Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 8th, 2007, 03:24 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Do You Remember??

I thought I would start a continuous thread, about things, people and places from our past.....Could be fun!

Do you remember... when you got a hoodsie cup, and you licked the ice cream off the lid, there was a movie stars picture? Not sure if this was just a regional thing, or not.

Do you remember when the sidewalks in front of stores, had metal doors, & used to open, and they would take in deliveries off the street?

Do you remember when you went to the movies on a Saturday, there was a double feature, and about 10 cartoons? Boy I loved that!

How about telephone tables, did you have one?

If you were from Boston...do you remember meeting friends at the clock at Filenes?

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh, so many more to come:):)

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old July 8th, 2007, 03:42 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to JamesRT Send a message via MSN to JamesRT Send a message via Yahoo to JamesRT

Mam,
Most of all "I Remember Mama" the TV program,Lone Ranger,Hopalong Cassidy,Roy Rogers,Gene Autry,boy do I remember these!
Old July 8th, 2007, 03:56 PM
Admiral

Telephone Party Lines

Visiting my Great Great Aunt and Uncle, and having to go to the pasture to the outhouse for 'facilities.' No running water in the house and no electricity.

In junior high, collecting Rat Finks!

Making a chain from the outer wrapper from chewing gum
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old July 8th, 2007, 04:29 PM
Admiral

When I was a child back on the farm, we had a party line at the telephone table. Movies were fun when the cartoons were the big hits for me.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old July 8th, 2007, 04:29 PM
Admiral

Wow..I don't remember any of those things..either it's regional or I am a Young Pup (VBG)
Old July 8th, 2007, 05:01 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Skate Keys hung around your neck with a shoe string.

Ice creams called push ups. They were usually sherbert.

Having to come home at night, when the street lights came on.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old July 8th, 2007, 05:05 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice
Wow..I don't remember any of those things..either it's regional or I am a Young Pup (VBG)
O.K. in what region did you grow up? And what do you remember?
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old July 8th, 2007, 05:49 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Saddle shoes and Poodle skirts. New Englanders do you remember "Howdy Beef Burger"? They were around before McDonalds. there used to be one on RT 1 in Saugus Mass, right next to Valle's Steak House. Brighams Ice Cream and Candies. Petticoats so puffy your skirts were nearly straight out. The milkman making home deliveries. Cushmans bakery trucks selling baked goods on the street. Home deliveruy and pick up of dry cleaning.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old July 8th, 2007, 05:51 PM
Admiral

White shoe polish, and rolling your hair with OJ cans.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old July 8th, 2007, 06:07 PM
Captain

Default Saving bottle caps/tabs?

Does anyone remember being a kid and saving your bottle caps or soda can tabs (can't remember which)? I remember being in second grade and bringing mine in from home...The story was that all the collected ones somehow went to benefit or buy time for kids on kidney dialysis or something similar to that....Think I head years later it was all kind of a hoax / urban legend but everyone seemed to fall for it. Oh well, guess our little hearts were in the right place.

Definitely remember the good old days of cartoons before the movies...Also, cars with only lap belts in the front seat (maybe) and it was just sit down, shut up and hold on if you were a kid in the backseat (now if someone doesn't strap their kid in like an astronaut, it's practically considered child abuse lol).
Old July 8th, 2007, 06:24 PM
Admiral

Twice daily postal deliveries. Ginny dolls, Tiny Tears dolls, hula hoops. Candy dots on those long strips of paper, wax lips, candy cigarettes. Selling lemonade by the side of the road. Huge dill pickles sold right from the wooden barrels. I could go on forever with this stuff.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old July 8th, 2007, 06:31 PM
Captain

Default Interesting thread.

Cruznut your post reminded me of when businesses would actually provide service to keep you coming back....Like two or three clean cut attendants when you pulled into the gas station...One to pump your gas, one to check the oil the other to clean your windshield, check your tires etc.

Another thing I remember but was a bit too young to ever enjoy in my youth was hot shaves at the barber shop. It is pretty much a lost art here in the states now. It's now hard, as a guy, to just find a "real" barber. I've had the shaves done overseas and they are great! If any of you guys ever find a place that gives them, go for it...Your face never felt so good.
Old July 8th, 2007, 06:53 PM
Admiral

Tom and Jerry, Roadrunner, Tweetybird and Sylvester, Wylie Coyote, Pepe Lepew (sp) Elmer Fudd and Bugs Bunny. All the GOOD cartoons are gone.........

Need some cruise help?
Old July 8th, 2007, 07:01 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Party lines and special rings. Ours was "one long two short".

You always heard that noticeable "click" when someone else came on the line. I think it was a passtime for the old farm women to listen on other people's conversations.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 8th, 2007, 07:23 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Laura, you touched on a few things that set my eyes tearing! My Mother, enrolled me in the Jordan Marsh Ginny Doll, outfit of the month club. For $2.00 a month, they delivered a new outifit for your doll. I was in heaven. My Ginny had platinum hair, and my uncle made me a closet to hold the clothes..Boy, I thought, we were rich!

