CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Listen to the Music (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/307871-listen-music.html)

CruisinK n J January 28th, 2006 06:40 PM

Listen to the Music

I worked hard on the house while Keith was out. In the afternoon, I reacquainted myself with my CD and record collection. I remembered how much it helped me when I was so depressed. While I worked, I listened to Taj Mahal, and when I relaxed, I listened to Tania Maria.

DH and I first saw Taj Mahal perform at the Greek Theater when Garrison Keillor (of Lake Wobegon fame) brought his show to Los Angeles one summer.

Tania Maria (from Brazil) composes, sings and accompanies herself on the piano. Unfortunately, she hit our shores way after the Bossa Nova rage and didn't "take." I still think that Brazilian music is indisputably the sexiest music of all :!: :) :)

I've read that if you can bend your knees, you can samba. But I don't know . . . . :roll:

Judy

Lynne&Trevor January 28th, 2006 07:09 PM

I really enjoy listening to music! My mother used to do her housework to the arias of the opera "La Boheme". She especially liked "Musetta's Waltz". I found a recording of it a few years ago and made a CD with it on it for her. During my recent visit I played the piece and she could still remember and sing it, even though she's incapacitated with Parkinson's Disease. I believe that music is the universal language.

I come alive when I hear some of that Latin rhythm music, too. I guess that is why I like the Western Caribbean cruises, so I can go to Mexico!!
"OLE"!!!!!
Lynne

venice January 28th, 2006 07:36 PM

I clean my house to music and do major cleaning the first saturday of the month and time my monthly amazon.com cd orders to be able to listen to new music the 1st saturday

I love Ivan Lins and am looking forward to going to the Berks Jazz Fest in March to hear a tribute to him (Jason MIles, Jane Monheit, Brenda Russell etc)

TexasFyre January 28th, 2006 10:17 PM

I must be the odd ball. I have 6 CD's in my changer. Mostly Metallica. I find rocking helps it go faster. That and it drowns out the blasted dog behind me that barks 24/7. Oh, and the phone..well, and my husband. :D

rollerdonna January 28th, 2006 10:44 PM

Whenever I'm having a really down day, which seems to happen alot lately, I just put on a Bee Gees CD and feel better fast! Also, the only thing that makes housewrok bearable is a good Caribbean CD to remind me of cruising!

donna

belgique January 29th, 2006 12:08 AM

Judy: WOW! Taj Mahal and Tania Maria are favorites of mine too! I also agree that the Brazilian music is the most sensuous of all - everything by Jobim, Gilberto, the haunting voices of Brasil '66, and my new favorite - Dori Caaymi....he's wonderful!

Thanks for the reminder of how important music is to all of us!

Cruznut2 January 29th, 2006 06:30 AM

During housework I love to listen to Jimmy Buffett. Love the tropical sounds of his music. For the times I cannot fall asleep I put on Yanni, so relaxing.

Laura

Angela Z. January 29th, 2006 03:39 PM

Music is a big part of life here at our house as well. I love that our kids are willing to listen to a wide range of music.
I found that music helped me "connect" with my dad in the last stages of his Alzheimers. I put all his old favorites on my iPod and took it and some speakers up to his room and would sit for hours with him listening and sometimes seeing a spark of remembrance.
Angela Z.

LisaK January 30th, 2006 11:28 AM

my current favorite CD to clean by would have to be Michael McDonald's Mowtown CD.
If i want to be taken away vocally then its Josh Groban
My newest favorite would have to be Chris Botti- jazz trumpet. He is awesome.

venice January 30th, 2006 12:09 PM

Lisa ..do you have Chris's newest CD/DVD "To Love Again"..it is awesome

I saw Michael McDonald on the Tom Joyner Fantastic Voyage Cruise..he is one awesome soul singer and the ship loved him !!!

LisaK January 30th, 2006 01:55 PM

venice, is it brand new?? ooooh hadn't heard that he put out another one, isn't he just amazing!! drool, drool.

venice January 30th, 2006 03:42 PM

it's been out a couple of months..it is just awesome, it would be a nice valentine present for someone special in your life (hint hint)