Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 9th, 2006, 01:44 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Remember Drive-Ins?

On the "Sunday Morning"show today, they had a faulous segment on the "drive-in" making a comback! They showed this family in Texas, who built a brand new one, and prayed people would come...And did they ever! so many in fact, they had to turn away some! In fact most of the drive-ins are in Texas..They have 21...

The drive-ins have a new twist, in this day and age, and I was amazed .This one family, who came in a pick up, actually brought a couch along, to sit on.. others brought folding canvas chairs. Backs of trucks and suv's became mini restaurants! It was a great party and family atmosphere!!

Did you have a drive-in in your area? When you were kids were you addicted

Bruce and I started dating in our mid teens, so a drive-in date happened a lot....he also had a Rambler, and you know those front seats recline
don't you?? Remember those mosquito repellents they used to sell, oh those really worked now! And the 5 star cuisine, with entrees such as steamed hot dogs, in aluminum bags, shrimp rolls, and french fries, hit the spot....ah the memories We used to travel quite a bit to get to some of these too...Remember the Mondo Carne movies? And the straight to drive in horror movies? The intermission cartoons I loved! Dancing food!

The one by us now,still has the screen up, but around it has been converted to an airport shuttle...I think maybe they think it will return to being a drive- in maybe sooner then we think

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old April 9th, 2006, 01:58 PM
Admiral

There were ten in the Houston area as I was growing up. 3 were multi-screens. Yes, I remember the dancing cartoon food and the Dr. Pepper commercials. The mosquito coils. Oh yeah!

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old April 9th, 2006, 02:10 PM
Captain

We have one by us. It is over in a town called LaGrange in New York. I took my son to see March of the Penguins and that was before I bought my new car. Now they have you turn your radio on and I was afraid of my car not starting so Ryan and I sat outside. Many people sit with the hatchbacks open so we could hear. It was so much fun.
I went all the time with my parents in the 60's/70's.

Karen
Old April 9th, 2006, 02:56 PM
Admiral

We had one in the next town over. Went all the time. It was torn down when I was 20 I think. It had a little playground, snackbar with all those tasty treats and right beside it was a miniature golf course, so if you could convince your parents to leave real early and saved up enough money - well then it was double the fun. The last few years it was upgraded to listen thru the radio. It was great fun.
Old April 9th, 2006, 05:48 PM
Admiral

Now there's a blast from the past. We never had such a thing in Montreal when I was growing up, but once a year or so, my dad would take us to Burlington (VT) for the weekend, to stay in a motel (with a pool!) and my mom would do some shopping. One of my fondest memeories of these trips is going with my family to the Drive-In right across the street from the motel, and seeing Planet of the Apes. I was probably about 12 at the time. My sister, who was 7, got scared of the apes and had to be brought back to the motel with my mom, while Dad and I stayed and watched the rest of the movie - I loved it!

Strange coincidence, I found out years later, that my present husband's brother (the one in San Antonio) was in the film making business many years ago, and he was very involved in the production of Planet of the Apes!
Old April 9th, 2006, 05:59 PM
Passenger

Hey Trip!
I grew up near you. I lived in Boston growing up. Yes I remember the Twin Drive-in in Braintree and the Dedham drive-in the Blue Hill Drive-in, the Neponset Drive-in and the West Roxbury Drive-in. I went to them all. Your right that was what we would do for date night or to go and just hang out. You never got in trouble if you minded your own business. Loved them.
Just wanted to let you know there is still a Drive-in open not far from both of us. I live in Norfolk, Mass now. It's called the Mendon Drive-in and it plays first run movies. They have 2 screens. I haven't gone in a few years but it was still a great night out! I think it's about 45 minutes from Stougton. You should check it out some time.

SUN PRINCESS JUNE 24th! ALASKA HERE WE COME!
Old April 9th, 2006, 06:08 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I used to work security at a drive in theater.

One time I saw a car with the windows totally fogged up, and went over banged my flashlight on the window and asked... what's going on in there?

A male voice answered.... NOTHING!

I said.. OK.. then get out and hold my flashlight!
Old April 9th, 2006, 06:21 PM
Yeoman

Default Remember Drive-ins

Do I ever; what comes to mind is my mother would send my little brother with us and we would keep sending him to the concession stand one quarter at a time. Most memorable movie: From Here to Eternity with Burt Lancaster and Deborah Kerr. We had a rambler too, but after I was married and had two kids. In Plaistow, N.H. the screen is still there after all these years. Someone said they are loaded with asbestos and its unlawful to tear them down.

Betty
cruise #19 booked: Crown Princess, 9/30/06

cruise #20 booked: Carnival Liberty, 1/14/07
Old April 9th, 2006, 06:38 PM
Admiral

Default Remember Drive-Ins?

Maybe somebody in Georgia can remember the name of the drive-in that used to be near Georgia Tech in Atlanta. I used to go there regularly with people from work. The emplyees at the drive-in couldn't understand my midwest accent!

Judy
Old April 9th, 2006, 06:48 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Trip I grew up in Melrose Mass. I remember the Saugus Drive in, The oldest one in Mass. Used to go there a lot and to Revere Drive in and Medford Twin Drive In. I think there was another one in Medford too but I am not sure of the name. It was off the Fellsway if I am not mistaken. I live in Laconia NH now and there is still a drive in at Weirs Beach. Such sweet memories!!!

Laura
Old April 9th, 2006, 07:28 PM
Admiral

I grew up in Central Indiana, and of course we had drive-ins there. We used to "sneak in" by getting as many in the trunk of the car as possible, (remember, we had BIG cars back then), and then we'd try to be quiet while going through the ticket takers window. Sometimes they'd catch us getting out of the trunk, and if they did, they'd just make you leave. No big deal! I guess they figured if we were slick enough to make it through, then we deserved to stay. Great memories. Thanks,
Ken
Old April 9th, 2006, 08:17 PM
Beginner

hi , i to grew up in the quincy area of mass,, the drive-in were a great part of growing up.. the twin drive-in in braintree and the blue hills and as we got older what about the skyview in Brockton (need i say more about that place!!) we do need some back around here so our kids will see what we had , ask them what is a drive-in and they have no idea..
Old April 9th, 2006, 08:23 PM
Admiral

I'm glad to see this topic brings back fond memories for many of us..

rqo..we went to all those you mentioned, except West Roxbury, and my husband has taken the grandkids to Mendon...history does repeat itself

Cruisenut, we traveled to all those except Revere, guess gas was maybe 25 cents a gallon then.... Wish the time machine could make that reappear

Old April 9th, 2006, 09:36 PM
Admiral

My wife and I were highschool sweethearts. We grew up in a small town that had a drive-in right on main st. Back at that time, money was in short supply, to say the least. When we could afford it, we would get 2 hamburgers ( .25 cents each ) and get one milkshake and two straws.
That would amount to .75 cents. When the wallet was on empty, we would get one shake and 2 straws.

Last week was spring break where we live. On thursday, my wife and I , our son and 2 grandsons ( 13 and 8 ) went down to the old hometown. We went through the old elementary school that I attended. I still remembered each room, each teacher, etc. from grade 1 through 8. We then went through the old high school, where my wife and I met. The boys enjoyed the tours and the tales I had to tell.

After the tours, we went to the old drive-in, which is owned by a lady I grew up and went to school with. We ate inside, but they still have car-hop service. We had cheeseburgers, fries, cokes and the boys had dessert each. Surprise-surprise-surprise-- I didn't have enough cash to pay the $ 30.00 bill and had to bum $5. from my son. Boy did I get teased over that. I had been telling the grandkids how when my wife and
were young we couldn't afford to get 2 burgers and 2 shakes, etc. there.
So, according to my son and grandsons, I still can't afford to eat at the local drive-in. It was a fun day to say the least. Guess when I go back to the drive-in, I'll go alone or just my wife and me and order a shake with 2 straws. I can handle that. ( I think )
Old April 9th, 2006, 09:51 PM
Admiral

Sorry I got slightly off topic regarding the drive -in but guess I was still being sentimental from last week.

Please don't beat me--- I.m getting old.
Old April 9th, 2006, 10:07 PM
Admiral

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!Kuki man you caught me off guard with that one
Old April 9th, 2006, 11:00 PM
Admiral

Ron, I walked down your memory lane with a smile...

Old April 10th, 2006, 06:59 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Remember Drive-Ins?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinK n J
Maybe somebody in Georgia can remember the name of the drive-in that used to be near Georgia Tech in Atlanta. I used to go there regularly with people from work. The emplyees at the drive-in couldn't understand my midwest accent!

Judy
If you are talking about the food type drive in it is called the Varsity and is alive, well and thriving. I ate there during my recent trip to Atlanta.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old April 10th, 2006, 11:40 AM
Admiral

i remember as a kid, there was a drive-in in Wilbraham, MA. We would put on our jammies, pile into the back of the station wagon, and go see Disney movies.