Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 12th, 2007, 11:31 PM
Admiral

Default Chiropractors, anyone use them?

After years of back problems and carpal tunnel syndrome getting worse I have seen a chiropractor and set us a series of treatments. Do any of you use them and are you happy with the results. According to him and the x-rays my neck and back are really a mess. I have always been skeptical about them, but decided to give it a try. Can't really get relief any other way. What's your opinions?? This is cost me a small fortune, as I have no insurance to help pay for any of it. I sure hope it is worth the cost. I will know in about a month or less........I start Monday.

Carnival legend November 2009
Carnival Glory October 2007
Carnival Elation November 2006
Sponsored Links
Old April 13th, 2007, 12:31 AM
Passenger

I *love* my chiropractor, almost as much as my husband.
When I first went in to him, I could barely walk, and was in severe pain. Conventional medicine said painkillers and rest and maybe in a couple months I could walk normally again. Two weeks after I started with the chiropractor I was able to put away the cane, but still had to be careful, a month later I was fully back to work (would have been earlier but the job kept aggravating things, I had to go slowly). This is only the most recent chiropractor I've dealt with though, I've gone to others in the past, with issues not nearly so bad, and had less that satisfactory experiences.
Old April 13th, 2007, 09:28 AM
First Mate

I am going to one right now - for over a year I have been having problems with my right side like arm getting fatigued too easily, a nerve going off down my leg, almost daily neckaches and headaches....

It has really helped. I, too, had a lot of misalingments in my back, and my neck. I have only had one neckache/headache since I started going a month ago. I don't wake up in pain like I used to.

I know a lot of people think it's hogwash, but I wanted to try it anyway. So far I have been pleased.
Old April 13th, 2007, 10:32 AM
Admiral

i have not been but my DH swears by his for his back and his neck.
Old April 13th, 2007, 10:56 AM
Admiral

I feel better about trying one now. A long time ago they were thought of as "quacks", but now I think they are respected more and more. I am going to give it a try. I feel reassured about it now after the responses I read here. I will let everyone know as things progress with the treatment. Maybe one day I can put my socks and shoes on in the mornings without moaning. Thanks for your replies.

Old April 13th, 2007, 12:28 PM
Admiral

I've always been open to alterative medicine. My husband...sorta, kinda with a big, ‘it depends’.

I'd tried to get him to see a Chiropractor for his lower back pain...but he wouldn't go...couldn't make him go...wasn't going to go, until one day his back pain got so severe he was thinking of laying off work. In desperation he agreed to give it a try.

Well...his back pain is gone, and this after only a few treatments.

One of my husbands major concerns was that once he started going to a Chiropractor...they would KEEP him coming indefinitely. That's not happen. Every now and then my husband will feel a twinge and go in for an adjustment, but NOT on a kind of regular basis.

Ask around and try to get references from patients who've been treated by the Chiropractor your thinking of using. Use common sense. If the Chiropractor's office starts to set up appointments for 'long term' treatment, let them know you aren't planning this to be your new CAREER!

Like any medical art...I believe success depends on the Practitioner’s skill and experience.
Old April 13th, 2007, 01:27 PM
Admiral

I have used the chiro with success for some problems and not difference for others. The last time (without success) was for pain beginning around my shoulder blade and radiating all the way down my arm. When the chiro didn't work, I went to the ortho and after several different treatments, I finally got trigger point injections to get rid of the pain. It was trial and error but that did work!
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old April 13th, 2007, 05:13 PM
Cruise Maniac

I was going to reply this morning, but decided to wait until after my second treatment. I went once last week and then today. Yes, my back and neck feel soooo much better. I was beginning to lean over, like a little old lady. I am standing straighter now, with the help from the chiro. I will continue to go, at least, for a while. This is not very expensive in the town I live in. The first visit was $57 and the second was only $25. Cheap enough and a great relief. The electros he puts on your back fell wonderful. He also pops my back in several places and then my neck. That was kinda scary on the neck, but I'm sure it helps...Hope this info helps you and good luck with your chiro....Susan
Old April 13th, 2007, 06:08 PM
Admiral

His recommended treatments are in 4 stages. #1 is Relief Care - 4-5 days a week for 4 weeks. #2 is Corrective Care - 2-3 days a week for 4 weeks. #3 is Stabilization Care - once a week for 4 weeks. #4 is Wellness Care - periodic check-ups to maintain the adjustments. All of these can be adjusted as needed. I am under no obligation to go that often. These are just his recommendations. The treatments can be adjusted to suit my budget and my time. I figure I will go 4 days a week for the first 4 weeks, then see after that how things are going. It is expensive to go that often, but I have come to the point that I really need to do something. So I will give it a try. It has got to make it better.............

Old April 17th, 2007, 11:21 PM
First Mate

Yeah, my co-pay is insane for chiro on my insurance, and there was no way I could afford the three times a week he originally recommended, but he was totally cool with once a week instead.

He has even told me that I am doing better than expected, and it shouldn't take as long to be healed as he previously thought, so that made me feel good, like he wasn't just out for my money.

He has me doing a lot of the "physical therapy" stuff at home with the exercise ball. That is probably helping, too. It feels good. As I go through all this, it is becoming painfully obvious that I've been favoring my left side for a long time, and I'm right handed. I was getting muscle fatigue by just carrying a grocery bag! Sad. I've been not using my right side properly for so long that it became something I didn't even notice - except for the pain that kept getting worse and worse, of course.
Old April 17th, 2007, 11:27 PM
Beginner

I have not been. I have heard good and bad. But then one can say that about evrey proffession.
Old April 18th, 2007, 10:58 AM
Admiral

I've just had my 3rd adjustment. The relieve was almost instant the first day. I was totally pain free the second day, but a little stiffer this morning. He added a cold laser treatment to my back, which he was already using for my carpel tunnel sydrome. My neck was very stiff this AM with the beginnings of a headache. So he worked on it more today. I'll go for my 4th adjustment tomorrow and will only go 3 days next week. We will work from that. Since I have no insurance at all this is all out of my pocket. If it works it will be well worth the money. I was tired of hurting all the time. So we will see..........

Old April 18th, 2007, 01:33 PM
Passenger

Sounds like you got a good one. I'm so glad it's working for you. Heading out to my chiropractor in about an hour here myself. Here's hoping for continued improvement.
Old April 18th, 2007, 03:12 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridanamaw
I've just had my 3rd adjustment. The relieve was almost instant the first day. I was totally pain free the second day, but a little stiffer this morning. He added a cold laser treatment to my back, which he was already using for my carpel tunnel sydrome. My neck was very stiff this AM with the beginnings of a headache. So he worked on it more today. I'll go for my 4th adjustment tomorrow and will only go 3 days next week. We will work from that. Since I have no insurance at all this is all out of my pocket. If it works it will be well worth the money. I was tired of hurting all the time. So we will see..........
Chronic pain is awful! You reach a point where you will do anything and pay any amount of money for relief! I hope you continue to improve.
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13