We also had twice a day mail delivery. Our mailman was named Arthur, and years later when I worked in Boston, he was the mailman in our building..I remembered him right off!

And when I was about 12, I was skin and bones.....I could never wear a straight skrt...the neighbor up the street, gave me a bag of clothes, and one thing was, a straight skirt..I put my petticoat on, under the skirt, and went merrily on my way...My Mother, never mentioned, all the the lumps, and bumps! Whatta nice Mom!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old July 8th, 2007, 07:45 PM
Admiral

I grew up in upstate new york half way between the city and Albany..I remember when color tv first came out..when Rawhide and Hogan's Hero's were the big shows on friday night on CBS...when hula hoops were the rage...when Carroll's had a 10 cent hamburger and nobody had ever heard of McDonald's..When Willie Mays played for the Mets..when WABC was the top am radio stationin the country with Cousin Brucie, Herb Oscar Anderson, Dan Ingram as the shock jocks of their time..when a mounds bar was a nickel..the hot singers were Sam Cooke, Otis Reading and Motown was doing the revues on the road..and the hot movie "Sink The Bismark"and Vietnam was just a skirmish that we were going to send advisors over to train the troops..and the Nat King Cole tv show was cancelled because he had Dinah Shore as his guest and he actually held her hand while they were doing a duet..and was told that not in my lifetime would an African American ever play the position of Quarterback in the NFL because it was a skilled (i.e. thinking) position and I was bused 45 miles one way every day to attend school and I was banned from that school because I saw the movie "The Cardinal" and made the mistake of going to school the next day and asking the nuns why certain things happen..and OJ Simpson played at USC and won the Rose Bowl and Jim Brown was the star at Syracuse and played in the Cotton Bowl in Dallas and was MVP but was not allowed to accept the award because of the climate at the time

outside of that I don't remember much (VBG)
Old July 8th, 2007, 07:51 PM
Admiral

Favorite radio shows:

"who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men...the Shadow knows".

"Happy trails to you until we meet again
Happy trails to you, keep smilin' until then
Who cares about the clouds when we're together
Just sing a song and bring the sunny weather
Happy trails to you 'till we meet again"

Hey, Cruznut, Valle's Steakhouse was my Mom's favorite restaurant in Connecticut. There are lots of things I miss from my childhood in Connecticut and they were all amusement parks...Savin Rock in New Haven and stock car racing, Pleasure Beach, Lake Quassapaug, Rye Playland (still there). I grew up in the city where P.T. Barnum was once Mayor so there was always a circus in town (hated those darn clowns). My grandson asked me recently what I did for amusement when I was a teenager and I told him we danced, at halls, church basements, friend's cellars...there was a sock hop somewhere every weekend, what was left of the big bands were still coming to town, square dancing every Saturday night....no booze, no drugs, just heavenly music and dancing....kept me out of trouble.
Old July 8th, 2007, 07:55 PM
Admiral

Default Do You Remember?

Green stamps, the ice man, the once a week bath, Ivory Soap, wearing braids, not being able to swim in the community pool during the Polio scare, the water pump, wringer washing machines, the milk man leaving glass bottles at the door, test patterns, and yes, definitely, the outhouse and party line.

Judy
Old July 8th, 2007, 08:01 PM
Admiral

Judy, we share common memories which means we are about the same age
Old July 8th, 2007, 08:12 PM
Admiral

Gosh, I forgot a whole bunch of stuff...roller skating palaces (quads please), dairy farms everywhere selling their homemade ice cream, and, my absolute favorite...frozen custard. Every nice day in the summer, we took a bus to the beach and stayed there all day, no SPF 30, nada, just baking in the sun all day, eating hot dogs, swimming...our backs would bubble up and eventually peel in big long strips, we had a contest to see who had the largest continuous peel, horrors. We wore our sunburns proudly...it was summer, we were on vacation. No one ever mentioned skin cancer or using some type of protection. We would leave the house at 8:00 a.m. and would not return until we were hungry or it started to get dark. We never heard stories of rape or kidnapping children. The neighbors knew who everyone was on the street and watched the children closely from their front porches (we didn't know they were all watching us). Now, unfortunately, children are not safe anywhere, even in their own backyards. My dad would take us to Beardsley Park in the winter to skate when the lake froze over and he would build a big bonfire. It was so dark on the lake, we could hear the ice cracking under our feet but couldn't see it....kind of scary now that I think about it, ha!
Old July 8th, 2007, 08:15 PM
Admiral

Growing up in MA, Trip and Laura sure do bring back memories with the things they posted.

I remember the Hoodsie ice cream truck coming by around noon each day, and all of us kids would come up from the beach when we heard the bells ring.

I couldn't wait to get my first Ginny doll either. What fun times we had and such great memories of being a kid.

Phyll
Old July 8th, 2007, 09:24 PM
Admiral

White Go-Go boots, trading stamps from the grocery store and gas station, the sacker carrying your groceries to your car and placing them in the trunk, for a tip.

