CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Strawberry Letter 23 (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/357654-strawberry-letter-23-a.html)

katlady October 24th, 2008 08:06 PM

Strawberry Letter 23

Well, my hubby made a road trip CD and the song Strawberry Leter 23 was on it. I discovered how much I liked the song. One of these version is from the writer. You aren't trying to find the original I just want to know which version do you like best? :D
Version A

Version B

rollerdonna October 24th, 2008 08:35 PM

When I read your post I had no idea what you were talking about...until I heard the first 2 notes of the song, then I recognized it right away - just never knew what it was called!
I definitely like the 1st, original version better. The 2nd version was much like the house band on Sapphire Princess, no energy, wrong tempo, and slightly off key!

donna

Donna October 24th, 2008 08:53 PM

Yea, liked the first better too :-)

ScurvyDog October 24th, 2008 09:37 PM

No contest.....The First. 8)

fllady October 24th, 2008 11:26 PM

A got my vote :D

venice October 25th, 2008 07:30 AM

I think this is an indication you need to get away on a cruise and reflect on life :rofl:...p.s...I like the 1st one better

hombre October 25th, 2008 08:06 AM

definitely version a!!!!!!!!!!

skymaster October 25th, 2008 08:37 AM

I have to agree with the rest. A is the better performance, and version. The background singers, and arrangement in general is much better IMO.

Ken
"SKY"

Irish October 25th, 2008 08:42 AM

I have to agree with RD, although I had heard the song many times I never knew the name. Once it started I knew and A definitely was the best one.

Irish 8)

Ken enjoy the trip.

venice October 25th, 2008 12:55 PM

which version is the original and which was the "cover version" :?:

katlady October 25th, 2008 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by venice
which version is the original and which was the "cover version" :?:

A is the "cover version" B is the original written by Shuggie Otis (the son of Johnny Otis). His girlfriend had the habit of writing him letters on strawberry scented paper. If you listen to the song it says "A present from you strawberry letter 22." Yet the song is called Strawberry Letter 23, it's believed this is his reply to her letter. He must of liked it alot. :D

Quincy Jones polished up the song and gave it to The Brothers Johnson and the song became a hit. He has a good ear I like version A the best to. One more remake that I know of was done by Tevin Campbell to me it's the worst version of the song.

venice October 25th, 2008 01:28 PM

Kat....how in the heck do you know all this "useless information' :rofl::rofl: I remember back in the day when I was "clubbing" the DJ's use to play the Brother Johnson's version and no one knew how to dance to it..whenever I hear it it reminds me of being in Berkley during the height of the "hippie movement"

and who in the heck is this last artist ? never heard of him :roll: :roll:

venice October 25th, 2008 01:34 PM

Kat...I"m going to enter you for the Wayne Brady show on :idea: Fox "Don't Forget The Lyrics" :idea: and I'll be one of your back ups in case you get stumped about "60's Motown" or "60's British Invasion " selections (can't help you with country or rap or broadway show musicals)

Wayne Brady is actually coming to New Orleans at the House of Blues next month, so I will tell him about you :!:

Cruznut2 October 26th, 2008 11:50 AM

A is it for me too.

Laura

katlady October 26th, 2008 12:48 PM

I watched that show and I did pretty good. I'm still waiting for an all movie trivia game show. I think I would win that one. LOL

Mean Dean October 27th, 2008 01:32 AM

Venice,

Don't forget The Brothers Johnson's best song, Stomp!

venice October 27th, 2008 02:36 AM

Kat..is that an :-P "illegal plant" :-P in your picture, which might explain why you started this poll to determine the music you play while trying to grow your latest crop :rofl: ahhhh yes, the 60's in Berkley CA

Luanne Russo October 27th, 2008 09:14 AM

I also didn't know the name of the song.

I like the first one better, but when I got to the scond one, I saw the deer, and though "Oh No" Deer!!! It is deer season in Texas. LOL

katlady October 27th, 2008 11:13 AM

Quote:

Kat..is that an :-P "illegal plant" :-P in your picture, which might explain why you started this poll to determine the music you play while trying to grow your latest crop :rofl: ahhhh yes, the 60's in Berkley CA

It took me a minute to figure out what you meant. You are talking about my new avatar picture. My friend, if you think that is an "illegal Plant" then it's been a while since you have seen one. LOL The leaves are all wrong, that's a pine tree. LOL Plus they grow indoors, under special lighting. :wink:

venice October 27th, 2008 03:03 PM

soooooo that's your story and you are sticking to it heh :rofl:

katlady October 27th, 2008 04:55 PM

Quote:

soooooo that's your story and you are sticking to it heh :rofl:

Yup. http://smiley.onegreatguy.net/afro.gifhttp://smiley.onegreatguy.net/angel.gif

seadog2 October 27th, 2008 09:40 PM

I voted for version "A". I saw the Brothers Johnson at the Los Angeles Coliseum in 1978 at the Funk Fest 1. That song was hot on the charts then. Man did they jam.

Trip October 28th, 2008 04:46 PM

Absolutely the first one...the 2nd version, should be ashamed of themselves:)

venice October 28th, 2008 07:13 PM

Kat..great Afro..reminds me of mine in the early 70's 8)

Mean Dean October 29th, 2008 02:01 AM

Venice,

I'll tell ya who had a great afro -- Julius Erving! It was so big, it arrived 15 minutes before he did!

venice October 29th, 2008 07:50 AM

"Dr J" was cool in the day, no doubt about that..he is in alot of commercials and he still has a full head of hair but it's gray and low cut...I was not that lucky :(

katlady October 29th, 2008 09:40 AM

Quote:

Kat..great Afro..reminds me of mine in the early 70's 8)

That smiley seemed to belong on this thread. I want to thank seadog2 for making me feel young I was 9 years old when he attended the Brothers Johnson concert. :D

venice October 29th, 2008 05:05 PM

soooo Kat. did u sneak in to see them at age 9 ?

seadog2 October 29th, 2008 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mean Dean
Venice,

I'll tell ya who had a great afro -- Julius Erving! It was so big, it arrived 15 minutes before he did!

Angela Davis, now that was a fro.

Katlady 9 year olds jam too. LOL

katlady October 29th, 2008 10:05 PM

I was going to sneak off to the concert, but my feet didn't reach the petals so I can't take the car to the concert. :cry: