Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 26th, 2005, 02:54 PM
Admiral

Default Thanksgiving, New Orleans Style, "The Storm"

I spent Thanksgiving at my GF's family gathering and when everyone was going around the table after the blessing and before the serving of our meal, everyone thanked God for being alive and how special this year's gathering was in light of Katrina

During the meal everyone told both a Katrina story and then a FEMA story and then we all watch PBS which showed "The Storm" which documented, as only PBS can, not only the Storm, but how FEMA came about, why it failed and how politics on the federal level played a key role
in the post Katrina fiasco

My conclusion after Thursday's meal,was, we should all stop and realize how quickly life can change in ways one would never think of and it was with some irony that I watch the big send off of people shopping for material possessions for Christmas, when people impacted by Katrina have learned the lesson that physical "things" are not as important as knowing where your love ones are..Perhaps this Christmas, people will go back to the true meaning of the holidays
Sponsored Links
Old November 26th, 2005, 03:12 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Venice:

It is a hard way to realize the true meaning of Thanksgiving. I do wish you and everyone in New Orleans and the surrounding areas didn't have to go through what they did but I am glad that they are able to be alive to be thankful for it.

I hope all of us remember all of the people who are not as fortunate as we are, at this holiday time. A gift to a charity to help those ravished by the hurricanes will help immensely.

I know Betty will always have a warm place to sleep this year. (She takes all the covers.)

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old November 26th, 2005, 03:21 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

That was a good way to put it Venice. I still think there is a reason for everything, and as the time goes by, I see more and more of why. I have spent the last two weeks helping to test our kiddos from N.O. and the school system down there is in need of repair. Even those testing high, are far behind the kids here. We also have 7 child molesters from there. They are trying to move I hear, because we watch them like a hawk here. Example: Halloween night, they were not allowed to have their front lights on. This is the sign here that you have candy. They had to call in if they left the house. We have published their names, and addresses.

I too wish that things will get back to normal there. maybe with the problem people out of the way, and a spot light on things that were wrong, it will come back better than ever.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old November 26th, 2005, 04:06 PM
Admiral

New Orleans will always hold a special spot in my heart and there are some people there that I shall never forget because THEY ARE New Orleans ( Nawlins ). I am glad you people are able to give thanks. If not for the bad things that happen in our life, then the good things would never mean anything to us. God Bless all of you in La, Ms, and Al.