Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 9th, 2006, 11:32 PM
First Mate

I lived about 20 minutes from the Saratoga Performing Arts Center (SPAC) and have many great memories of concerts there.

One of the best was Elton John in 1971 during his first tour promoting Madman Across the Waters. Also Pink Floyd doing Dark Side of the Moon, the Allman brothers, Emerson Lake & Palmer and many, many others.

One rainy night heard Arlo Guthrie with a very small crowd, he came and sat on the front edge of the stage and urged everyone to move down close so he could talk without the mike. I was in front row and it was great. He sang Alice's Restaurant but the theme instead was "President Nixon saves the world with multi colored rainbow roaches" Unforgettable

A couple of years ago saw Crosby,Stills, Nash & Young at the Oakland arena and they were absolutely fantatsic. I had seen/heard every combination of 1, 2 and 3 of them but never all 4 together. They sounded jsut like they did in the early albums and were clearly having a great time themselves. Might be the best concert I've been to.

Also am a Parrothead and have seen Jimmy many times. Even heard him do God's own Drunk a couple of times long ago.

Doug
Old August 10th, 2006, 01:59 AM
Admiral

Doug...my mom's employer held season tickets to Saratoga Performing Arts Center for the classical music so they gave me all the tickets for all of the "pop" concerts the summers of 67 thru 69 so we must have seen alot of the same concerts
Old August 11th, 2006, 10:22 PM
First Mate

Venice I was in Ballston Lake from 1970-1978. Just missed each other.

Doug
Old August 11th, 2006, 10:40 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by UConn1
Most of my concerts were attended in the 80's: Madonna, Foreigner, Slaughter, Cinderella, Poison, Bon Jovi, Eddie Money, John Cougar Mellancamp, etc.

However my favorite concert is one I have attended every year since 2003 and that is the Trans-Siberian Orchestra. They are amazing! The music is moving and the show is amazing.

I know that is odd, but I don't miss it for anything.

Jodi
Not odd at all. Mrs. Parrot and I see TSO every year at Christmas time. They put on a stage show that blows away any band I've ever seen of any genre, ever, period.
Old August 11th, 2006, 10:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona01
We were permanent fixtures whenever Harry Chapin played Chicago..

Absolutely awesome memories of seeing Phil Collins and Elton John at outdoor concerts at the best outdoor venue we've ever attended, Poplar Creek (now closed).

And, of course, Jimmy Buffett!!!!
Of course I have 100+ JB concerts under my belt spanning 19 years and a dozen or more cities.

And I will never forgive Harry Chapin for getting himself killed on the L.I.E. before I had the chance to see him.
Old August 12th, 2006, 07:21 PM
First Mate

Parrot Rob I was back visiting friends on Long Island and we were planning on attending a free concert that Harry Chapin was giving scheduled for night of the day he was killed. Tragic

Doug
Old August 12th, 2006, 08:04 PM
Admiral

I went to a KISS concert in 1979-Cincinnati with my then husband and 2 boys. I later went to another Kiss concert in Dayton with my elder boy. That group has been part of the family since my brother (16 years younger than I) was introduced to them I like their early music. Since then I've heard Paul Stanley doing one of the numbers from Phantom of the Opera in Toronto. He did a credible job but still sounded like, er, Paul Stanley!
I've seen early (70's) Neil Sedaka, Paul Williams--and promise you won't throw tomatoes at me----Barry Manilow a couple of times in the 90's. He has so much energy! I do enjoy his music.

My boys have nurtured me with rock music so I like and understand a lot of it----Twisted Sister, Alice Cooper, Aerosmith, Metallica, etc......and then hubby introduced me to Led Zepelin, Janis Joplin (lots of albums), Electric Light Orchestra, Brain Salad Surgery.

Unfortunately, I don't know many of today's groups, moreso since the beginning of 2000........ My radio is tuned to either the oldies but goodies station, or classic rock. I have a recording of Janis Joplin and Jimmy Hendrix singing "Summertime" from the Woodstock concert, I believe. Awesome!!

In another post I mentioned a Harry Chapin song I don't like--but I did like Harry Chapin's music in general.

Lynne

Ruby Princess
Old August 12th, 2006, 08:35 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Angela Z.

Venice and OTown,
I'm also a Catholic school survivor. I can still hear those rosary beads swishing along the habit as they walked....ugh....
Angela Z.
Old August 12th, 2006, 09:32 PM
Admiral

Angela..and those black clogger shoes with the thick rubber heals and the pointer that they carried, even when they kick in the boys bathroom stalls

It always use to amaze me when the monseigneur made a surprise visit to the classroom , how nice they were to us and fussed all over him and then when he left they went back to being mean to us (VBG)

to this day if I am on a cruise ship and I see a catholic priest onboard I head towards the bar so I won't run into him (VBG)..Since nuns no longer have to wear the habit, you can't pick them out on the ship but I'll know because my knuckles will start to hurt (VBG)
Old August 14th, 2006, 09:08 AM
First Mate

Default ParrotRob

It looks like we have similar music tastes! We were so fortunate to see Chapin so many times and it was always great. One memorable concert was when Arlo Guthrie opened for him. It was around the time there was talk of reinstating the draft (summer 1980) . Arlo said he hadn't performed "Alice's Restaurant" live in years but he thought it was time, so he did the entire song. It was so cool. Chapin came out, totally blown away and said he almost didn't know if he should try to perform anything after that. We next saw him in Dec '80, right after John Lennon was killed, and he talked about it and how we never know what is ahead for us. That was the last time we saw him because he was killed 7 months later. A tragic loss, especially since he was an activist before it became fashionable. Most of his concerts turned into benefits for local food pantries and he personally only made a fraction of the money he brought in. Now I'm hearing that JB isn't going to tour anymore and will split his time between Las Vegas and Branson--it's hard to wrap my brain around that!
Old August 14th, 2006, 11:03 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: ParrotRob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona01
It looks like we have similar music tastes! We were so fortunate to see Chapin so many times and it was always great. One memorable concert was when Arlo Guthrie opened for him. It was around the time there was talk of reinstating the draft (summer 1980) . Arlo said he hadn't performed "Alice's Restaurant" live in years but he thought it was time, so he did the entire song. It was so cool. Chapin came out, totally blown away and said he almost didn't know if he should try to perform anything after that. We next saw him in Dec '80, right after John Lennon was killed, and he talked about it and how we never know what is ahead for us. That was the last time we saw him because he was killed 7 months later. A tragic loss, especially since he was an activist before it became fashionable. Most of his concerts turned into benefits for local food pantries and he personally only made a fraction of the money he brought in. Now I'm hearing that JB isn't going to tour anymore and will split his time between Las Vegas and Branson--it's hard to wrap my brain around that!
Jimmy Buffett - Vegas lounge lizard. You're right, I can't see that either!
Old August 15th, 2006, 01:21 PM
Passenger

Default Concert

Tina Turner (in the 80's) and Garth Brooks (in the 90's)

Pam in KY...........having cruise withdrawal.......when I need to unwind I take myself back to March......aboard the Mariner of the Seas! Looking forward to cruise #8 in the spring and hearing my favorite cruise song.....Don't worry -about a thing.....cause every little thin' is gonna be alright!