Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 12th, 2005, 03:59 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Talk about the WEIRD things people will do.

I've been in the hospitality business for over 30 years, and just when you think you've seen it all.......

This morning, as every Monday, I did our payroll. We pay the staff with cash in envelopes weekly. We make all the deductions etc, but give them cash which we think is handier for them, doesn't add the cost of writing them a check to our expenses, plus the banks now charge service fees for depositing cash for the business. So, because a lot of our business is in cash this makes some sense for us.

At any rate, each Monday morning, I leave the pay envelopes for the upstairs staff (desk clerks, chambermaids, and cocktail lounge staff) at the front desk, and the employees swing by through the course of the day and pick up their pay.

This morning the desk clerk (who has been with us over 2 years,and has been an excellent employee, always volunteering to work extra if someone was sick etc) simply took off mid shift with the pay envelopes, and the room receipts from this mornings transactions.

Particularly strange since a half hour earlier he had turned in all the room receipts from the day prior.

He lived in the building, because I gave him a deal on his rent since he was such a good employee. And when he left, he left all his belongings in his room.

All in all he left with just slightly over $2000. Not exactly enough money to run off and start a new life

Strange thing is, I liked the guy so much, if he was in a financial bind of some sort, I'd have probably loaned him the money.

I called the police, and unfortunately they're likely to find this fellow sitting in a bus stop somewhere, and he's like to just end up going to jail.
Weird!!! Can't imagine what he was thinking!
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Sponsored Links
Old December 12th, 2005, 04:35 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Kuki, that is strange. Do the police think about the fact that he was not involved, but the victim of something?

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old December 12th, 2005, 04:40 PM
Admiral

That sure is strange, Kuki. Makes you think of all sorts of possibilities. It's hard to believe that someone so loyal would do something like that, but who knows. Sorry it had to happen to you.

Phyll
Old December 12th, 2005, 04:47 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Wow Kuki,
Very strange story, please keep us posted. You think you know someone and something like this happens, weird??

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 12th, 2005, 05:59 PM
Captain

Did he sniff a lot and act hyper?
Old December 12th, 2005, 06:33 PM
Admiral

Ya just can't tell sometimes. I'm gonna go with maybe something happened to him and he really isn't involved. Let us know what happens.

Carnival Glory
Old December 12th, 2005, 06:38 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to banker Send a message via Yahoo to banker

I was thinking the same thing sailinggal, there must have been other issues troubling this person. Mental illness would be ruled out because you knew the guy Kuki. Maybe he got himself into trouble and was running to get away in general (not just to get away with the money). I agree with you, it's puzzling. I mean really, what the hell is 2000 bucks today anyway? Does he have family you can contact? Do you know if he has a criminal past? You should hear some of the rediculous things people try when robbing a bank!! Some of these people are really unhinged in some way. They do the stupidest things, and apparently not thinking that cops take bank robbery very very seriously.

banker
Old December 12th, 2005, 06:44 PM
Admiral

Call the RCMP! They always get their man. Does lift an eyebrow though as he did turn in receipts hours before and left all his belongings. That is unusual. Actually I hope he is a thief and they catch him. The alternative is that something bad happened to him and I don't wish that on him. I assume they checked his record to see if he is a crook. It is possible he stole it as crooks are not too awfully bright but it pays to check all reasons as well.
Jim
Old December 12th, 2005, 06:44 PM
Captain

I was thinking drugs because I know a guy who stole 30,000 from his church. He is on leave to get better. This is recent so it is fresh on my mind. May have thought the best in the past but this guy shocked everyone. Many people didn't recognize his habit but my DH noticed constant sniffing like a coke addict does.

K
Old December 12th, 2005, 07:20 PM
Admiral

Remember when I posted two weeks ago that I was totally blindsided! Well, lets just say I know exactly how you feel Kuki! Hurts doesn't it? We just like to think we know people, but we really don't.

Hope it works out for you.

Triumph-9-10-05 First Cruise
Caribbean Princess-9-13-06
Victory- 9-15-07-New England

**A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.**
Old December 12th, 2005, 07:47 PM
Admiral

my first thought when reading this was... I cant believe someone hasnt taken off with all the envelopes... then, saw that he did !!

