Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 10th, 2007, 10:48 PM
Admiral

I remember when Tom McCall was governer of Oregon, the Californian invasion of Oregon had just begun.

We Oregonians, in an effort to fight back, began an ad-hoc ad campaign aimed at discouraging the Californians from moving here. I remember t-shirt slogans like, "Oregonians don't tan, they rust", and the like. There was actually a sign at the state border stating something like that as well.

Ah yes, the early '70's...........!

Dean
Old July 10th, 2007, 10:48 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Something I was thinking about the other day and really missed. Headlight dimmer switches on the floor.

Bring them back. I hate them on the steering wheel. (unless you're physically challenged)

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 10th, 2007, 11:02 PM
Admiral

AR..come clean..do you remember the words to the Robert Hall song by memory or did you look up the lyrics on the internet (VBG)

I remember serving as a catholic alter boy (never miss a service for 5 years) and learning to speak Latin phonetically (sp)

when polio vacinations were required in 1st grade and the needles hurt

when no one knew what bottle water was (and who paid for water anyway/)

when you went to double features at the drive in saturday night and kept your windows up to avoid the bugs and made a perfect excuse for your windows to fog up so you could make out and tell your parents you could not see the screen

when you called your favorite radio station to make a request for a specific song to be play at an exact time and dedicate it to the girl you secretly had a crush on and didn't want anyone at school to know about it (not to smart when we were young heh ??)

no one knew what crusing was and only rich people went cruising to cross the ocean from new york to london

John Wayne was considered a sex symbol..and every 10 year old boy had a Playboy magazine featuring Bridgette Bardot underneath his mattress where his mother wouldn't find it ()
Old July 10th, 2007, 11:13 PM
Admiral

Truth in advertising: knew the first one, looked up the other two. The second one came back to me the instant I saw it.
Old July 11th, 2007, 12:51 AM
Admiral

Station wagons. Cars that could be identified by the model years because they were different from year to year.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old July 11th, 2007, 05:54 AM
Admiral

when school clothes were put on lay a way and paid for just before school began

when credit was a bad word and no one ever heard of a credit card

when you local catholic priest was considered the leader of your community and your parents encouraged you to become involved in local church activities

when working for IBM was considered your dream job and would last for your entire work career

when everyone went to the local laundry mat

when your local "package store" owner knew your parents so they use to hand you (when you were underage) out the back door in a brown paper bag your parent's order

when your parents radio was as big as your ice box

when catalogs were still mail to your house and the big competitors were Sears and Roebuck and Montgomery Wards and no one ever heard of Wal Mart

when you went to college to avoid going into the military

when there was no such thing as major women sports and if a girl was a great athlete or could beat the boys in sports that was a bad thing

when being a "bad" girl had an entirely different meaning to a young boy

when the only lottery was the Irish Sweepstakes and it was illegal to play it in the United States..and there was no such thing as an instant millionaire, you made money the old fashion way, you worked hard and saved it

when everyone knew someone who use to drive home drunk and the police use to follow you home to make sure you got there safely

everyone had a childhood friend who's parents had a secret (domestic abuse) but no one ever said anything

when wearing baggy pants was not a status symbol, but instead meant that your parents would buy your pants 2 size larger so you could "grow into them" and save money

when there was "race" music played on the radio

when cars had ash trays as a standard feature

when no one you ever knew had parents who were divorced

when "you got mail" meant you walked to the end of your driveway to open your mail box and actually knew your mailman (and yes back in those days there were no women carriers) and made sure they had a christmas gift)
Old July 11th, 2007, 06:49 AM
Admiral

Cracker Jacks came in a box and had a real toy in it. One time on a 4 hour car trip my parents gave me a box and it had a toy whistle inside. Trust me, the contents were carefully screened by the parental units from that day on.

We used to save the side panels from milk cartons to get a free general admission to a NY Mets game.

