Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 12th, 2005, 10:54 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1
Default Hawaii Luau

Just booked the Old Lahaina Luau in Maui. Anyone been there? What to expect?? We did a lot of research and this one kept coming up as one of the better ones.

Jodi
Sponsored Links
Old September 12th, 2005, 11:30 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Jodi.. its the best luau in the Islands. The food is average, but the show is good, and the setting is just BEAUTIFUL
Old September 13th, 2005, 01:37 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Gotta agree with Kuki on this one. The drinks are free, the food is so-so, the program is great, but the setting is just beautiful and you get to watch the sunset and moon rise over the ocean through a grove of palm trees.....just magical! Now, if I still had a scanner, I could scan in a pic of Kuki and some other of the Original Get Lei'd bunch in coconut bras and grass skirts............
Old September 13th, 2005, 02:15 PM
Admiral

Jodi, Old Lahaina is the best Luau in all of Hawaii. The setting is great (fab sunsets over Lanai). Staff is friendly and attentive. Show is classy not flashy. Drinks a good and unending. Luau food is Luau food, not much one can do to make it great.
Old November 8th, 2005, 07:27 PM
Admiral

And let me tell you, the show was BETTER once Kuki got started !

I on the other hand was the picture of decorum!
Old November 8th, 2005, 07:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

I have never been to the one on maui but on Oahu we went to the Paradise Cove Luau got the preferred seating paid $ 70.00 a person all you could drink anything , free picture, free leis and we got to enter the place before everyone else prioprity entrance...It was awesome. We evn got brought our plates to out table and did not have to go to the buffet and the show was fantastic...if anyone is on Oahu go to Paradise Cove and it is worth it to splurge for the extra special package. FYI
Old November 8th, 2005, 09:16 PM
Captain

Good choice, the luau was great, I enjoyed it! Food, just banquet food anytime you are serving that many outdoors! :-) But as others have said, the entertainment, the surroundings, sunset/moonrise, wonderful!

As for the decorum part, hmmmm, our group isn't usually known for being long on decorum!
Old November 9th, 2005, 09:39 AM
Admiral

Look, Luau food is Luau food. Poi will never taste good. Old Lahaina is the best Luau in Hawaii, period, end of story. Service is superb from the moment you arrive, the show is fabulous and the setting , with the sunset over Lanaii is drop dead gorgeous. Drinks are unlimited and you can have them made fresh and with as much booze as you want. There is no fire dancer as this is a Hawaiin based Luau and fire dancing is Samoan.
Other good Luau's would be Hyatt on Maui, Germaines or Paradise Cove on Oahu and Smith's on Kauai. All these are very good, Old Lahaina is the class of the class.
Old November 9th, 2005, 11:38 AM
Cruise Maniac

Hi:

I have to agree with the others. I was at the Old Lahaina Luau on Maui just a month ago (boy it seems longer) and it was our second time there. We were on the Radiance Hawaii Cruise from Vancouver and it was the first time I had made a reservation that wasn't associated with the ship, but I knew what a treat it was, having been to it before a few years ago. I called and made the reservation several months before our cruise and we absolutely got the very best seats we could have gotten. I was really impressed. It was the highlight of our trip. The weather was perfect, the show was fabulous and I even thought the food was very good; not to mention all of the great new drinks. I tried one that I hadn't tried before. It was called a "Lava" drink. I have to admit that I had several of these they were so good. We took the traditional seating, as opposed to sitting on the mats and we were seated right in front; couldn't have asked for a better seat. Had trouble getting a cab afterwards. There were plenty of them, but one lady cab driver stopped and she was Oriental and told us she only picked up Orientals. Thought that was a little strange. We finally found another couple from our ship and finally got a cab and shared the expense. We got back to the tender line right before all the buses that were coming back from the ship's tour luau. After hearing of their luau and the fact that they didn't have unlimited drinks and some other things, I was sure we had made the right choice. My husband was just in heaven after the show as the pretty hula girls were waiting to get their picture taken with anyone who wanted a picture and boy you should have seen all the guys waiting to have their picture taken. In my opinion, and I have been to other luauas in Hawaii, this one is the very best. Have fun.
Happy Cruising.....Buddy
PS Sorry this is so long but it brought back memories of our vacation a month ago and now that I'm back to work, I need those memories to keep me going until our next cruise.