CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Sunday Morning Coming Down (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/352309-sunday-morning-coming-down.html)

ToddDH June 15th, 2008 06:54 AM

Sunday Morning Coming Down

Truer words as those in the title of this thread have never been spoken, but today, for yours truly at least, far different reasons than those expressed in the late Johnny Cash's ballad.

Because Fran was getting so tired yesterday, I insisted on helping her pack for our cruise next week. BIG mistake! I now know why she get's so tired. I was still exhausted when I awoke this morning.

I had insisted that we cut back on the amount of clothes, toiletries and for lack of a better term, the ancillary crap and drastically reduce the number of bags we took on our first cruise in June of 06. She vigorously agreed and she did cut back. I just don't know where. I kinda' wanted it to be a tad more of a decrease than actually resulted. At least I don't believe I'll have to borrow the Freightliner and 53 foot trailer as I did two years ago.

As always, our hearts continue to be with those of you who are suffering illness or travail and urge you to keep your faith. Some of us have learned that God has a reason for everything. That is why I long ago adopted a saying oft heard around these parts, "Ain't nothin' gonna' happen today what's me and the Lord can't handle."

Hope everyone has a glorious Sunday and a Happy Father's Day.

Todd

Delft June 15th, 2008 07:28 AM

Todd your posts always make me smile! Soon you are on your cruise, I hope that you have such a great time with Fran.
I am actually home, for the first time in days. I cannot tell you the relief that I feel when I walk home even if it is only to clean, change beds, do wash and get more clothes and get re aquanted with what my DS and Sam look like!
My mother is stable right now, with a liver biopsy for Monday which will show if chemo could help shrink her tumors enough to then do surgery. Right now it is to large and near major blood vessels to be of any benifit. ( the surgery that is ).
I took my sister to see my mother and that made her happy. She will go again tomorrow with some friends. Remember that the hospital is 2 hrs 20 minutes from my home and and 1 hr and 10 Min from my mothers home. There are of course hospitals closer by to her,and they do run of the mill cancers but she needs much higher level care, price you pay for living in the boonies.
Monday I hope the biopsy will go well because I really want to come home Tuesday for a night so I can attend my DS grad from college. I am hoping for this. When I spoke to the nurse she said she passed the night fine, some throwing up, but over all, much better than hours away from death last week. May God forgive me for saying this, but I hope for her it wont be these roller coaster ups and downs of acute emergencies followed by chronic difficult times, if she is to pass away, it would be nice if some one could do so in our family with out all the complications. You know you got a problem when the palliative care nurse knows you on a friendly warm first name basis. She knows that our goal in the end is to have her home and care for her till she passes. This may sound grosse to some, but where I am from death is part of life and we are used to it being at home if possible and wanted by the patient. We don't want a "medical" death. Drugs yes, not medical!
My pups sure are happy to see me! My friend has been coming in every day 1-2 times a day to give them some loving which they need.
The Netherlands won another game Friday for the Euro, I did not come in the door for even five minutes and my DS had a a Dutch flad attatched to the car.
Well better get back to laundry and the dishwasher, its a hot hazy humid day and that makes cleaning a little harder, starting late at night and early morning now should help.

I wish every one a happy fathers day, treasure each day as they come, life is a gift not to be wasted.

rollerdonna June 15th, 2008 08:52 AM

Morning All, from Montreal, where as Delft said, it's hot and humid.
Originally, severe thundershowers were forecast for the whole weekend, but so far we haven't seen a drop!

We were very lucky at my friend's 50th birthday party yesterday, the rain held off despite darkening skies, and a breeze picked up just enough to relieve the humidity, and the entire affair was held outdoors. It was a great party, with about 50 friends and relatives, wonderful food, and good times.

Todd, when I saw that title I could have sworn it was a song written and performed by Kris Kristofferson. But maybe Johnny Cash did it too?

Delft, hang in there.

Wishing all the fathers and grandfathers out there, a very Happy Fathers Day!

donna

Irish June 15th, 2008 09:14 AM

Yes it is another Sunday here in LA. We are starting out the week hot, humid and wet.

Hope you all have a great week

Todd, one thing that I learned marring into my D/W family almost 30 years ago. Never get in their way or try to help, just stand back. I get to lift that barge and tote that bale when she is done. Being in the Army for over 22 years we moved a lot and she packed a lot. But I wouldn't change her for anyone. As I heard in a move once "I would rather fight with you, then make love to anyone else" My D/W just loves it when I tell her that.

Later

Irish 8)

RD: I believe that Kris K wrote it and both he and Johnny Cash sang it.

May the hinges of our friendship never grow rusty.