Not far off subject, but a little over 3 yrs ago we were building our house we are now in... at the time we had sold our home & were living in a hotel since this house wasnt ready... well.... our builder, who I loved like a family member (a family member that u like...lol) had run into some trouble on a remodel & the bank had shut down the dfunding on the remodel... so, jokingly I said... I'll loan you some money @ 10% interest!! Later, he called & asked if he could borrow the money & we said SURE WHY NOT ?!?! wrote up contracts, everyone signed & all was well with the world ! Well... 2 weeks before we were suppose to close on the house, he asked if we needed the $$ to close... we said no, so he said ok... I will pay you back after the house behind you closes (4 weeks)... we said GREAT !

2 days after we moved in & I had just gotten out of hospital with IBS problems... he calls & tells my dh that he was filing bankruptcy and listing us as a Debtor !! and on top of that, 17 sub contractors on our house had NOT been paid ! I couldnt believe it... I felt horrible for him @ first, then I just got mad... he knew 2 weeks earlier that he was hurting... but didnt tell us... we really believed in him & thought, well... we will get it back soon... just more interest, etc... boy... were we ever wrong !

We won our lawsuit, which is basically a piece of paper !!!! He has since agreed to pay us $100 a month... and 3 years later... he has paid us a TOTAL of $800 !!! Man, did we get screwed !!!

Kuki, I feel sorry for you... but I know the lesson learned doesnt taste very good !!

Take Care,

Steph
[/b]
Old December 12th, 2005, 09:27 PM
Admiral

Simple--- poor guy was so desperate for a cruise he couldn't stand it any longer--- took the two grand and fled. Be kind--- don't have him arrested ' til he gets back.
Old December 12th, 2005, 10:14 PM
Admiral

- he couldn't stand listening to Kuki talk about all the cruises he goes on, couldn't take it anymore.......

banker
Old December 12th, 2005, 11:14 PM
Admiral

"plus the banks now charge service fees for depositing cash for the business.....Kuki

This is the phrase which struck me senseless. A couple of years ago our bank, Nations Bank, was bought by Bank of America. Now I don't usually make it a habit to go over our bank statement since that is Mrs. Thomas job, but I happened to notice a statement one month which every night had a $3 service charge.

I walked into the bank and asked what this charge was since I don't recall it ever being deducted from our account before. She told me it was the fee for using the night deposit box! ! ! !

I was appalled! She said it was their policy to charge for the night deposit box use. I told her it was my policy not to bank with a company who is going to charge me to put money in their bank! I asked her if their bank made money from depositor's money and of course she said they do, naturally. Then why in the HE!! are you charging people to put money in your bank???

Of course I don't bank there anymore.

Regards,
Thomas
Old December 12th, 2005, 11:35 PM
Admiral

I hate to stick up for banks, but I would like to make a comment.

People think of money as a commodity, or a "good". It is not. Money is a measure. Historically, banks have used money to lend money to make money. But, banks have not "charged" money to keep money.

The fee is for the use of the that particular deposit facility (the night deposit), not the deposit (the deposit itself is a measure).

But now that I've said that, I will say that making money from lending money is becoming less attractive to the bank than making money from using the bank (service fees, account fees, safety box, night deposit, order chq's, etc).

banker
Old December 13th, 2005, 12:27 AM
Admiral

Banker...
I'm surprised we now don't have to give the banks a toaster when we open an account.
Old December 13th, 2005, 12:39 AM
Admiral

I have to disagree with banker about mental illness.
Even close family memebers can be fooled into believeing one of their members are sain, not depressed, not stressed etc.

My guess would be mental illness, CRY*&$L M%$^H or a loan shark?

Celebrity Constellation November 2010

TALLY HO!!!
Chin Chin and all that!
Old December 13th, 2005, 04:13 AM
Admiral

Send me all the measure you want banker.

The bank is charging me 7% on my loan, paying 3/4% on savings account and then charging me to put money into their bank. Charge a $8 Teller fee. Let's see, if I go to the teller to deposit it's more than depositing in the night deposit. Either way, I'm being charged to put money into their bank. No sir. There are other banks to use and they're the ones now holding my account.

Regards,
Thomas
Old December 13th, 2005, 07:11 AM
Admiral

I am the treasurer for our church. We get a service charge if we deposit more than a certain amount of money in a month. Makes no sense. The more money we give them, the more it costs us? Not good for a non-profit to begin with.

