Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 12th, 2007, 12:45 PM
Captain

Toni:

Enjoyed and agree w/ your posts. I also agree with what you said about the airlines and their lotion policy etc. as they have to do what they have to do. It just makes me wonder sometimes why they sometimes overlook the obvious things (the glass). I'm just a little stumped about why they allow glass to be carried on board.
Old September 12th, 2007, 12:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2board
Toni:

Enjoyed and agree w/ your posts. I also agree with what you said about the airlines and their lotion policy etc. as they have to do what they have to do. It just makes me wonder sometimes why they sometimes overlook the obvious things (the glass). I'm just a little stumped about why they allow glass to be carried on board.
Who knows why they do half the things they do.. isnt it obvious what type of people they should monitor? and not old ladies or mothers with children??

Thanks!!
Celebrity Zenith 2002
Carnival Victory 2007
NCL Dawn 2007
Carnival Miracle 2008
NCL Spirit 2008
Carnival Miracle 2008
Old September 12th, 2007, 12:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice
the day is over..let us move forward
So dont read the post, its not over for all us
Celebrity Zenith 2002
Carnival Victory 2007
NCL Dawn 2007
Carnival Miracle 2008
NCL Spirit 2008
Carnival Miracle 2008
Old September 12th, 2007, 04:24 PM
Admiral

OK, how's this for odd/dumb/stupid, etc.

A coworker of mine got on an international flight from Newark, NJ to Ireland. Obviously he was not allowed to carry on a knife or fork (metal or plastic) with which to eat his meals.

The stewardesses rolled up the food cart, handed him his meal -- and then handed him a metal knife and fork..........

So if you're a terrorist, why bother trying to sneak a knife on the plane? Heck, they just hand you one as soon as you board!!

Dean
Old September 12th, 2007, 06:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Dean
OK, how's this for odd/dumb/stupid, etc.

A coworker of mine got on an international flight from Newark, NJ to Ireland. Obviously he was not allowed to carry on a knife or fork (metal or plastic) with which to eat his meals.

The stewardesses rolled up the food cart, handed him his meal -- and then handed him a metal knife and fork..........

So if you're a terrorist, why bother trying to sneak a knife on the plane? Heck, they just hand you one as soon as you board!!

Dean
md you are right
that is just dumb
Celebrity Zenith 2002
Carnival Victory 2007
NCL Dawn 2007
Carnival Miracle 2008
NCL Spirit 2008
Carnival Miracle 2008
Old September 12th, 2007, 10:22 PM
Admiral

Yes, they've changed that rule and metal table forks and table knives are now allowed. At least if you get them from the cabin staff. Look, they're making this stuff up as they go along.

Before they started allowing nail clippers again, they took one away from my son while he was on his way to work. He's a pilot, and he forgot he had one in his pocket. He was in full uniform, of course, and he said, "OK you got me. But isn't it interesting that in five minutes I'm gonna sit down next to a fire axe?"
Old September 13th, 2007, 02:12 AM
Admiral

That's a good one AR.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old September 13th, 2007, 10:29 AM
Admiral

I am frankly quite upset that this thread was twisted into an ugly political debate and an excuse for people to use this day to preach thier views pro and con about a war that is only tangentially related to 9/11. I am disappointed in my fellow cruisemates and will not be posting for a while. However I will be lurking.

See you all later. maybe.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old September 13th, 2007, 01:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR
Yes, they've changed that rule and metal table forks and table knives are now allowed. At least if you get them from the cabin staff. Look, they're making this stuff up as they go along.

Before they started allowing nail clippers again, they took one away from my son while he was on his way to work. He's a pilot, and he forgot he had one in his pocket. He was in full uniform, of course, and he said, "OK you got me. But isn't it interesting that in five minutes I'm gonna sit down next to a fire axe?"
Plus, isn't the plane a much bigger 'weapon' than a nail clipper?
I mean, its all about how one utilizes the item...
Celebrity Zenith 2002
Carnival Victory 2007
NCL Dawn 2007
Carnival Miracle 2008
NCL Spirit 2008
Carnival Miracle 2008
Old September 13th, 2007, 01:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougR.
I am frankly quite upset that this thread was twisted into an ugly political debate and an excuse for people to use this day to preach thier views pro and con about a war that is only tangentially related to 9/11. I am disappointed in my fellow cruisemates and will not be posting for a while. However I will be lurking.

