Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 31st, 2007, 11:48 AM
Admiral

Default Children & cruise ship elevators...Revenge on the high s

All this time I have been frequenting these boards, I kept seeing reports of kid's playing in the elevators, pushing all of the buttons and just basically being nuisances. Well to honest since I had never seen any of this taking place myself I kind of wondered if it had not been exaggerated or if perhaps people had an overactive immagination unitl now. On my recent NCL Sun cruise I had the misfortune to aome across two unsupervised youngsters having an absolute ball pushing every single button in the elevator andthen sending it on its way, so the person who catches it at the next floor ends up stopping at every floor on their way up. So I walked up behind them and told them that since they had so much fun pushing all the buttons they could enjoy the ride up with me. So there I was with a captive audience on the longest elevator ride of these kid's lives. I got to lecture them for the entire ride on how rude and inconsiderate their behavior was. I also got to tell them that my 83 year old father whose had one knee replaced and needs another replaced would find standing and waiting a long time for the elevator to get there or waiting for it to get where its suppose to be going would be a painful experience and I really wanted to help them understand how their actions, can affect others.
They apologized profusely, and from that point on everytime I saw these two boys there were model citizens... I ran into them once while they were with their parents and they had that deer in the headlights look like "please, please don't tell our parents"
How much fun can you have in an elevator eh?

Read and post cruise reviews
Sponsored Links
Old March 31st, 2007, 12:09 PM
Admiral

I like that story BW. Sometimes all it takes is an honest-to-goodness talking to to make kids realize the consequences of their actions. Too bad parents wouldn't take that responsibility.

donna
Old March 31st, 2007, 03:47 PM
Admiral

Good for you, BW! Don't know what the fascination is for kids to do this. On one of our vacations, we were in a condo on the 9th floor. My DS, who was 16 at the time, absolutely loved getting into the elevator directly in front of me, and holding me at bay, while he pushed all the buttons! :evil: Of course he had to stop at every floor with me, but it turned into quite a game for us!
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old March 31st, 2007, 07:41 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Way to go!!! What a great example you are to kids who needed redirecting.

Where's your review?
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old March 31st, 2007, 08:00 PM
Admiral

Too funny!
RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old March 31st, 2007, 10:01 PM
Admiral

I agree with your logic and actions but.... I don't want to ride in an elevator with you.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old March 31st, 2007, 10:49 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehawk
I agree with your logic and actions but.... I don't want to ride in an elevator with you.
But Michael, there are people who pay good money to get lectured to! this one was free!
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old March 31st, 2007, 10:52 PM
Admiral

Darlene...

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old March 31st, 2007, 11:48 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehawk
Beenie Weenie, I heartily endorse your action. Instead of a lecture, I would have been more likely to go for keel hauling the monsters.

"Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero"

Horace

Seven Seas Mariner - Bermuda - April 2016

Seven Seas Explorer - Med - October 2016
Old April 1st, 2007, 05:43 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Good Job!!!

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old April 1st, 2007, 08:54 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I have another take on this...would I call these kids, montsers, no...If they were, they would have talked back, showed attitude, and, could have cared less what was being told to them, and voiced just that.

Instead,they apologized,and acted like the good kids, I bet there are.

I think they just had a "moment," like many adults

I did love this cruise tale

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old April 1st, 2007, 09:11 AM
Admiral

Good job Beenie! When we last sailed the "Mariner of the Seas" we had the problem of too few elevators, too many passengers, and the elevators that did work were taken over by the monster kids. Sure wish you had been on that cruise! You could have been busy the entire seven days! I'll have to remember that tactic, however I won't be sailing a Voyager or Freedom class again anytime soon.

See you aboard (a 90,000 ton ship)

Ken
Old April 1st, 2007, 11:55 AM
Admiral

Trip,
You hit the nail on the head. They weren't monsters, they were just kids, being kids. They were doing what 90% of unsupervised children will do and that is to cause mischief. I was young once, and I did more than my share of causing trouble, so really in the bigger scheme of things, this is pretty mild child's play. I would much rather cruise with a boatload of these little "monster's", than a bunch of drunken adults or worse yet... amateur college students who think they're in a professional drinking bingefest.
Considering this is our second spring break cruise, I am encouraged that this was the worst behavior we witnessed from children. I cannot say as much for the "over 18 crowd".

Read and post cruise reviews
Old April 1st, 2007, 09:59 PM
Admiral

Linda,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I have another take on this...would I call these kids, montsers, no...If they were, they would have talked back, showed attitude, and, could have cared less what was being told to them, and voiced just that.

Instead,they apologized,and acted like the good kids, I bet there are.

I think they just had a "moment," like many adults

I did love this cruise tale
You're absolutely right.

And in the grander scheme of thngs, these children really did not cause any harm. A bit of inconvenience, maybe, but no real harm.

Norm.
Old April 2nd, 2007, 07:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

I had a similar elevator experience on Jewel of the Seas last June. I let them know how aggravating it is to have to go all the way up before we could go down and how inconsiderate it is for people waiting. They were suitably chastened and almost had the look of the light dawning when foeced to think about the effect their mischief had on other people. I did see them a few more times and they didn't mess with the buttons again. I used the same tone and "mother's look" I used on my 5 kids years ago--4 of them boys. :eek:
Old April 3rd, 2007, 08:33 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to mteague

Way to go Beenie Weenie!

This is why Beenie's adorable children have been on five cruises, with the oldest being 6 (?), right Beenie?

I am gonna post the pics soon!

Way to go girl! I'm going to remember this on my next cruise!

Melody