ToddDH June 15th, 2008 09:17 AM

Donna,

Kris probably did also record it. But Johnny is the only vocalist I've heard do it.

So glad you had good weather yesterday for your get together. I, believe it or not, thought of you for that very reason yesterday late afternoon when we had thunderstorms. This morning it's overcast but the chance of precipitation is listed as only 20. That means that in East Tennessee, that we'll have a deluge.

Todd

LS80 June 15th, 2008 09:44 AM

Morning from the Pacific Northwest..............sun is shinning.....suppose to be in the low 70's.......I'll take it.........

Not much happening today....just taking it easy......hubby will BBQ dinner tonight.......ribs....yummmmm............

Y'all have a great day............

Sharon

ToddDH June 15th, 2008 10:16 AM

Irish,

Thanks for the clarification.

Delf,

Do they have Hospice care in Canada? I've had several friends succumb from various causes (mostly cancer) that have had Hospice. They uniformally said it is an outstanding service. It is covered under many health insurance policies in the States and I understand, although I can't carve it in stone, at either a low or insignificant cost if any, for those on Medicare or Medicaid. Hospice took care of all the treatment (dispensing of required meds, bed changing, etc.) and was an absolute boon to the famiilies.

Irish,

Yeah, I'm with you on that one brother from now on! After all, didn't we both long ago learn that "Mother knows best?"

LS80,

That's what we're having for dinner as well but the better half is fixin' 'em.

Todd

PS, just as I was typing my name, making an error of leaving off the first letter, Fran came in and stood behind me. When I realized what I'd done and went to correct it, she said, "Wouldn't it be more appropriate if you just left it like it is and added your name next to it?"

Ten thousand comedienes looking for work and..................................

CruisinK n J June 15th, 2008 10:44 AM

Sunday Morning Coming Down

Good morning from sunny Southern California.

Todd, I know you and Fran will have fun on your cruise even if it takes a 747 just for your baggage!
Delf, have courage and hang in there.
RD, glad your party panned out well. How's James?

Keith and I will go to a play today and probably go out for dinner afterward. Problem is, I'm ailing. Yet another bout with a sinus infection. I went to bed with a sore throat and when I got up, the ol' voice was gone. Can't change the date for the play because this is the last day of the last play of the season, and we paid for it, so I gotta go.

Happy Father's day to all you wolnderful fathers!

Judy

Cruznut2 June 15th, 2008 11:08 AM

Good Morning CruiseMates!! It is a lovely day here in Lakeland. Busy day for me. I am working but dropped in to home for a short while. I brought my clients with me. They love coming to visit and have coffee here. I see the site has the hiccups again today. Have a great day all day.

Happy Fathers Day to all the Dad's here,

Laura

Trip June 15th, 2008 11:16 AM

Hi Kids,
Rainy, rainy here.....too clear up later, and smile on all the Dads,
Kuki, I hope your day today, with your Dad, is filled, with all good things..health, happiness, stories, and food;):)

We will have a full house, and good food, from the Italian restaurant my daughter works at..Family, and not cooking..whatta day!

Make it a good one.

Delft June 15th, 2008 11:16 AM

[quote="ToddDH"].

Delf,

Do they have Hospice care in Canada? I've had several friends succumb from various causes (mostly cancer) that have had Hospice. They uniformally said it is an outstanding service. It is covered under many health insurance policies in the States and I understand, although I can't carve it in stone, at either a low or insignificant cost if any, for those on Medicare or Medicaid. Hospice took care of all the treatment (dispensing of required meds, bed changing, etc.) and was an absolute boon to the famiilies.

quote]

Todd, yes we have hospice and palliative care centres, both in regular hospitals and in separate facilities, but our goal is to let my mother pass away at home, I am a nurse and can well take care of administering to medical needs ( skin care, bedding, pain control ) and if I could not, the palliative team comes to the house as well daily, several times a day . We do not pay for this as we have medicare and thankfully bills are not a concern at this time. It's our goal, if it cannot be for what ever reason, then she would go to a palliative care setting in hospital or palliative centre. My brother wanted to pass away at home but two days before he got scared and wanted to go to hospital and died in a palliative setting in hospital with my mother and I caring for him. I am just plkanning for all the possible out comes and she can tell us what she wants when the time comes. Others , like Nan in the fall, wanted to stay home, and right to the end, wanted to stay home and passed peacefully at home.

ToddDH June 15th, 2008 12:22 PM

Delf,

I was referring to "at home." While I think in this country they started out with such services at hospitals, nursing homes, etc., now the patient is in the home and they come directly to your home for palliative care, at least in these parts they do. Of course, I'm sure there are circumstances where the patient must be in the hospital. The individuals about whom I referred all passed away in their own homes.

