Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 10th, 2005, 09:51 AM
Admiral

Default Need ideas picking gifts for German relatives!

Okay we will buy all the gifts this year here since the Euro is still a bit too strong for our pocket book. We need to buy gifts for my aunt<80> Papa<78> step mother <55> plus her family<sister 44,kids dh>
Any good ideas? Last time we bought them heating pads you throw in the microwave. But her sister does not believe in micro waves so she could not use it
My dad wants a bottle of "Wild Turkey" I am not a drinker but I guess I bring one? Any ideas?
Old November 10th, 2005, 10:06 AM
Admiral

something made locally or a product that is specific to your area would be nice.
Old November 10th, 2005, 02:28 PM
Admiral

A cruise is always nice! Carnival will even wrap it! 8)

Triumph-9-10-05 First Cruise
Caribbean Princess-9-13-06
Victory- 9-15-07-New England

**A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.**
Old November 10th, 2005, 05:29 PM
Admiral

Don't forget the peanut butter for your dad. Seriously I am gift challenged. I may use some of the ideas you get for my own family.

Phyll
Old November 10th, 2005, 06:12 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to banker Send a message via Yahoo to banker

every German loves David Hasselhoff stuff

banker
Old November 10th, 2005, 08:47 PM
First Mate

Hi Sue...my DH has two German ladies that work for him, so I asked him
to call them for some hints. They told him: American booze & any kind of nice glasswear or china pieces. She has two other sisters that come to visit, & one always buys sets of drinking glasses & the other one buys clothes. My DH also has an aunt that was German & went back over to
visit her family, about every two years. She took electric can openers, electric skillets & silver dollars for all the kids.

I am sure that you will come up with some great ideas & whatever you
take will be very appreciated.

Good luck...
Old November 10th, 2005, 09:52 PM
Admiral

Sue, can you get Santa decorative stuff in Florida like I've seen in the Caribbean? I mean Santa in a swimsuit, or Santa on a surfboard, or on the beach, that sort of thing. I think your family in cold snowy Germany, may get a kick out of a Florida Santa decorative ornament. Living here in cold snowy Montreal, I thought those kind of things were cute to hang on the tree, or decorate a table.

donna
Old November 11th, 2005, 07:52 AM
Admiral

I'm not sure about the older generation, but the teenagers that were just in our area for the German Exchange did a lot of shopping. The all wanted to buy stuff that had American Emblems on them such as shirts from American Eagle and Abercrombie and Fitch. The teens on you list might like something like that. They also brough tons of food items back with them - Oreos seemed to be a big deal
Old November 11th, 2005, 08:35 AM
Admiral

how about a decorative commerative Christmas ornament, check out your local Christmas craft bazaars.
Old November 11th, 2005, 08:46 AM
Admiral

These are some great ideas!!! Thanks!!!! My family is not into tacky stuff at all but I like RD ideas!
Yesterday I went to Pier 1 and bought my step mother's sisters family a ceramic bottle and cups for bread dipping<like in the italian restaurants> I will buy some dried herbs here and the olive oil in Germany. I hope they will like it!
For the kids I thought I pick up a smores maker? We bought our kids one last year and they love it. We would bring the chocolate, marshmallows , crackers also. The kids are the same age as ours.
I thought my step mother I could pick up a Yankee candle? Lisa K I will look for that, good idea! Maybe I bring a key lime pie? I was also thinking to bring a box of oranges? Off course I can not wrap anything until I get there..customs!