Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 29th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Admiral

Default Flying nuts: crazier than cruising nuts

I was checking something on my "favorite" frequent flyer website and found a post by a guy who's bragging that he scored frequent flyer tickets for 120,000 miles each that give him 11 flights in 14 days. He pulled it off by stopping in many places for so short a time that they qualify as connections rather than stopovers. He's especially pleased that all the flights are first class or first/business in a two class airplane.

Now, I don't know about you, but I wouldn't be excited about flying an itinerary like this over two weeks if they booked my flights in a two-bedroom condo. Here are his flights. . .

Washington, DC to Tokyo — All Nippon Airways first class
Tokyo to Hong Kong — Air Japan regional 2-cabin business class

Hong Kong to Ho Chi Minh City — United first class

Ho Chi Minh City to Bangkok — Lufthansa first class
Bangkok to Chiang Rai — Thai Airways 2-cabin business class

Chiang Rai to Bangkok — Thai Airways 2-cabin business class

Bangkok to Hong Kong — Thai Airways first class
Hong Kong to Seoul — Asiana first class

Seoul to Los Angeles — Asiana first class
Los Angeles to Denver — United 2-cabin first class
Denver to Washington, DC — United 2-cabin first class

We're going to Cape Town in a couple weeks on an 18-hour flight. I'm looking forward to South Africa, but I'm not particularly looking forward to the flight, even though we're sitting up front. I'm still shaking my head about this itinerary, realizing that--as he says--in some places he'll barely have time for a Dim Sum lunch!

Makes all these cruise nuts who do back-to-back-to-back cruises seem completely sane.
Sponsored Links
Old August 29th, 2008, 05:07 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Re: Flying nuts: crazier than cruising nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR
I was checking something on my "favorite" frequent flyer website and found a post by a guy who's bragging that he scored frequent flyer tickets for 120,000 miles each that give him 11 flights in 14 days. He pulled it off by stopping in many places for so short a time that they qualify as connections rather than stopovers. He's especially pleased that all the flights are first class or first/business in a two class airplane.

Now, I don't know about you, but I wouldn't be excited about flying an itinerary like this over two weeks if they booked my flights in a two-bedroom condo. Here are his flights. . .

Washington, DC to Tokyo — All Nippon Airways first class
Tokyo to Hong Kong — Air Japan regional 2-cabin business class

Hong Kong to Ho Chi Minh City — United first class

Ho Chi Minh City to Bangkok — Lufthansa first class
Bangkok to Chiang Rai — Thai Airways 2-cabin business class

Chiang Rai to Bangkok — Thai Airways 2-cabin business class

Bangkok to Hong Kong — Thai Airways first class
Hong Kong to Seoul — Asiana first class

Seoul to Los Angeles — Asiana first class
Los Angeles to Denver — United 2-cabin first class
Denver to Washington, DC — United 2-cabin first class

We're going to Cape Town in a couple weeks on an 18-hour flight. I'm looking forward to South Africa, but I'm not particularly looking forward to the flight, even though we're sitting up front. I'm still shaking my head about this itinerary, realizing that--as he says--in some places he'll barely have time for a Dim Sum lunch!

Makes all these cruise nuts who do back-to-back-to-back cruises seem completely sane.
If all of this is over a two week period it could be "tolerable" if the person was relatively young, has no commitments and can handle long flights. Many of the flights are relatively short: Under three hours.

What I don't understand is what he paid for the original ticket to justify this. If he only earns 120,000 miles it sure isn't. 120,000, on most airlines, basically earns you one business class ticket, if you use the "restricted options". Even for upgrades it can only be used for a couple of flights. Was it worth spending the money on the original ticket just to get the FF miles? In my mind, no way.

Also, he would have to spend money on food and lodging during this fourteen day period. He won't be on the plane the entire time.

It also doesn't compare to a back-back-back cruise. At least on the cruise you are in comfort.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 29th, 2008, 06:08 PM
Admiral

Mike--No, he says he paid 120,000 miles each for two frequent flyer tickets to do this. Sorry if I wasn't clear. I take him at his word on this; I have a hard enough time figuring out whether we have enough miles to do the things we want to do when we need positive space. Plus the way the programs are changing, miles are becoming less and less valuable.

You're right, it could be "tolerable" (that's a good word). But the underlying thing here is that the people who do this stuff apparently love to sit on airline seats.

Depending on the day, the route, where I'm sitting, and how things are going, I still enjoy flying to some degree. But like most people, I understand that flying is a means to an end. To these kinds of folks, it seems to be an end in itself. Which, you know, is fine I guess. Just because I think it is borderline insane doesn't mean it really is. But, of course, there's no comparison with cruises by any objective standard, even those 100 day plus jobs.
Old August 29th, 2008, 06:58 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR
Mike--No, he says he paid 120,000 miles each for two frequent flyer tickets to do this. Sorry if I wasn't clear.
AR,

Then this guy may need professional help.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me