CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Cruise Give-Aways (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/340403-cruise-give-aways.html)

Headusher September 27th, 2007 11:43 AM

Cruise Give-Aways

Has anyone ever won a free cruise? Do you know anyone who has?

I'm starting to see quite a few ads for free cruises.

headusher
8)

earl September 27th, 2007 02:55 PM

On almost all cruises there are lotteries where you can win a cruise
and some bingo games where the grand prize is a free cruise. i have seen people win it but I didn't know them personally

Kuki September 27th, 2007 05:10 PM

Quote:

I'm starting to see quite a few ads for free cruises.
If they really were free do you think they'd need to advertise them? LOL LOL

Should be the first clue :wink:

Cruznut2 September 27th, 2007 05:45 PM

"If it sounds too good to be true it usually is"

Laura

mehawk September 27th, 2007 10:36 PM

So true... there is always a catch.

Cruise Cynic September 28th, 2007 12:59 AM

Oh sure, a "free" cruise: 7 days spent running on the giant gerbil wheel to add horsepower to the ship's engines....

and to think... you didn't pay a cent for the honour.

fun. fun.

CruzNut September 28th, 2007 01:05 AM

Yes, I won a free cruise - 7 nights on the Norway BUT it wasn't through the cruise line ... it was through a promotion Miller Lite beer was running and I won 1st prize. The grand prize was tickets to all the pro sport teams in Florida. Personally, I thought I got the better prize.

Mean Dean September 28th, 2007 01:47 AM

I think Paul ran an article about this very topic. Might be on the homepage somewhere.

Dean

BetterDays September 30th, 2007 11:26 PM

A couple won a free 7 day cruise last night (9/29) on the Valor.

Ironically, they were just married on the 23rd on the Valor.

CA Cruiser October 1st, 2007 12:09 AM

We got a "free" cruise among other trips and gifts when we bought our timeshare. I know in the long scheme of things we paid for it but many people we talked to who also have the same timeshare were never offered one so who knows. It saved us a lot of money when we booked it.

cathy31 October 1st, 2007 10:12 AM

we won a free cruise

My daughter and I won a free cruise on our first cruise playing bingo. It was for a 2,3,or 4 day cruise and we used it to take a 4 day cruise. All we had to pay were the port charges and taxes.

Mike M October 1st, 2007 12:00 PM

There is a big difference between a cruise won on the ship, while playing bingo or other on ship game or promotion and a free cruise where you sign up for it.

Usually the "Free Cruise" promotions are for time shares, vacation rentals, or other things. The Ramada Vacations is a good one. You end up with a time share pitch and a gambling cruise on a tiny boat to Nassau. Not my idea of a cruise. You also end up paying for the air, taxes and other incidentals.

Most of the time when you sign up you will "win". Everyone does but the first thing they will ask you is: "Your name and what credit card you will use to pay the taxes and "fees". Once you need to start paying for something it isn't free.

By signing up for things at your local mall, fair or other place you usually end up on a mailing list or SPAM list.

Personally I wouldn't register for a "free cruise" unless it was directly through a cruise line or offered by a MAJOR retailer. I would think twice or three times before registering with the major retailer.

BTW: When you win the free cruise, on a ship, you still must pay the port charges and taxes. You will also pay if you want an upgrade (the cruise is usually a, low end, inside cabin. You can apply it to a longer itinerary (if they allow it to be applied to a longer itinerary.) and pay the difference.

So there is rarely a "free cruise." LOL

Take care,
Mike

skymaster October 1st, 2007 03:27 PM

I recently went to one of the "time share" free cruise give aways in Orlando, and got my free cruise aboard RCI for a three or four day cruise. I was told that all I had to pay for was port charges, and taxes. I checked the port charges and taxes, then called the company that was "giving away" the free cruises. The port charges and taxes thay wanted was almost triple the amount that RCI collects for the same cruise, I asked why, and they said "that's just the amount we agreed to with the cruise line". Also, I was told that you could book any time you wished, except a holiday. Whan I looked at that part, I was told that you could only book low season, and even then, you had to give them three different dates, at least 30 days apart, and they'd pick the one that you could sail on. I promptly threw away their paperwork, and chalked it up to a lesson learned! :roll:

Ken

CA Cruiser October 1st, 2007 06:46 PM

I guess we got lucky then. It was for a 7 day Carnival cruise. We just called the number, gave them the ship we wanted, dates we wanted, cabin #, yes we paid $ for an upgrade to a balcony but not too much at all and the port charges and taxes were the same as on Travelocity. I didn't expect them to pay airfare so that was ok. We got it for $195 RT from LAX. We went on the Carnival Glory and is one of our top 10 cruises. We still feel like winners.