Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 31st, 2005, 01:30 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default What's going to be illegal next?

Read in the newspaper this morning, that in Dallas they've banned people with bad odor, or wearing too much perfume from the public libraries.

Is this going to lead to yet another ground swell of dictating what others can do?

You just have to love governments who want to dictate people's lives. What's next, flogging people for chewing gum? (Oh think that one's been taken already)
Old December 31st, 2005, 01:52 PM
Admiral

I imagine that the banning is to prevent dirty, smelly homeless people from hanging out in libraries. Now, if the went into the library to read a book, it might be different.

I guess I had better take a shower before the next time I go to the library.
:evil:
Old December 31st, 2005, 02:40 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to Toas Warnstadt

The state of Washington just passed a law making it illegal to smoke in bars, restaurants or any workplace. You cannot be within 25 feet of an entrance to any of these establishments or a public building. Now they are going to issue citations for littering, when someone puts their cigarette out on the sidewalk or in the street, even though no ashtrays are made available. I don't smoke so it does not matter to me, but now if you don't use deodorant, sheesh
Old December 31st, 2005, 03:02 PM
Admiral

next it will outlaw having sex in the privacy of your bedroom with your legal spouse !!
Old December 31st, 2005, 04:42 PM
Admiral

How are they going to establish the benchmark? What do they have, an odor meter and if you register above one legged chicken in a dog pen you are cited?

This is government overstepping their bounds. Hold on................. I just had to sniff my arm pits..............so what is the punishment? Put you behind bars with a bunch of other people who have failed to shower in a month?

Regards,
Thomas
Old December 31st, 2005, 06:52 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I am smoker and it does bother me to see people flicking butts on the street or sidewalk. You can stub off the cherry and put the butt in your pack and dispose of it when you get a chance.

But then the stale smell will make it so you are put in jail for breaking the odor law. Gotcha

Yes, let's legislate our opinions. What a wonderful idea. "not".

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old December 31st, 2005, 09:41 PM
Admiral

I think they also made it illegal to have sex in the library, bath in the bathroom, and a couple of other things. As pointed out, it was to keep the urban commando's from using the library for a homestead. I guess they tossed in the perfume so they could claim they were not just picking on them. We also have a problem with those folks when it gets cold or too hot. While I try not to be mean towards them it is pretty irritating when they are sleeping in the chairs with a novel open on their chest. (like they have any idea what it is about) or walking into the restroom and one is washing his clothes of taking a bath in the sink. Kids use these facilities for crying out loud. There really should be a time limit or barring that an ordanance like was passed there.
Jim
Old December 31st, 2005, 10:10 PM
Yeoman

My mother is the Secretary at the Elks Lodge there in Washington, and it did not effect, the smoking laws, to the Private bars/clubs.

I also haven't heard the law in Dallas...I would love it if they did that at the department stores...will have to go ask my manager at my library
Old January 1st, 2006, 12:14 PM
Admiral

Texas.........which lodge???? It affected the AmVets & Eagles lodges on my side of the mountains........

Sharon
Old January 1st, 2006, 12:34 PM
Admiral

No smoking in any public building in Florida Texas. I do wish they would set an area aside for it though or at least keep smokers from gathering right in front of the entrances. Have to walk through a cloud of smoke there.
Jim
Old January 1st, 2006, 12:41 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
it was to keep the urban commando's from using the library for a homestead
So, on one hand they come up with a law to handle a specific situation, then "the general population" decides that it's such a "good idea" that it should apply to every public situations, and the activists get busy lobbying... and suddenly there's a movement afoot.

Just recently there's a group here who has begun to advocate higher taxes for fast food restaurants, and restaurants serving food high in fat content... because of the added costs obesity adds to the health care system.

I'm just amazed at how much people are wanting governments to dictate the "allowable" activities in our day to day lives, and how willing so many people are to let it happen.
Old January 1st, 2006, 12:51 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to Toas Warnstadt

These “activists� are also the same people that complain that there is to much government intrusion in their lives.
Being a law enforcement officer, I have always held our rights very high, as priorities go. I believe that once we give up the least bit of our rights, others will try and take as much away as possible.
Old January 1st, 2006, 01:25 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice
next it will outlaw having sex in the privacy of your bedroom with your legal spouse !!
So that is where my DW came up with that law? Hmmmmmm
Old January 1st, 2006, 06:19 PM
Yeoman

LS80...here is how it is going now.

The Lodge, Elks B.P.O.E. is considered a Private club. So the only ones allowed in are "members" which is basically, not "public". So they are allowed to smoke. If the Employees are not members, the are public, BUT if they smoke, the sign a waver and it is allowed. IF a member brings a guest, then he becomes "public" but then he can sign a waver as well.

Most of the Members at the lodge are all smokers. Since all the local bars no longer allow smoking 25 feet from entrances, then the lodge is actually starting to get MORE members, because they can smoke.
Old January 1st, 2006, 10:16 PM
Admiral

I have to agree that we are 'legislating ourselves to death here. Local people should basically decide what the mores of their community are and make the rules that they wih. The 'higher' forms of government should exist only for the overall protection of the land such as the standing military. Seems that the US Constitution was fairly close to that but over the years folks have mucked it up a bit.
I thought about this post for quite some time before hitting the post button and figure it is not really political as it just promotes free will and that is pretty much the topic we are discussing, being regulated to death. I do not and will not get into politics and the goals of the seperate parties as that is not allowed, nor should it be.
Jim
Old January 2nd, 2006, 10:11 AM
Yeoman

[quote="Kuki"]
Quote:
Just recently there's a group here who has begun to advocate higher taxes for fast food restaurants, and restaurants serving food high in fat content... because of the added costs obesity adds to the health care system.
The obese people aren't being forced to eat! Why should I pay higher taxes because they have a weight problem? Actually, they have an eating problem in most cases. I watch what I eat and make sure my kids know how to eat right.

That brings me to the welfare systems. Food stamps! Why is it that the people in front of me in the grocery store line (paying with food stamps) has more chips and junk food and steaks and lobster than I have in 4 months? They should regulate what people can buy on food stamps.

BTW - you can't buy soap on food stamps! So much for the poor stinky people.