CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   IRS Audit Today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/345330-irs-audit-today.html)

CaptainEdwardJohnSmith January 23rd, 2008 09:45 AM

IRS Audit Today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We'll see how that goes, if ya guys don't see me around the next few days, email me at:

CaptainEdwardJohnSmith@InTheSlammer.com

Captain :)

beenie weenie January 23rd, 2008 10:27 AM

Good Luck Cap!! May the force be with you!

msblackjack January 23rd, 2008 10:34 AM

Re: IRS Audit Today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptainEdwardJohnSmith
We'll see how that goes, if ya guys don't see me around the next few days, email me at:

CaptainEdwardJohnSmith@InTheSlammer.com

quick take the shirt off your back now so they don't do it for ya.... seriously, good luck

Snoozeman January 23rd, 2008 11:02 AM

hey Cap, Good Luck with That!

CaptainEdwardJohnSmith January 23rd, 2008 11:16 AM

Thanks guys, I'll let ya know how it goes.

OMG, Snoozeman, what a pleasant surprise seeing ya here.
Welcome to Cruisemates, tell your buddies on that "other"
site about Cruisemates, you'll find this is such a pleasant site to post on.
Once again, welcome.

VTJen January 23rd, 2008 11:30 AM

Wow, doesn't sound fun at all. Wishing you the best.

DougR. January 23rd, 2008 11:40 AM

Cap- I hear they just installed new thumbscrews and iron maidens. :twisted:

Phyllbo January 23rd, 2008 12:14 PM

You guys are a riot!

Hope it goes well for you today Capt.

Phyll

AR January 23rd, 2008 12:21 PM

They're probably gonna nail you for retiring too early and too happily. There's an obscure provision in the tax code that prohibits that. You'll probably be subject to the Alternative I Did It My Way tax.

They do have a wonderful knack for turning the American dream into the American nightmare don't they? Hope it goes well.

TravelMike January 23rd, 2008 12:40 PM

Captain, I hope you are are not facing them alone. Good Luck! Mike

CaptainEdwardJohnSmith January 23rd, 2008 06:04 PM

thanks for all the good wishes, everyone.........

so I just got back, maybe 15 minutes or so ago and boy, am I relieved!

The stupidity you come face to face with when dealing with Uncle Sam's bureaucrats!!!! So I tagged along with my CPA, knowing me, he told me to just keep my mouth shut and let him do all the talking........it turns out when I sold some investments in 2006 at a loss to offset some capital gains tax, the IRS could not reconcile how this sale (and loss) was accounted for, that's what triggered the audit, or so they claim. Anyways to cut a long story short, it looks like Uncle Sam will now refund me $12.00
How ridiculous and stupid is that? What a waste of taxpayers' money and resources. I should receive a confirmation in writing by the IRS in 6 weeks or so, I was told by the blonde bombshell conducting the audit.

No wonder this country is going downhill.............fast. In my opinion.

Once again, thanks all! Now to get back to chatting about cruising........

CaptainEdwardJohnSmith January 23rd, 2008 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AR
They're probably gonna nail you for retiring too early and too happily. There's an obscure provision in the tax code that prohibits that. You'll probably be subject to the Alternative I Did It My Way tax.

They do have a wonderful knack for turning the American dream into the American nightmare don't they? Hope it goes well.

LOL LOL LOL AR

I tell ya, I felt it was like a conspiracy against me, I received on, of all dates, on Dec 24th, that's right, Christmas Eve, this IRS Audit Notice for Jan 23rd and a Jury Summons for January 28th! Do you believe that?!?!?

At least now I feel relieved enough to laugh my ass off at this one!

beenie weenie January 23rd, 2008 06:38 PM

I was getting ready to send a cake with a file in it to:

CaptainEdwardJohnSmith
C/O Club FED
Kansas City, MO 87277

Guess I'll just eat it instead, the cake, not the file. lol!

Donna January 23rd, 2008 07:04 PM

sigh of relief for you Capt.......<sighing>!!

Yea, that whole ordeal does seem kind of stupid on their part, just glad its over and you're not in the slammer...

venice January 23rd, 2008 07:06 PM

Wesley Snipes was going to give you some tax advise LOL LOL

skymaster January 23rd, 2008 07:33 PM

You know of course, that Willie Nelson is the Caps CPA! :shock:

Angela Z. January 23rd, 2008 08:16 PM

......whew!!!!!!
Angela Z.

katlady January 24th, 2008 12:19 AM

See everyone is afraid of the auditor I don't get it. You guys should be afraid of the Collector!!! Those are the truly scary people cause they take your money. LOL Captian I glad everything worked out. I know it feels like a conspiracy but why would the IRS go through the much trouble for you? It's not like your Leona Helmsley. :wink:

VTJen January 24th, 2008 07:33 AM

Gosh, $12 bucks. Use it wisely!
What a pain in the neck...Glad it came about in your favor.
Now, have fun on the Jury.

CaptainEdwardJohnSmith January 24th, 2008 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VTJen
Gosh, $12 bucks. Use it wisely!
What a pain in the neck...Glad it came about in your favor.
Now, have fun on the Jury.

hey that covers 2-1/2 days of fuel surcharge on my next Carnival cruise! LMAO LMAO LOL LOL LOL
As I said, what a waste of taxpayers' money and resources, but hey, at this point, who am I to complain about the outcome?!?! LOL LOL LOL

gb52877 January 24th, 2008 07:09 PM

We were audited this past Oct for 2005 investment interest expense that I had carried over from 2000. We showed the IRS person our interest documentation. She asked us if we had an income we did not report and a few other questions. Like someone would say yes I had income I did not report. It was over in a matter of 5 minutes we chatted about the weather for another 10 minutes and it was over. Totally painless and yes what a waste of our time and government's money but that is how our government likes to waste money. I am a CPA so we represented ourselves. It seems like I could have faxed in the documentation or sent photocopies and supported this deduction just as easily.

venice January 24th, 2008 08:51 PM

don't be fooled...they are setting you up for something..the IRS doesn't waste alot of time

gb52877 January 25th, 2008 09:34 AM

I know what you mean, when it comes to the IRS I am always on my toes. I believe they thought we did not have the support for our deduction.