We used to save Bazooka Bubblegum Comics to redeem for prizes.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old July 11th, 2007, 08:05 AM
Admiral

when young boys idolized major league baseball players and every kid had a collection of baseball cards that you swapped and players stay with one team for their entire career (when your loyalty was either with Mickey or Willie and no one wanted to be like Mike)

When Alabama Gov George Wallace blocked the front gate to UA and said that no African American would ever enter the university (more a states rights issued than civil rights) and just a few years later Coach Bear Bryant quickly changed that when his team was beaten by Notre Dame in the Cotton Bowl, the Notre Dame team was lead by several African American starters

when "rap" music meant listening to Sgt Barry Sadler "Battle of the Green Berets"

When Frankie Vali and The Four Seasons dominated the top 40 charts and long before he was better known for his cameo's on "The Sopranos"

When CBS's NFL pre game show was headed up by Brent, Irv, and Jane was #1 and Fox Sports meant hunting them not watching them

when you could buy a set of 4 tires for your car for $59.95 and they lasted for 50,000 miles
Old July 11th, 2007, 08:56 AM
Admiral

"when you could buy a set of 4 tires for your car for $59.95 and they lasted for 50,000 miles". . .which didn't help a lot because the car only lasted for 30,000.

"when your local Catholic priest was considered the leader of your community and your parents encouraged you to become involved in local church activities". . .we weren't Catholic but the local priest's name was Father Boss. I guess that made him a leader. My father used to refer to the church as St. Bingo's, because the bingo sign was bigger than the one with the church name on it.

"when you went to college to avoid going into the military". . .right, and now you don't have to bother to do that. I wonder if that's why education is going to hell.

"when wearing baggy pants was not a status symbol, but instead meant that your parents would buy your pants 2 size larger so you could "grow into them" and save money". . .either that or they bought them at Robert Hall.

Which reminds me, I woke up with a fourth Robert Hall jingle swimming in my brain. . .

We're doing our Christmas shopping
At Robert Hall this year;
We're saving on clothes for Christmas
At Robert Hall this year.
Old July 11th, 2007, 09:11 AM
Admiral

I paid $4760. for my new 1964 Corvette Convertable with every option available, except air conditioning. (I was reminded because I just saw one listed in a local paper that was in need of a total restoration for only $21,000.) WOW, what a deal.

Ken
Old July 11th, 2007, 09:19 AM
Admiral

My husband and I bought a new Chevy Z-28 Camaro in 1970 for just over $3,000. I don't want to even think what it would cost today in mint condition. The same for the Super Bee that he had before we were married...it just makes ya sick to think what we had then. I would love to have those cars now!!!!!

Darlene from Pittsburgh
Destiny-4/9/2000-E. Caribbean
Valor-5/11/2008
Liberty-5/1/2010
Pride 4/21/2013
Pride 9/8/2013
Imagination 11/11/2013
Pride 12/8/2013

LOVE TO CRUISE
Old July 11th, 2007, 09:27 AM
First Mate

I was an IBM kid myself and remember the days when company loyalty went both ways...and IBM stood for "I've Been Moved".

and does Sears even have a catelogue anymore?

For us, vacations meant driving to visit family (our one big exception was a visit to the 1965 Worlds' Fair in New your - Remember world's Fairs?)

The thought of a cruise didn't even occur to us.

April 1, 2006 - Serenade of the Seas - 7 days to the Southern Caribbean

October 8, 1984 - NCL Sunward II - 3 day cruise to the Bahamas
Old July 11th, 2007, 10:07 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster
I paid $4760. for my new 1964 Corvette Convertable with every option available, except air conditioning. (I was reminded because I just saw one listed in a local paper that was in need of a total restoration for only $21,000.) WOW, what a deal.

Ken
According to my trusty inflation calculator, $4,760 in 1964 is $30,290 in today's dollars. I don't know anything about cars, but if you could restore it to "new" condtion for nine grand, it might actually be a good deal. Fun to think about anyway.
Old July 11th, 2007, 10:12 AM
Admiral

In 1972 paid $856 for a 1967 Chevrolet Chevelle. Had a 3 speed on the column (I had never driven a standard! )

Earlier....

Playing outside and getting a drink from the garden hose.
Catching fireflies and putting in a jar.
Trying to catch a bird in the yard, so you could keep it as a pet.
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old July 11th, 2007, 10:29 AM
Admiral

Trying to catch a bird by using a cardboard box with a stick to hold the box up and a string attached to the stick....bread was our choice bait.....
Never happened.....ha ha ha ha ha

A guy used to come to the neighborhoods selling ice balls(we called them that, now they are snow cones) from the back of his station wagon. he had a machine that would grind the ice and then he had bottles of some kind of a syrup to put on the ice. I think it was Kool aid, now that I think about it. We also had a guy who would stand outsdie the G.C. Murphy's and sell soft pretzels. He had small sticks for a penny and the regular shaped ones for a nickle....

