already changes being made to try and improve things on "our end". Notice that there's no longer a message after posting, asking if you want to view your post or return to the forum! The message now just posts, and you automatically go back.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old September 13th, 2005, 12:26 AM
Admiral

Well, I'll reserve judgement until I have used it a few times, but so far it's not encouraging. I've already had to log in 3 times in the last 10 minutes! Is there any way that we can keep the "attach signature" checked permanently like before?

Jennifer
Old September 13th, 2005, 12:32 AM
Admiral

Jen.. in the PROFILES area, there's a "circle" to "check/click".. to show signature always.

When you log in, are you "checking" to save your password? That could be what's causing it to log you out each time.

On the old boards I'd get logged out twenty times a day. Hasn't happened to me once on these boards in two days.
Old September 13th, 2005, 08:32 PM
Admiral

I found that if you have CM's in your Favorite Places, you have to delete it and then save it to your Favorites again. (I had mine in two places, so check if you think you might have more than one ) I've saved mine as the "CruiseMates.com Forum Index" instead of the Home page. It shows up in Favorite Places as: Cruisemates.com::Index.

I haven't been logged out yet, either. Yea!

Maybe this will help someone

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old September 13th, 2005, 09:57 PM
Admiral

Default I'm Going Crazy . . .!

RD, you'ved probably gone to bed by now. But I wanted you to realize how far you've come in dratted computerize! You regularly post pictures, you know how to do a signature. I can't do those things.

My board tastes are much simpler. Nobody will ever see my picture; they'll be in shock when they see me before the Cruise of the Century. I have no idea how to post pics, so they'll never see my bad photography. Yours are great, BTW. I really like pictures of Emma, and I enjoyed pics of the Carribbean bedroom. Hope you post more picsof the dog; she looks beautful.

Get a good night's sleep, get some geek to help you, and things will be fine.

Judy
Old September 14th, 2005, 06:47 AM
Admiral

Default Thanks, Fern!

Fern, you are a lifesaver. Thanks for your tip about deleting and resetting your Favorites page. It was right on the mark in my case. And I should express my thanks to MikeM as well, for all the help he has given me in the past 24 hours.

Thanks, Fern and Mike! I'm starting to feel a little better about myself. Now if I could only figure out how to change the color of the background when I read the posts of others.

Jack
Cruise #25, Monarch OTS 11/28/2011, Bahamas
Old September 14th, 2005, 06:54 AM
Familiar Face

Default THis new board stinks!!!!!!!!

This new board looks just like Cruise critics board and I quit going to their web sight because I find it is not user friendly. It is too confusing trying to find anything. Well this will be the last posting for me!!!

The old saying "If it ain't broken don't try and fix!"
Old September 14th, 2005, 07:25 PM
Admiral

Hi Jack,

Glad it worked for you! I'm nearly computer illiterate, so I think I look at things differently than the "literate" people .

Half the time I don't even understand the words in the instructions that "some" people post.

For instance, "in order to post a picture it must be on the Internet". How do you get a personal picture on the Internet? Where do you find "generic" pictures? If a picture is in an E-mail, is it "on the Internet"?

I think you mentioned that you use WebTV and are seeing white as gray? As I've been married a long time, I'd suggest you get out the WebTV book and read the instructions

Good luck!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old September 14th, 2005, 08:39 PM
Admiral

Quote:
evie

This new board looks just like Cruise critics board and I quit going to their web sight because I find it is not user friendly. It is too confusing trying to find anything. Well this will be the last posting for me!!!

The old saying "If it ain't broken don't try and fix!"
Evie... While there's some similarities to the CC boards, it's only in bare aesthetics. The functionality here is VERY different... and MUCH easier to use.
What I find REALLY FUNNY though is you took the time to go through the registration process (which you obviously figured out) just to post your ONE and only post, saying you won't be back