Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 29th, 2006, 07:38 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2
Default Man Overboard!!

Locally, on the Mt Washington cruise ship. Last night during the last cruise of the season, Halloween party a man fell overboard. This is the same ship I was trying to book for the New England, Northeast gathering. In all the years I have lived here I do not remember this ever happening. Very scant details out yet.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Sponsored Links
Old October 30th, 2006, 10:07 AM
Admiral

What is up with people?

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old October 30th, 2006, 01:58 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

here is a little more on it....

Man missing after falling off MS Mt. Washington
GILFORD, N.H. (AP) -- The body of a man who fell off a Halloween cruise during the weekend was the target of a resumed search Monday.

Strong winds, driving rain and darkness hampered rescue efforts after the man, whose identify had not been released, fell off the popular MS Mt. Washington during a Halloween party about 10 p.m. Saturday night, state Fish and Game Lt. Jim Goss said.

Conditions weren't much better on Sunday, Goss said, and the search was suspended as winds hit more than 50 mph, whipping up waves and endangering search crews.

"It is blowing so hard, it almost looks at though it is snowing on the lake," Goss said Sunday. "It's blowing the water straight out.

"We have two 20-plus foot boats and we didn't feel it would be safe to be out there," he said.

Monday dawned clear but windy again as Marine Patrol boats and officers assembled for what dispatcher Michelle Montville said was a recovery operation, not a rescue effort. With water temperatures in the 50s, searchers said anyone in the water would be overcome by hypothermia in a matter of minutes.

Goss said only a few of the 290 people onboard saw the man fall. Goss said nothing untoward appeared to have happened before the accident.

"It just appears he fell over the rail," he said.

The captain stopped the ship, but it had traveled an undetermined distance before the crew was alerted. Goss said the ship covers a mile in about six minutes.

The crew threw out a life ring, turned on floodlights and got help from the Marine Patrol; Fish and Game; and fire and police from Gilford, Laconia and Alton.

They searched until about 2 a.m. Sunday and returned after daylight until late morning, when the weather forced a suspension.

Goss said the search area was about a mile long, between Welch Island and Rattlesnake Island in Gilford.

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old October 31st, 2006, 01:44 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to AmazingAngel

Excuse me for asking but...I just dont see how it is possible to fall off a cruise ship unless you climb up on something. Then again I have only been on carnival cruise ships..and the railings there are rather high. There seems to me, to be alot of incidents with people going over board, sorry not alot but a few in question, personally I do not make a habit over walking as close as possible to the railing for the one reason of possible freak accident of falling over.
I feel sorry for the victims family.
Old October 31st, 2006, 03:13 PM
Administrator
Admiral

The M.S. Mt. Washington is not a "Cruise Ship". It is a scenic tour boat that provides scenic cruises on Lake Winnipesaukee, New Hampshire. It has a maximum capacity of 310 people and is used for dining and dancing cruises and does not provide overnight accommodations. It should, in no way, be confused with any sea going cruise ship.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old October 31st, 2006, 05:19 PM
Admiral

Thank you Mike. The photo sure helps us to see the difference!

I remember once cleaning the leaves out of our swimming pool during a cool fall day... I slipped and fell into the deep end of the pool. The cold water hit me so hard that it knocked the breath out of me. If my husband hadn't been right there to help me, I might have drown.

When I think of people falling from a cruise ship or boat, etc. into cool water I always remember how I felt...the shock! It's amazing when someone survives.
Old October 31st, 2006, 06:43 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

That is not to say people have not fallen off of cruise ships, however. And it isn't the brightest thing anyone can do.

We all heard about the young man relieving himself over the rail that fell in, and swam to safety on some Caribbean island.

You have to be doing something really stupid (or dangerous) to fall off of a ship. it isn't as if you could accidentally just lose your balance and go tumbling off. I am afraid a small child probably could, though, which is why they must always be supervised.
Old October 31st, 2006, 06:53 PM
Admiral

Laura, was the man ever found?
Old October 31st, 2006, 06:58 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

This is a small boat by cruise ship standards. I have been on it many times and those rails are still high enough that you cannot just fall over. He must have been leaning way over to have fallen over at all. That or climbed up on the rail. I have not heard any witness say that as yet.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain