Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 5th, 2006, 08:27 PM
Admiral

Default Baby sitting /Your worst fears

Daughter and Son in Law went to see Billy Joel last night at Madison Square Garden. 16 year old baby sitter is the daughter of a good friend a few doors down, the real estate agent that sold them their home and her Dad is a Sargent on the local police force.
When they left she not only had a friend over but the friend brought her boyfriend. They had Dominos Pizza and trashed the boxes under the neighbors car, smoked at least one cigar in the house (they found the wrapper in the garbage), ate a box of Girl Scout cookies belonging to someone that ordered them from Caroline and drank all the sodas in the house. This morning Caroline realized her GameBoy and the cartridge in it were gone from the charger in the living room.
The sitter will probably not see the light of day until she is 21 and the father is on the case of the friend, boyfriend and the missing Gameboy.
We are the usually principal baby sitters but we were booked for Donald and Sabrina in the morning and Madelyn last night.
This is the daughter of a trusted friend, an immediate neighbor whose father is a policeman. Imagine how bad it could have gotten. There could have been more theft, damage, what if the boy had entered Caroline's room (or Philip's)? I shudder to think.
This kid pet sits for them when they are gone and has the keys to the house and alarm codes. Wonder what goes on when they are on vacation?
I guess she won't be doing that any more.
Sponsored Links
Old March 5th, 2006, 08:44 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Angela Z.

Oh PapaBill, that stinks! I hope she gets grounded for a long time and that the Gameboy, etc. comes back to Caroline.
I'm sure your daughter didn't think twice about leaving the kids with this person though because it sounds like she'd had an ok experience with her before with the pet sitting (not that that's any real comparison) and dad being on the police force.
Important thing is that your grandkids are ok but scary that this happened.
Let us know how this turns out. You've sure had your hands full lately.
Angela Z.
Old March 5th, 2006, 10:41 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

It's amazing that some people can betray a trust so easily. Would imagine the father will be dealing with her STRONGLY.

There was a piece on the news here last week, where a family left an 18 yr old daughter at home for a "getaway weekend". When they returned they found the house totally trashed....$70,000 damage done by a party she threw.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old March 6th, 2006, 07:06 AM
Admiral

I can only imagine how dismayed they must have felt as they began to uncover these disappointing things. Scary to say the least. Sorry this all had to happen.
Old March 6th, 2006, 08:54 AM
Admiral

Papabill--so sorry to hear about the babysitting terror. Thankfully nothing happened to the kids. When my kids were younger I also had the privilege of having my parents babysit. Boy was it a tough decision to have some else watch them when my folks were busy.

What is happening to kids nowadays? Don't they understand the consequences of their actions? I hope her father deals with her as harshly as he is allowed to.
Old March 6th, 2006, 10:04 PM
Admiral

Parties given by people's "good children" can quickly get out of hand.. you would not believe how many calls I've received on 911 lines from the minor who lives at the house who ask the cops to come clear out his house because the party he gave while his parents were gone has gotten out of control... even to the point of gang members showing up and not being happy when asked to leave....

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old March 7th, 2006, 09:58 PM
Admiral

Scary story PapaBill. I was very reluctant to leave my son home this past 4 days, it's the first time he's been left home alone, but he is also almost 18, and very trustworthy, not at all a party-kid. I came home tonight to a clean house, dishes done, dog and cat fed, and no problems, except that he was lonely! I am thankful for that!

donna