Your mother is certainly fortunate to have someone such as you as both her daughter and one of her nurses.

Todd

Delft June 15th, 2008 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToddDH
Delf,

I was referring to "at home." While I think in this country they started out with such services at hospitals, nursing homes, etc., now the patient is in the home and they come directly to your home for palliative care, at least in these parts they do. Of course, I'm sure there are circumstances where the patient must be in the hospital. The individuals about whom I referred all passed away in their own homes.

Your mother is certainly fortunate to have someone such as you as both her daughter and one of her nurses.

Todd

Hi Todd, then yes, sorry I mis understoad, there is palliative care/hospice care for at home! Differant places use differant terms, but yes we have it, but one thing about nurses, they always think they can do it better, and for me, and my mother, I will do most of the care because it comes naturally to me, and also because of a trust factor with my mother.

Delft June 15th, 2008 01:25 PM

Deleated, a repeat post again.

Thomas June 15th, 2008 03:20 PM

Fact: Kris Kristofferson wrote and recorded the song. I prefer his version. He once told the story on his episode of selling it to Johnny Cash. Kris lived in an old rented farm house out in the middle of nowhere in Tennessee when he received a call on the phone from a member of Johnny Cash's entourage. He told Kris that Johnny would like to record his song and would he mind if Johnny spoke with him personally about doing it.

Of course, Kris, who had never had any success, agreed and the caller said Johnny would be over in a little while. Within the hour, a huge helicopter was landing in the back yard of Kris's rented home. Out steps Johnny Cash and at that moment, according to Kris, he believed the caller to be authentic.

Regards,
Thomas

Mike M June 15th, 2008 03:47 PM

Good afternoon everyone:

We just returned from our Father's Day weekend. We left yesterday for an overnight stay in our favorite hotel in downtown Minneapolis. We "were" going to eat dinner at a great soul food restaurant but once we arrived we walked up to the door and found it locked. This was strange because I know it was open two weeks ago. I asked a passerby and they told me that they had a fire two days ago and the kitchen is closed and he doesn't know when they will reopen. :(

This led to a very strange gastronomic evening. Next door to the soul food restaurant was a BBQ place so we figured we'd give it a shot. We received our orders and were basically appalled. Betty had a half rack of ribs and I had BBQ'd chicken. Both were so over cooked that even with the sauce it was hard to swallow the meat. I took one bit out of the breast and thigh and could eat no more. The macaroni and cheese, greens and potato salad side dishes were equally as bad. This is not the best part of town I decided it was better to just pay the bill and go rather than make a stink so that's what we did. They did ask why we didn't eat more and I did answer honestly that the meat was very over cooked and the waitress just said: "Looks fine to me". So much for the tip. LOL We paid at the cash register and left.

We were still hungry and walked a little farther to an extremely small Vietnamese place. We figured "What the heck it can't be any worse than the other place." Well it wasn't worse than the other place it was wonderful. Betty had a wonderful soup and pho (vegetables) and I had a Vietnamese noodle salad and both were delicious. The only problem was that the portions were enough to fee six people instead of two. We ate what we could and then paid the huge $12 bill. Once we walked out of the building the wind hit us like a truck and we looked for a taxi. We saw one sitting about a half a block up. We made a run for it but another person got to it before us and it drove away as we ran up. It then started to pour. We were soaked in seconds. Earlier it had been sunny and 68 degrees. Betty's eagle eyes then saw a bus stop just a half block farther and we ran for it. We made it to the bus stop and within a minute the bus arrived. We had no idea where it was going and didn't care but to our luck it was going right by our hotel and we rode it to the front door. It was a fun night.

This morning we had dinner with the kids and grand kids on the top of the IDS building. It was a lovely and elegant brunch with a whole roasted pig and huge array of delicious and fresh items. As I was at the roasted pig station I asked for an ear and the carver smiled and said "You know what the best part is." however the woman behind me made a "Hmfff" sound and left the line and disappeared. Weird. The ear tastes just like pork rinds, that are sold in the potato chip isle, but much less salty. Try it, you'll like it. LOL Even my granddaughter likes them.

Now that we're home we're going to try and get some rest. Something about staying in a hotel is like the first night on a cruise ship. It seems like you can never get a full nights sleep until the second night.

Take care and thanks for reading my monologue.
Mike

balabusta June 15th, 2008 11:34 PM

I just got back from work and hope that everybody enjoyed their Father's day with family and friends. Rob and I had some Chinese food for lunch, prior to my going to work.
Todd, I hope that you and Fran have a wonderful time on your cruise; yes, Fran is like so many women, who tend to pack too much. Tell her to save some room in her luggage for her "indulgences" in the ports!