We live in Pittsburgh, so we had Kennywood and West View Amusement Park. We always took a picnic lunch packed in a big cardboard box and a cooler for the food and drinks. We never bought any food there except maybe cotton candy. We were always with friends and families from school. That is why they were called "School Picnics"
Valor-5/11/2008
Liberty-5/1/2010
Pride 4/21/2013
Pride 9/8/2013
Imagination 11/11/2013
Pride 12/8/2013

LOVE TO CRUISE
Old July 11th, 2007, 12:39 PM
First Mate

Field Trips at school.

Now-a-days the scools can't afford them and can't ask for a field trip fee because if one child can't afford it, they can't have the event.

8 track tapes with that annoying "gap" between segments - usually in the middle of a song.

April 1, 2006 - Serenade of the Seas - 7 days to the Southern Caribbean

October 8, 1984 - NCL Sunward II - 3 day cruise to the Bahamas
Old July 11th, 2007, 03:57 PM
Admiral

Going to the Grocery Store and getting FREE:

1. Soup bones (that still had plenty of meat on them)
2. Parsley

Fruit that was tree ripened and sweet
Eggs that were fresh...with large yellow yokes.

Old words/new meanings

Mad Cow: Your cow was upset (new: a disease found in some beef)
Gorillas : See in a zoo or Rain Forest (new: Terriorist...)
AIDS: To help someone. (new: a terrible disease)

Going across the S.F. bridge for $1.00...now its $4.00

Crossing the Golden Gate bridge today is $5.00! (last year it was $4.00!)

Do you remember Sundays when everything was closed and families would visit one another, share a meal and have real conversations?

Us kids would eat 'Wheaties the breakfast of champions' and believed it!

Hey! This is fun
Old July 11th, 2007, 04:00 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougR.
Cracker Jacks came in a box and had a real toy in it. One time on a 4 hour car trip my parents gave me a box and it had a toy whistle inside. Trust me, the contents were carefully screened by the parental units from that day on.

We used to save the side panels from milk cartons to get a free general admission to a NY Mets game.

We used to save Bazooka Bubblegum Comics to redeem for prizes.
I bet those Cracker Jacks were screened. ROFLMAO

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old July 11th, 2007, 04:04 PM
Admiral

In 1970, I bought a '69 Chevrolet Impala for $2195.00. Beautiful car... Artic white with green top and a 327.

Old July 11th, 2007, 04:27 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I remember that we were not allowed to have watermelon until July 4th, because they were not considered ripe until then. They were so dark inside, and so sweet, they would hurt your teeth.

We would catch Lighting bugs, and if you wet the end of your finger, and touched the light part, it would come off, and we would make jewelry out of them.

Outer limits on Saturday Morning.

We would call ourselves camping out, in the front yard. Dad would come out after we went to sleep, and bring us back into the house.

The youngest always stood in the front seat of the car, behind the drivers shoulder.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old July 11th, 2007, 04:47 PM
Admiral

After spending the afternoon at my Grandmother's and playing hard, I would lay on the rear "sun deck," behind the rear seat in the car, and nap, on the way home.

AM radio only
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old July 11th, 2007, 06:52 PM
First Mate

Does anyone else remember "duck and cover" drills at school in the 1960's. We practiced "hiding" under our desks in case of a nuclear attack.

"Life Magazine"

Drying the laundry meant hanging the wet clothes on clothes lines in the back yard

Television shows like The Lawrence Welk show, I Love Lucy, Queen for A Day, and Captain Kangaroo

I remember when we didn't have microwaves or hand-held hair dryers

Hula Hoops

Eating dinner as a family every night at a set time

Wearing white gloves to church on Easter morning

Jawbreakers candies

Moon Pies

Sherrie
Ecstasy 12/12/09,Conquest 4/12/09, Conquest 4/19/09,Conquest 2/09, Pride 10/08, Ecstasy 1/08, Miracle 3/08, Miracle 4/08, Miracle 5/06, Conquest 12/08, Conquest 9/07, Conquest 4/07, Conquest 8/03, Destiny 5/05, Adv of Seas 5/05, Elation 12/04, Jubilee 4/03, Sensation 6/00, Celebration 5/93, Celebration 6/92,Holiday 5/92, Tropical 3/90, NCL--Windward, Skyward, Sunward
Old July 11th, 2007, 06:57 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I was going to mention about hiding under the desk.