See you all later. maybe.
Agreed.. That is why i tried to ignore some of those posts..
Have a great day!
Celebrity Zenith 2002
Carnival Victory 2007
NCL Dawn 2007
Carnival Miracle 2008
NCL Spirit 2008
Carnival Miracle 2008
Old September 13th, 2007, 05:10 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni1313
Quote:
Originally Posted by AR

I think it's fair to say that's it's been amply proven that you can do a lot of damage with a jetliner. Nail clippers do seem to pale in comparison, don't they?
Old September 13th, 2007, 07:29 PM
Captain

Doug:

Sorry you feel that way. But aren't you engaging in the same debate when you say that 9/11 and Iraq aren't related for the most part?...There are 2 very different schools of thought on that.

Actually, I thought the whole discussion was pretty tame & healthy in my opinion. Do people really get their feelings hurt that easily? I can have an almost heated debate with a friend over politics, sports or anything else then go out to lunch with them...It aint personal!
Old September 13th, 2007, 08:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni1313
Quote:
Originally Posted by AR

I think it's fair to say that's it's been amply proven that you can do a lot of damage with a jetliner. Nail clippers do seem to pale in comparison, don't they?
My point exactly
Celebrity Zenith 2002
Carnival Victory 2007
NCL Dawn 2007
Carnival Miracle 2008
NCL Spirit 2008
Carnival Miracle 2008
Old September 14th, 2007, 07:37 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2board
Doug:

Sorry you feel that way. But aren't you engaging in the same debate when you say that 9/11 and Iraq aren't related for the most part?...There are 2 very different schools of thought on that.

Actually, I thought the whole discussion was pretty tame & healthy in my opinion. Do people really get their feelings hurt that easily? I can have an almost heated debate with a friend over politics, sports or anything else then go out to lunch with them...It aint personal!
Even the administration admits there is no connection, case closed.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old September 14th, 2007, 12:28 PM
Admiral

Yes, let's put this one out for the night, so to speak.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old September 14th, 2007, 03:02 PM
Admiral

Michael,

I'm with ya brutha!

Of course, if we let it out for the night, we may have to let it back in in the morning............ :|

Dean
Old September 17th, 2007, 04:07 AM
Admiral

I know what you’re thinking – and you’re right. It’s time to lay this to rest.

And yet something happened this weekend which aroused a feeling within me that I hadn’t felt in quite some time.

When I think back on the events of that beautiful, sunny Tuesday, I remember things very vividly.

It was a weekday morning, like any weekday September morning here in the Pacific Northwest. The clock-radio came to life at its appointed time that morning, only something seemed to be amiss. The announcer was talking about airliners crashing into the World Trade Center, and that the United States was under attack.

Still groggy and half asleep, I thought I must be having a nightmare. Why would we be under attack – especially at such an ungodly hour.

After rallying my senses, and realizing that for the first time in my life that something deadly serious was really happening, I ran out to the living room and turned on the TV. And I stood in front of the thing for the rest of the day in a stunned daze.

I live near an airport, and for days there were no airplane sounds………

One day shortly afterward, I was driving down an on-ramp, and in violation of several traffic laws, there was a young woman standing at the bottom of it waving an enormous flag. And I can tell you Old Glory never looked better to me.

Saturday of that week, as it happened, was the traditional Oktoberfest celebration which takes place the second weekend of every September, in Mount Angel, Oregon.

And as I stood atop a picnic table inside the biergarten that night, I have never heard a sound as wonderful as the sound of over 5000 Oregonians chanting “USA, USA, USA………..?

You know, these years later, the biergarten hasn’t changed all that much. We still drink a lot of beer. And we still chant “USA, USA?……….

Dean