Getting my polio vaccine -- the lump of sugar!

Homemade kites.
Mariner of the Seas

Old July 9th, 2007, 04:10 AM
Admiral

collecting Wacky Packages (I think "Dampers" was the rare one)

The Fantastic Four #1 in mint condition

the yo-yo craze (we have someone named Smothers to thank for that one)

Roller Derby
Old July 9th, 2007, 07:51 AM
Admiral

RoseTattoo, I worked at the Valle's in Saugus Ma. I was a hostess/waitress there. Someone mentioned roller skating palaces, I remember going to the Bal A Roue in Medford Ma on Sunday afternoons. the MDC Pool in Stoneham, taking the free bus service there in the morning and staying all day. It cost a penny to go in the big pool. My Mother would tie some pennies in the corner of my handkercheif along with a nickel to get a drink to eat with the lunch she packed for me. I would stay there until the very last bus in the afternoon. Going to the Stoneham Zoo on Easter was a family tradition. That was back when the zoo was little more than a path with a few cages of animals along it.

Laura
---Mark Twain

Old July 9th, 2007, 07:55 AM
Admiral

I remember the ice cream truck and it's music, passing by at night. Playing out in the street and yards (nobody had fences then) until after dark. Whole neighbourhood games of hide 'n seek, tag, kick the can, Red Rover....

Taking off on our bikes "down to the river" spending all day there in the woods and by the river collecting treasures like rocks, bark, leaves, tadpoles, minnows,. I would never THINK of letting young kids go off alone there these days....

Does anybody remember those transferrable tatoos? They had a funny name and I loved them!

donna
Old July 9th, 2007, 09:03 AM
Admiral

We had a Howdy's about 45 minutes away - what a treat it was to go to it. I was in about 7th grade before the McDonalds came to our area.

Playing outside all daylong, all summer long - hide and seek, kickball, softball, statues, Red Rover, Red Light-GreenLight, Simon Says - moving from one to another when ever we got sick of playing one. Riding bikes all over. Also daylong stints at the beach - and the burning and peeling. My best friend lived across the street. I remember we peeled our long sunburned skin off and for some odd reason stuck it in her yearbook. I got a note from her a dozen or so years later saying she had drug out the old yearbook and found that disgusting skin it it. I have no idea what we were thinking, but I did remember that we did it.

We had a party line, black and white tv. Got color when I was probably in 3 or 4th grade. No cable until I was in college.

Rainy days and winter days out came the board games and cards and the Barbies. I had a Tiny Tears. We played with Paper Dolls. We would have Tea Parties. Hours in the Library .

Every September getting a new pair of Saddle Shoes for School, and at Easter a new pair of Patent Leathers for Church. I don't think I even was allowed to wear pants to school until about 3rd grade, it was unheard of in our locale. Eating out was rare, especially in our own home town.

A big event was every summer when the Circus train would stop in our city, probably traveling from Montreal or Quebec City on its way to Boston. They would stop there, usually at night to water the animals - the Elephants would be allowed off - it drew a huge crowd and was terribly exciting.

Winter skating every chance we got, no matter how cold - sledding parties, and yes sticking my tonge on my sister's flying saucer (only did it once though!)

Seemed like life was a lot simplier then
Old July 9th, 2007, 09:39 AM
Admiral

Homemade skateboards made from a piece of plywood attached to roller skates. We'd get going down some mountain roads so fast you were paralyzed from fear and knew if you bailed out it was going to hurt.

Actually getting up off the couch to change the channel. You had to rotate the knob on the console on top of the T.V. to rotate the antenna on the roof to get the best picture.

Getting out of the car to open the garage door. There were no automatic openers back then.

Rolling up and down the windows in your car.

Coke machines which were metal coolers with slides in them where you grabbed the bottle by the cap and moved it through some mechanism to get it out.

Playing in the fog behind the truck which went through the neighborhood spraying DDT in the air to kill mosquitoes. Can't imagine why so many people are dying from cancer these days.

Regards,
Thomas
Old July 9th, 2007, 10:38 AM
Admiral

VTJen...that was a funny story about saving your skin, we were always so proud of those long layers coming off. No air conditioning in my house either, the summers were brutal. We spent as little time in the house as possible. Years later, when I was in my teens, my dad purchased a window air conditioner that required three people to lift, it was huge and heavy but cooled our living room where we often slept when it was too hot upstairs to sleep.

We had one of those little portable record player that played 45's...we'd stack them as high as they would go, then turn them all over to hear the flip side.

Almost every drug store had a juke box except ours. We had a long soda fountain where the soda jerk would mix a flavor into your Coke syrup, no ice...chocolate Coke was especially good.

My first car was a used '56 Chevy Impala convertible, red and white, loved it.
Old July 9th, 2007, 11:30 AM
Admiral

How many of you have read these posts, and started remembering those things in your life too?
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old July 9th, 2007, 11:33 AM
Admiral

I remember when s*e*x was dirty and the air was clean

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007