Kuki - sorry that this happened. It does seem peculiar. He seemed to take a desperate action. Hope you find out the cause of this mystery.
Old December 13th, 2005, 05:36 PM
Admiral

Kuki, I'm sorry for your loss. I'm also amazed at the talk about mental illness, and getting to the bottom of the mystery, and trying to find some excuse for this guy's actions. Some people are a) stupid, b) crooks. It's that simple. Banker surly knows this. In 20 years as a federal prosecutor, if I prosecuted one bank teller for this exact sort of crime I prosecuted three dozen. My guess is that the guy needed cash, it was a crime of opportunity, and that he will have a rap sheet with at least some prior arrests for crimes of dishonesty, if not convictions. By the time they catch him he will have probably already blown the money, so Kuki is screwed. If the prosecutor can't keep "fuzzy thinkers" off the jury, he'll get off and probably victimize someone else in fairly short order. Guess what. Not all people are good. That's why we have cops and prosecutors.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old December 13th, 2005, 06:11 PM
Admiral

Kuki, have you heard anything? For whatever reason I am curious to find out what exactly happened. What would motivate a generally good reliable employee to resort to such drastic measure with such dire consequences? When you would have been there to help him had he just asked... What was going on with him? Honestly when I first read this post I was hoping someone didn't steal the payroll and abduct him along with it. Its a sad world we live in sometimes. Please keep us in the loop.
Old December 14th, 2005, 09:44 AM
Admiral

Just to update as best I can. Nothing new

The police have no reason to suspect any crime took place, other than as Rich said..a crime of opportunity. There wasn't enough time, with no one around for him to be abducted, and because he disappeared within minutes of being given everyones pay envelopes.

It's not like the police would set up a nation wide manhunt for someone who stole $2000 , but no sign of him yet.

BTW...He actually had no criminal record other than a minor incident 20 years ago.
Old December 14th, 2005, 10:09 AM
Admiral

Gambling debt, drugs, some other "immediate" personal "need" for money
comes to mind. Let's hope it is that and not that this person is found stuffed in a garbage can somewhere. There may just be things at play where the rather trivial sum to many of $2000 becomes overwhelming to someone. I hope the person is found, your funds returned and some explanation is offered to restore the faith you had in this person in the past.
Old December 14th, 2005, 10:27 AM
Admiral

It has to be Habit....THE HABIT Kuki...You are scaring all the help and it has had an adverse affect on him. >JK<

I am sorry for the loss you have incurred but even more so, I am sorry for this guy who just seemed to make a very bad decision.
If I go to jail, it is going to be for trying to break in Fort Knox, not a mear amount of money.
Old December 14th, 2005, 01:40 PM
Admiral

still puzzling eh Kuki?

I wonder where Canadian criminals go when they're excaping the law - do they go to the US ? (Americans seem to think they can come up here and never be found)?!?

banker
Old December 14th, 2005, 02:19 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Banker, Is that how you ended up there?
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old December 14th, 2005, 05:08 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBill
Gambling debt, drugs, some other "immediate" personal "need" for money
comes to mind. Let's hope it is that and not that this person is found stuffed in a garbage can somewhere. There may just be things at play where the rather trivial sum to many of $2000 becomes overwhelming to someone. I hope the person is found, your funds returned and some explanation is offered to restore the faith you had in this person in the past.
Papa, you are every criminal defense lawyer's dream juror, but I'll kick you off every time. BTW, the creep will have "some explanation" that I'm sure would be good enough for you, these guys always do. You have a good heart, but when dealing with criminals, good hearts are not always what the situaltion demands.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old December 14th, 2005, 05:38 PM
Admiral

Maybe he was learning from his boss and taking the money to give his wife a cruise for the holidays. With the holidays approaching so fast he may not have been able to save enough in time.

Regards,
Thomas
Old December 14th, 2005, 07:18 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Maybe he was learning from his boss
Thomas.. reminds me of the time my partner and I went away together. On the airplane the said.. oh he** I think I left I left the safe open.
I said.. It's OK, we're both here!!
(not a true story actually )
Old December 14th, 2005, 07:56 PM
Captain

It looks like an answer may never come.

Karen