Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 24th, 2007, 10:03 AM
Admiral

Default To shake or not to shake hands

You're on a cruise, you go to your assigned dining room table and you meet your table mates for the first time.

With all this commotion about the flu, do you offer to shake hands?

If you offer to shake hands the first night and they accept, do you offer to shake hands the following nights? What do you do?

Is there an etiquette you're aware off?

Bill
Sponsored Links
Old February 24th, 2007, 11:53 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Bill.

I just tell them to keep their dirty germ infested paws to themselves!

Unless there's a current outbreak of Norwalk, I don't hesitate to shake someone's hand.

Once we've done that the first night, if they offered again the next night I'd just think they were perverts
Old February 24th, 2007, 12:27 PM
Admiral

Interesting question Bill. I wonder if the Montreal custom of the 2-cheeked air kiss is more sanitary?

On a cruise, we usually shake hands to meet, but not every night. Hugs and a 2-cheeked kiss are usually the way to say goodbye, especially big hugs reserved for CruiseMates!!

donna
Old February 24th, 2007, 01:47 PM
Admiral

Bill,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
You're on a cruise, you go to your assigned dining room table and you meet your table mates for the first time.

With all this commotion about the flu, do you offer to shake hands?

If you offer to shake hands the first night and they accept, do you offer to shake hands the following nights? What do you do?

Is there an etiquette you're aware off?
The normal practice is to shake hands during initial introductions on the first night but not on subsequent nights, unless doing so would be awkward due to distance (typically only a problem at large tables). In that case, a wave suffices.

On the last night, do whatever seems to feel comfortable for everybody. I generally shake hands with the other gentlemen and be receptive to whatever the ladies move to do when we say goodbyes (which may happen later in the evening if we go to the show or to some other activity together).

Norm.
Old February 24th, 2007, 02:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

It will be a good thing to always have with you a small purse size bottle of " Purell" everywhere you go to shake hands if it pleases you. Mateli
Old February 24th, 2007, 03:08 PM
Admiral

Mateli, I also have the hand wash. I will shake hands unless.... they sneeze into their hands before I shake it.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old February 25th, 2007, 09:58 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehawk
Mateli, I also have the hand wash. I will shake hands unless.... they sneeze into their hands before I shake it.
or what about the person that wipes the hands in the pit of the shirt and then reaches out to shake your hand -- WTF -- makes you wonder what was on their hand in the first place and 2 why wipe it your darn armpit. Yikes..
Valor Feb 2009: Dina & Marty - again
Grandeur Feb 2008: DTW, Dina & Marty
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Fascination: Feb 2007
Enchantment of Seas: Sept 2006
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old February 25th, 2007, 10:13 AM
Admiral

I think we can take germophobia too far. If it is allowed to dominate your life it is time to seclude yourself in a germ proof room in a germ proof suit.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old February 25th, 2007, 12:56 PM
Admiral

During the service, at the church where I go, there is an exchange of peace be with you. You can either offer your hand for a hand shake or just smile and move your head up and down. Both are acceptable..

I would never refuse to shake hands with anybody unless there was an outbreak of the Norwalk flu and I would expect the ship's Captain would make a public announcement to that effect.

I hardly think anybody who travels a bit would allow germs to dominate his/her life?

Anyhow, many thanks for your input.

Bill
Old February 26th, 2007, 09:32 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by BW
During the service, at the church where I go, there is an exchange of peace be with you. You can either offer your hand for a hand shake or just smile and move your head up and down. Both are acceptable..

I would never refuse to shake hands with anybody unless there was an outbreak of the Norwalk flu and I would expect the ship's Captain would make a public announcement to that effect.

I hardly think anybody who travels a bit would allow germs to dominate his/her life?

Anyhow, many thanks for your input.

Bill
I don't know Bill, with some of the threads I have read on this board and the brand x board, some of the folks seem to pack as much disinfecting materials as they do clothing. I have heard tales of scrubbing a cabin down, bringing their own sheets, covering toilets with 10 inch thick kevlar-reinforced pads , etc. etc. One on brand x board even brought her own silverware and plate to use in the buffet. You can be so germophobic that you ruin your vaction with anxiety attacks which will ruin it just as quickly as Norwalk virus could. One study postulated that the concern with germs and illness has allegedly lead to the increase in reported childhood allergies because given the mania for "germ-proofing" the kids natural defenses never developed. By the same token our related affinity for antibiotics has given rise to the possibility that our downfall may be from a "superbug" that developed resistance to antibiotics. Yet, some parents demand antibiotics the moment that thier little darling sneezes.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old February 28th, 2007, 11:09 AM
Admiral

I would offer my hand at the initial dinner meeting, that is unless someone sneezes into their hands and then offers it.
Old February 28th, 2007, 10:22 PM
Admiral

I agree that it is the proper social thing to shake someone's hand when they extend it in the spirit of friendship. The person, that offers their hand wants to recognize you, in a polite way. To not shake one's hand, when offered, is simply rude. Yes, there are germs all over the ship, but wise cruisers should use good judgement in how often the wash their hands, eat a balanced diet, exercize daily, and try and get a resonable amount of sleep. (I know it's hard at times on a cruise). By using good judgement one will have less of a chance of coming into contact with germs or becomming ill while aboard the ship.
Old March 6th, 2007, 01:23 AM
Admiral

At this dinner seating, I did not shake anyone's hands until the last night when we were leaving for the final time. I shoke the hand of the young man next to me because he is in the Air Force and I thanked him for his service. No one else offered to shake hands. The other three couples were younger than us and maybe that had an effect on the outcome of that decision.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old March 6th, 2007, 09:36 AM
Admiral

Mehawk, you were absolutely right to shake the hand of a serviceman. Too many times we"just take for granted" how the men and women in the armed forces, risk their lives every day to protect and defend our wonderful country. As the wife of a retired naval officer who saw action in Vietnam, I can truly appreciate what our people in the military do for us!