Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 2nd, 2005, 01:32 PM
Admiral

Default Who Cares ??? (my 3 second rant)

I may be a little sensitive in my old age..I was raised by my parents to read at least (time permitting-and not including school and homework) one hour per day..My Dad taught us to read 2-3 newspapers every day (in my case since I grew up in upstate New York- The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal-The Christian Science Monitor-to get a "balanced view of the world) and read a good book at night at least 30 minutes before we went to sleep (we were not allowed to watch tv after 8 pm during a school week but didn't have to be sleep untill 9 pm)

I taught my son that good habit also and today I read via the internet several newpapers every morning and I am just sick and tired of reading about celebrities and their non news events that pass as news..I could give a "rats behind" whether Ben and who ever are sleeping together, whether someone who is a big ex football player got pulled over for a speeding ticket and has drugs in his car, whether Tom Cruise and what's her name are having a baby..to me that's not news yet it takes up headlines and the lead on the evening news

I also am concerned about how the majority of Americans receive the news via the cable tv networks and form their opinions based upon whether they watch cable MSNBC or Fox News. I gain greater appreciation of different views of what's going on in our country by reading the editorial page and most important the "Op-Ed" page

I fear we as Americans are not using 1/10 of our minds and allow the media to shape our opinions on important issues of the day

Am I just becoming an old f*&^%^t about this ? Thanks for letting me get this off my chest..Now about cruising ....

How are our children going to understand that
Sponsored Links
Old December 2nd, 2005, 01:53 PM
Yeoman

I agree with you. I am a heavy reader, and my son is getting that way too. But, he is a news hound, and comes to inform me about everything that happens. News to me isn't about who is doing what with whatever, or who dresses the best etc. I always wondered, if you took all that out of the news, and to go a bit further, take out all the shootings and other unhappiness, what would our news be? On TV it would be ten minutes because only negative things happen. I wish that for one day, the news would be all about happiness.

I quit watching the TV because i have enough trouble and depression in my own world, I really can't handle the rest. Not to say it isn't news worthy, but so depressing.

In the papers, yes, they have good things, but geeze! I can go on forever with the "hot news" on celebrities, sports players, millionaires who are bored, I would be red in the face with bloody stubs for fingers typing about it all.

Suffice to say, I am right there with you!
Old December 2nd, 2005, 01:57 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Venice, I know what you are talking about. I to have a problem with the lack of readers in the world, but times have changed. It's not a very good excuse, but is a fact of life. I am a big believer in reading, and as I get older, I care less and less about who is doing who thing, but it is very popular in our culture. I am forever trying to get my students to read more. We even have a program with our local paper where they give us newspapers for the kids to read in class. When there is a special assignment, and the kids need to draw information from the papers, we have to supply most of them, because you find fewer and fewer papers in the homes.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old December 2nd, 2005, 03:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

Funny you mention this. A girlfriend of mine has been studying in Europe and I ask her the difference and she says that all the "kids" have papers in their hands reading everyday. They know and want to know more about current events and what is going on in the world where she thought American kids live in their own world so to speak...

I'm not sure what is best - I tried to read more after talking to her and found I was more stressed and depressed and disollusioned on life than ever and thought I might just stick to romance novels and my life and turn the TV off before the news comes on....

Debbie
Old December 2nd, 2005, 06:04 PM
Yeoman

Default Post reply

When I was in school (no, it wasn't a covered wagon)! we had the "look it up club". That is ingrained in me and I read anything in front of me. My youngest daughter is the same, but I find it hard to read a book. Maybe now that I'm retired I will get to the book store more often. Two weeks retired and I'm loving it, but we will see how that shakes out after the holidays and the cruise.

Betty
cruise #19 booked: Crown Princess, 9/30/06

cruise #20 booked: Carnival Liberty, 1/14/07
Old December 2nd, 2005, 09:25 PM
Admiral

Hi venice,

No, you are not an "old f*&^%^".

I read our local newspaper every day. I also get some news from the Internet, but find that the local paper has the most reliable news.

I hate to see children getting their "news" from the Internet!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old December 3rd, 2005, 12:19 AM
Admiral

You are right on, right on, and right on!!!!!

The other thing that gets me is the lack of consideration for the reader when posting on the internet. Please, use punctuation, capital letters, and periods so the readers can understand what you are saying. By being lazy about these things the poster is forcing the reader to interpret what you are saying.

Regards,
Thomas