Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 10th, 2005, 07:45 PM
Admiral

Default sticker shock - airfare to London

My mom is planning on going back to England for her sister 60th bday next year... we just started pricing last night... MAN I almost fell over backwards.... I havent been to UK since 1990, the price has more than TRIPLED !!!! Anyone know of any tricks to get the price down ? Weve tried flying out of Dallas, Houston, Orlando, Newark.... still looking @ close to $1000 or more per person... I told them @ that price I am definitely not going as I could go on a cruise instead.... lol !

Steph
Sponsored Links
Old November 10th, 2005, 10:48 PM
Admiral

Steph:

What time of year? If you were booking summer time now, I can understand the price. At other times of year, you might want to wait for special. I know Orbitz (and probably travelocity and expedia) has fare watch function. Put in your dates and price you are looking for. I would register at all three sites.

Don't forget cheaptickets.com also.

edited to add:

I just priced Orlando to London, leaving on 31 March and coming home on 10 April. Nonstop on Virgin was $664 and one stop on USAir was $599. Both very reasonable fares.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old November 10th, 2005, 11:12 PM
Admiral

check out air lingus from JFK to Dublin and then a connection to london
Old November 11th, 2005, 12:17 AM
Admiral

bad thing is my moms sister wants to return on same flight, so we are trying to plan far enough ahead to make it doable for both of them...thanks for your thoughts
Old November 11th, 2005, 12:29 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Take the suggestions above plus I like to use Qixo.com. When I find a low fare I always go directly to the airlines website and look for the lowest flights listed by other sites. You will usually save, at least, the surcharge added by the other sites.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old November 11th, 2005, 07:25 AM
First Mate

Location: Near Liz's favourite home, Windsor Castle, Berkshire, U.K.

Steph,

I find that amazing too!!! From the UK side we can fly out to the US for as little as £250.00 return flight to PHOENIX as we have done many times, and flights to NYC are also very reasonable.

In the end you are doing the same journey just the other way round. I was wondering if there is any way you can try a trick and book your ticket from the UK seaboard, know that sometimes deals can be done like this.

Like others have suggested, I would keep looking - try Virgin, they are always good and look at Ba.com as well.

Good luck

Regards,
KG
Old November 11th, 2005, 09:02 AM
Admiral

Try condor.com! A german airline that has good prices. I am not sure if they fly out where you are from?! Our tickets to Germany from FT Myers to Frankfurt for 5 people $2250. This included $86 from Frankfurt to Ft Myers! But we booked these in June and now they are almost $4000! Just keep checking...good luck!