Oh Moon pies, and RC cola

Did anyone else put peanuts in your coke bottle?
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old July 11th, 2007, 07:23 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR
Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster

Ken
According to my trusty inflation calculator, $4,760 in 1964 is $30,290 in today's dollars. I don't know anything about cars, but if you could restore it to "new" condtion for nine grand, it might actually be a good deal. Fun to think about anyway.
Actually AR, it probably is a good deal. I haven't seen the car, but they are really getting hard to find. This one aledgedly has been sitting in a garage for the last 20 years. I bought mine up in your neck of the woods AR. I was statioined at Quantico at the time, and bought the car at the Chevy dealer on the Maryland side of the river. Traded it in at Camp Lejeune N.C., and it's probably still around somewhere down there. It would be fun to find that exact car again.

Ken
Old July 11th, 2007, 08:22 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo
I was going to mention about hiding under the desk.

Oh Moon pies, and RC cola

Did anyone else put peanuts in your coke bottle?
Geez yes. I see Texans and Tennesseans have some in common. RC and a Moon pie. mmmmmmmmmmm.....

I would bet a lot of people don't even know what a Moon pie is.

How about peanut butter and banana sandwich ? Some also like mayo thrown in.

Valor 2008
Triumph 2006
Fantasy 2004
Pride 2002
Imperial Maj 2001
Carnivalle 1994
Couple forgotten
Old July 11th, 2007, 09:29 PM
Admiral

Moon pies!!!!! I loved Moon pies....
I still eat peanut butter and banana sandwiches all the time, when not dieting that is. Does anyone remember brown licorice? Not that skinny stuff that looks like the red, I mean the shorter fatter ones? You would bite into them and they had two chambers down the middle. The taste was wonderful. All of these bring back some really good memories for me!

Darlene from Pittsburgh
Valor-5/11/2008
Liberty-5/1/2010
Pride 4/21/2013
Pride 9/8/2013
Imagination 11/11/2013
Pride 12/8/2013

LOVE TO CRUISE
Old July 11th, 2007, 10:10 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo
We would catch Lighting bugs, and if you wet the end of your finger, and touched the light part, it would come off, and we would make jewelry out of them.
As a matter of fact I have been thinking about catching those lighting bugs when I was a kid. I was telling my granddaughters about that a few weeks ago as we watched some lighting bugs flying around our yard. I attempted to catch one for them, but couldn't get near them. How in the heck did we do that?

Cathy

Free Cruise Clocks
Carnival Conquest - 12/4/2005
Old July 11th, 2007, 10:18 PM
First Mate

"See the U. S. A.
- in your Chevrolet."

77 Sunset Strip "Cookie, lend me your comb."

School field trips where they actually wanted the parents to go and ride the bus with the students to help the teacher; not follow the bus through a busy city and hope you don't get lost and that you end up in the same location that the school bus is at!

Cathy

Oh and Luanne, I did put peanuts in my coke bottle! It was sooo yummy. I don't know if it was the peanuts or the salt that I liked!

Free Cruise Clocks
Carnival Conquest - 12/4/2005
Old July 11th, 2007, 10:22 PM
Admiral

Metropolitan Cars. We called them Metros. Amos and Andy on the radio along with their Lone Ranger before the TV shows. Let's not forget Innersanctum, although it was radio it scared me something bad.
Old July 11th, 2007, 10:46 PM
Admiral

do you remember:
where you placed your car keys

eye glasses

funny how we can remember our days of youth but can't remember that we just stuck the ice cream in the fridge and the milk in the freezer
Valor Feb 2009: Dina & Marty - again
Grandeur Feb 2008: DTW, Dina & Marty
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Fascination: Feb 2007
Enchantment of Seas: Sept 2006
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat