Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 10th, 2006, 01:25 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2
Default Another trip down memory lane

Trip mentioned drive ins and brought back so many great memories. I will ask this. does anyone remember the drive in restaurants with car hops? I remember Adventure Car Hop in Saugus Mass. A Boston radio announcer was always advertising it. They gave away 45 rpm records with a certain special they served. The announcer was Arnie Woo Woo Ginsberg from WMEX in Boston. Those of you with Boston roots should remember him. Those were the days!!

Laura
Sponsored Links
Old April 10th, 2006, 05:50 AM
Beginner

You bet.....Bob"s Big Boy in Whittier Calif.....it's where you just went to cruise & car hop service....oh yeah.....remember this red '57 Chevy crusing...what a car. Couple years later, I married the.......car? woops, I married the guy ...30+++++++ years later, I still got the guy but the car he sold to his brother after he got one to many tickets :o
Old April 10th, 2006, 06:40 AM
Admiral

Here in H-town, we had Princess Drive-ins and Ritzee Drive-ins. Now we have Sonics.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old April 10th, 2006, 06:46 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sea Trekker

wow memory lane !
I remember the car hops on roller skates. Donna (RD) this should brighten your day. There was a root beer A & W, I think where you could get their floats for a low price on certain days. We now have a drive-in on the same spot called Sonic Drive In. I have not had the time to try out there food. Does any one know if the burgers are as good as the old days?
Old April 10th, 2006, 06:46 AM
Admiral

In NJ many of our Stewart's Rootbeer places provide car hop service.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old April 10th, 2006, 06:47 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Angela Z.

Growing up in New Jersey we had Stewarts with the best root beer around!
Angela Z.
Old April 10th, 2006, 06:48 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Angela Z.

Doug,
Great minds think alike!
Angela Z.
Old April 10th, 2006, 07:37 AM
Admiral

We had an A&W RootBeer. Believe it or not that was the hot spot after the Drive-in Movie let out. As if we hadn't all had enough sugar. But hey after all that salty popcorn, what is better to wash it down than an ice cold A&W? It has been gone for a long time. It was turned into a car dealership. The spot where the drive-in was is now a couple of stores and the mini-golf is now storage sheds. All very sad.
We do have a new mini-golf, right behind McDonalds. Real convienent for parents.
Old April 10th, 2006, 08:31 AM
Admiral

When I was a kid, we had an A&W that had car-hop service, but I don't remember rollerskates. Up until a few years ago, in the summertime, there was still rollerskate car-hop service at Montreal landmark restaurant called the Orange Julep. Flying into Montreal, it's an instantly recognizable landmark, a giant bright orange ball, located next to a busy highway. Never like orange juleps, but the food was good!

donna
Old April 10th, 2006, 08:46 AM
Admiral

In Indianapolis we had the "Kings Kup", and another one on Rt 40 that served the best breaded tenderloin sandwiches that you can imagine. The one on 40 even had a small screen, similar to a drive in that played short movies etc. Ah yes,,,those were the days.
Ken
Old April 10th, 2006, 08:51 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I am singing right now...."Adventure car hop is the place to go, for food thats always right!" And Arnie Woo Woo was my all time fave disc jockey...This walk down memory lane is a good thing!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old April 10th, 2006, 11:31 AM
Admiral

Hi Trip, I was singing right along with you. Adventure was located so conveniently close to Saugus Drive in too. You are familiar with the area there do you remember the Howdy Beef Burger that was next to Valle's Steak house? .15 cent burgers and .10 cent fries and .10 for a coke? I grew up to go to work at Valle's as a hostess then a waitress. Other landmark places I loved in the area were Kowloon and Hilltop Steak House with the cattle out front. I do believe both are still there too. Such sweet memories. I really need to go visit Melrose and the surrounding area. Maybe I will go to my 40th class reunion in October.

Laura
Old April 10th, 2006, 04:03 PM
Admiral

Like VTjen, we had A + W rootbeer driveinn. I am still looking for a place that makes a Hamburger as good as they did back then. It is kinda funny. The old building is now a resturant that is run by a guy that use to be one of the biggest cruisers there was in town. Now all the people that use to burn rubber and cruise the joint, now go inside on thick rubber shoes and talk about how their joints hurt.
Old April 10th, 2006, 05:23 PM
Yeoman

Default Another trip down memory lane

Grew up in Maine and went to high school in No. Carolina. I remember all the places in Saugus and Arnie "woo woo" Ginsberg. (relocated to Ma. in 1962). Valle's steakhouse originated in Portland, Maine. As teenagers we had Riley's Barbecue in N.C. We would ride around and around, after all gas was .19 a gallon and a vending machine bottle of coke was a nickel.

Betty
cruise #19 booked: Crown Princess, 9/30/06

cruise #20 booked: Carnival Liberty, 1/14/07
Old April 10th, 2006, 06:44 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Laura, the cows still graze at the Hilltop, and the Kowloon is still around and now is a gigantic restaurant......ah sweet memories.......

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old April 11th, 2006, 11:45 AM
Admiral

Thanks for the info Trip. I just decided to attend the reunion. Ihavenever attended one. I guess it is time. These threads have been such fun.

Laura