Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 4th, 2005, 05:18 PM
Admiral

Default Disney Wonder Review Day 3 Castaway Cay

Day 3 Castaway Cay, Bahamas

I forgot to mentioned that the night before our new friends had told us they booked a Catamaran snorkeling excursion on the Island. My daughter wanted to this also but it collided with my Cabana massage at 9am.I had booked the Cabana massage online and was very much looking forward to it. But this cruise was mainly for my daughter and we tried to get the massage re scheduled. In the morning I got up before my daughter and went upstairs to get some coffee and a chocolate croissant. On deck 9 they always had coffee, pastries, cookies and a soda fountain. I was impressed with the FREE soda. I am not a soda drinker but I know most other cruise lines now charge you for it which I find tacky. Sipping my coffee in my pajamas I watched as the ship came closer to the island. I had heard a lot about Disney's own island and was hoping everything was true. After my coffee I went to wake up my daughter and we went to the Beach Blanket Buffet for breakfast. It was the usual stuff plus they had an omelet station. Scoops made hot fresh chocolate and plain waffles in the form of Mickey ears. Scoops also had ice cream through out the day with all sorts of toppings and we tried it out once. It was very good and they did not charge for it! Nice touch! The thing I did not care for was the scrambled eggs, very watery. But the bacon was very crispy which I like. Afterwards we made our way to the Spa to see what I could do about my massage. They told me there wasn't another time available and they would charge me half <$70> if I would cancel it. I wasn't too happy but this was my fault not theirs! Right after we got off the ship we made it to the shore excursion desk on the island and booked the Catamaran/snorkeling trip. We waited by the Catamaran for about 1/2 HR and then our friends came off the ship. The Catamaran was beautiful and the ride to the snorkeling spot refreshing. I was a little nervous but my daughter was very excited! Before we went into the water we saw a giant turtle swimming lazily in the water. The snorkeling went well. I can't put that rubber piece in my mouth but I still saw many fish. The coral reefs are awesome and we saw many different colored fish. We had 1 HR to snorkel and the time flew by. It was tiring but we did not notice until after we got back on the Catamaran. The day before on Blue Lagoon Island we got sunburned pretty well so I insisted on putting factor 45 on after the snorkeling. Afterwards they gave out free chips, pretzels, water and juice. What is nice at the Disney Island is that they have a shuttle take you to the main areas<kind of like the ones at Busch Gardens from the parking lot> so we did not have to walk with our bag, towels etc. We checked out the shops and bought nothing. We proceeded to the lunch area and ate lunch. Again, it was just okay. We both had a cheese burger and some salad. I made sure we drank plenty of water since it was so hot. I had booked a banana boat ride since my daughter wanted to do it and we walked down to the beach to get on it. They had a cooler there where you could store your stuff and off we went. This was the worse ride of my life. The boat pulling us went very fast and I kept jumping up and down. I had a very hard time holding onto the little rope in front of me due to my arthritis in my fingers I assume. I kept falling off to the left and some guy kept kinda holding me<how he managed that I have no clue> Finally the boat stopped and I told them to slow down but I don't think anyone was listening to me. They told us to stretch our fingers and off we went again. I could hardly hold on and then I saw a Barracuda in the water! I was so afraid to fall into the water so I closed my eyes, prayed to God and held on. I fell again to the left where the guy was holding me and I did not even try to go back to my seat. It;s a miracle I did not fall off. When the banana boat ride finally stopped I could barely move. My hands hurt and my arms would not move down. I barely made it to another place where my daughter got me a cup of water. I was not able to hold the cup, she fed me the water. After I caught my breath we stopped at the beach and my daughter wanted to go in the water. I put myself on a lounge chair to relax. I wasn't able to move my arms or my fingers without great pain. I finally managed to get up and join my daughter in the water. The water was very murky at this spot and something kept stinging us. We both decided it was time to leave. I know my daughter was tired so we made it back to the ship by around 130pm.We both took a shower and I was still in my towel when we both fell asleep with TV and lights on! When I woke up I remembered my daughter was to meet her new friend at the Oceaneer club at 5pm to make a Disney animation cell. We had to hurry but I could barely move and was very concerned about my arms. I had pulled a few muscles and it took a few days for it to get better. I had to sleep with a pillow under my arm so it was elevated. After I dropped off my daughter my new friend and I went to the adult only coffee shop. I stopped in there before and had my iced coffee <for a fee>which was very good. The Cove Cafe was a quiet spot behind the adult only pool and it had magazines, head sets for the big screen TV and just a nice spot to relax. We spent time talking and in no time it was time to go to dinner. The menu wasn't anything to write home about but the company made up for the food. That night they had "Hilarious Comedy&Ventriloquism at the theater and I had no interest. So my daughter tagged along with her new friend and Mom and we made a time to meet upstairs for the big show 'Pirates in the Caribbean Party." from 945pm-1130pm. Rumor had it there would be fireworks too and I thought this would be so neat to see. While my daughter was at the theater I wrote some e-mails and just checked out the ship a bit. The show later was wonderful and the kids had a lot of fun. We saw Mickey, Minnie and off course Cpt Hook. Someone flew through the air and after that fireworks! I don't know of any other cruise line that does fire works in the middle of the ocean...very cool! Afterwards they had a small buffet and we just had some chips with dip and one bite of cake which I did not like. After that we went back to our cabin and to be honest I was glad. I was in a lot of pain with my arms but the right one was very bad as I could not straighten it. I took some Tylenol and was hoping for the best! Off course daughter ordered chocolate chips cookies again with Chocolate milk and we went to sleep. Next day: Sea day!
Old October 4th, 2005, 06:03 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Angela Z.

Sorry to hear about the banana boat ride but otherwise sounds like a perfect mother/daughter get away!
Angela Z.
Old October 4th, 2005, 10:29 PM
Admiral

Sounds great so far Sue. I expressed an interest in trying the Banana Boat ride the first time I saw one on a cruise, but my husband warned me that he had tried it once and nearly pulled both his arms out of their sockets, and that he would never do it again. I guess he was right!
I hope your arms and hands are feeling better now.

donna
Old October 5th, 2005, 09:02 AM
Admiral

again another great review! Sorry to hear that you got sunburned and pulled some muscles in your arms. Teens went on banana boat ride on our last trip, they had a blast, but they were complaining afterwards that the arms were sore.
Old October 5th, 2005, 09:07 AM
Admiral

Thanks for the kind remarks and replies. I am not the best writer since I am native german but I try Yeah that banana boat ride is evil
Old October 5th, 2005, 10:04 AM
Admiral

I'm enjoying your review, and your pictures Sue. Thanks!

Have you played CruiseMates Cruise Trivia Today?