CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   The Gem is a Gem! (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/343446-gem-gem.html)

Trip December 13th, 2007 03:20 PM

The Gem is a Gem!

I shouldn't gush, but I will! This ship is all that and more! It's been many years since I sailed NCL, on the old Seaward, and I loved that cruise. This brand spanking new Gem, is just a beautiful, contemporary ship. I have toured most of the show cabins, and I just know many of you will be booking the Garden Villa's, at only$8-12,000 pp! I have tried to answer Delfs's questions and a couple more, taking pictures when I could and asking the crew.

The funniest thing for most of the crew, is the snow!! Most have never seen it before. They are all taking advantage of this wonder, by taking pictures, making snow angels, and running in the 4 inches of snow on the pool deck! Its so cute to see tne crew playing like kids...In the Spinnaker Lounge, you cannot look out the windows, it's completely snow covered!
So wierd for us as well, since usually I have a palm tree and a foo foo in the sun, to begin my cruise!

The decor is stunning, in my view, wonderful colors, and the cabin is so smartly outfitted, it will amaze you, with great built ins. We are in a mini suite, and to be honest, it's the nicest appointed cabin we have ever had, configured the right way, inmho.

Well, I just wanted to check in, before we depart, and I will again.

Kuki December 13th, 2007 03:38 PM

Trip,

Having been on her sister, The Jewel, this past summer, and enjoying it so much, I am not at all surprised to hear you've fallen for the Gem.

These are an excellent series of ships, and I can only imagine they've added yet more amenities to the newbuild than her sister had.

Delft December 13th, 2007 06:04 PM

Oh just three weeks more and then I am on her for 11 days...................

Donna December 13th, 2007 07:34 PM

Hey Trip,
Love hearing all the juicy details as you unfold them, keep them coming and enjoy yourself!

Trip December 13th, 2007 09:44 PM

BTW,the Christmas decorations are low key...Right where I am now, in the internet Cafe on the lower atrium area, there are 2 large trees decorated, and lit...there is also an interesting bare twig like tree, that has unual blue & pink dagger style icicle lights..may not be for many tastes, but it is starkly, beautiful.There are also iclicle strands cascading from the upper atrium to the lower, not sure if this could be a year round feature or, not all understated but lovely decorations.

Delft December 13th, 2007 10:45 PM

I think NCL decorates the cruise just before Christmas and then the New Years one, We were on the New Years eve one last year and the decorations were largely gone before we got off............But they are so pretty, all the differant tree's and the lights! I bet she will be decorated more fully this weekend? Oh, I am only three weeks away, we are all getting excited now, its really coming close! I am just so happy to have so many loved ones with us this cruise, this is wonderful. I never anticipated so many would end up wanting to come with us...........It is just fun and nice!

Phyllbo December 14th, 2007 07:38 AM

So glad to hear that you are loving the ship. I love hearing how the crew were enjoying the snow too.

Thanks for checking in, and getting the info to us so fast.

Phyll

thecruisequeen December 14th, 2007 07:54 AM

Re: The Gem is a Gem!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip
I shouldn't gush, but I will! This ship is all that and more!

Well that is good to hear since I'm booked on the Gem and never been on NCL before!

Trip any further info/advise on Gem would be greatly appreciated! :D 8) :D 8)

dezertcruzer December 14th, 2007 08:04 AM

I'm excited to hear all about it, too, Trip, because we're booked on her sister, the Pearl, for next October! Keep the reports coming!

Paul Motter December 14th, 2007 11:53 AM

I liked the Pearl a lot. The new NCL ships bridge the gap between Royal Caribbean and Carnival in decor. They make every ship different, so they aren't cookie-cutter inside like most RCI ships.

The NCL decor is rich and stimulating like Carnival, but it doesn't go overboard in over-stimulating the eye like some of the new Carnival ships do. They are tastefully rich and somewhat flamboyant.

http://www.cruisemates.com/gallery/view.php?id=3211

My Norwegian Pearl gallery will give you the idea.

Trip December 14th, 2007 03:14 PM

Hi Kids,
One feature that I think will be wonderful for families, will be the 2 land bowlong alley. This is adjacent to the Bliss Ultra Lounge and Nightclub, which looks like South Beach. They have caniopied beds loaded with pillows, and there is a special room within the romm, which would be fabulous for a Cruisemates get together.

We had dinner in the Teqila,Tex Mex restaurant, and tonight will be in the Benihana style restaurant, with a name I cannot pronounce or spelll yet!

I will ge back later and will spill more or Trips Gem adventure!

Donna December 14th, 2007 08:19 PM

Thanks Trip,
Enjoy your dinner! Be sure to include the desserts available :-)

cruise4ever December 14th, 2007 09:22 PM

So where are the pictures of the Gem in the snow..anyone sharing?

Brenda in Canada December 14th, 2007 11:47 PM

Trip-I am glad to hear you are loving the NCL Gem! Have a great time!!!
Brenda