Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 7th, 2009, 06:09 AM
Captain

Default Wednesday - Hump Day

Good Morning CM's, Wherever you are

Yes my friends it is Hump Day, time to roll out of that warm bed and time to start the day. Well sort of.

It will be another exciting day here in the "Wiregrass" which is located in beautiful S.E. Alabama. My youngest returned back to school yesterday. The wife and I always hates when he goes back to college, as we enjoy having both of our boys at home. He did tell us that he is planning on doing his Masters program at the university that is 45 minutes from us, right now he is 4 hours away. Our oldest is busy with his job, that he love. So life is good.

Well y'all have a Great Alabama Day.

Irish 8)
May your feet never sweat,
your neighbor give you ne're a treat.
When flowers bloom, I hope you'll not sneeze,
and may you always have someone to sqeeze!
Sensation - 2008
Miracle - 2009
Fascination - Feb 2010
Destiny - 2010
Miracle - Feb 2011
Dream - 2011
Elation - 2012
Sponsored Links
Old January 7th, 2009, 06:35 AM
Admiral

Irish, your boys sound lovely! I am sure you are proud! The snow storm has started, just like they said it would. I should not complain, it is an easier winter than last year, I should not, but that does not mean I will not! I am feeling rather tired and it is only the start of the day! I need to sleep more over all in a 24 hour period. In the mean time, I better get my self out the door. Have a great day!
Old January 7th, 2009, 06:46 AM
Admiral

Good Morning Irish and to all of our fellow Cruisemates as well.

I agree with you Irish that when you love your job, it makes all the difference in the world. I always wanted to be a teacher and being a departmental instructor fulfilled that "need" in me. It also was an added benefit that I got to frequently shoot all sorts of exotic firearms the public will never be able to touch and not only did I not have to pay for the ammo, I even GOT PAID to shoot 'em! Yep, it just don't get no better'n that! It gives a whole new definition, especially during night firing exercises, to the phrase usually used when an officer acitvates his emergency and take down lights of, "Okay, I'm gonna' light him up!"

We're going to try and get to the late Matinee at the movie today to see Valkyrie. As a huge student of the Second World War, I try to avoid most theatrical Hollywood productions about the war because of the inaccuraces contained therein. Notwithstanding that, I understand this one, of the July '44 attempt to kill Hitler, is pretty accurate. We'll hopefully find out today.

Blessings on everyone and of course prayerd continue for those needing them.

Todd
Old January 7th, 2009, 07:04 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Hi Kids.
Shmushy rain sleet mix here, and since I was up I thought I'd pop in early....This should not be the best day around here . I am sure people are slipping & sliding

A day of what's to come, I don't knows.....& whats for supper, a shoulder shrug..it's gonna be that kind of day I guess Think I'll go back to bed

Make it a good one.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old January 7th, 2009, 07:09 AM
Admiral

Good Morning Cruisemates! I too could use some more sleep today. The spirit is willing, but the flesh is awake and won't go back to sleep, no matter how hard I try.

I looked out the window and it looks like we got a very slight dusting of the white stuff. We had that drizzly freezing rain kind of stuff off and on all day yesterday, so it got kind of slick. I had to stop by 3 stores before I found one that still had sidewalk salt in stock. I really do not want to fall again... so better safe than sorry, I am still recouperating from the last spill I took on the ice...Dorothy Hamill and Peggy Fleming...I am not!

Well I made a startling realization last night. Right before we left for Europe I booked d/h a 3 day teaching gig up in Michigan that ends on February 4th, and at that point figured it would be fine. That means he won't get home until late that night. But I had intended to leave early on the 4th for NOLA... so what to do? should I wait to leave until the morning of the 5th and take d/h with me as we drive down to NOLA which will probably be a major pain in the butt for everybody, because he'll be tired from all the windshield time and not getting to sleep as long as he probably should or should I leave with just me and the kids at a reasonable hour onthe 4th, drive for 6-8 hours, spend the night somewhere in Mississippi, Let d/h spend the night in Indy, and fly him into Nola on the 5th, that way everyone is well rested and we're not driving 12-13 hour stretches... the flight is only $100. OK thanks guys you all talked me into it . It's like deja vu all over again, I think I did this the last time we sailed out of NOLA.
Speaking of road trips, I need to buy a new GPS. That was one of the few hiccups on our Europe trip. I brought the GPS along, and had Europe maps installed on it. Well I forgot to put it in my carry on when we flew from Rome to Belfast and someone stole it out of our checked bags... So I really would like to have a new one before this trip. It really makes driving so much more enjoyable, when you don't have to worry about getting lost.
Let's see what else is going on, I got the sunroom half way cleaned out yesterday. The kid's desks are in and set up. I now have a bunch of stuff that needs to be gone through and pitched but this really does utilize the space much better and I have room for the kids desks, the electric piano keyboard thing, a daybed and all that stuff. The cat has destroyed the mini blinds out there, so they will be coming down and we'll let some sunshine in...if the sun ever decides to shine again.
I hope you all have a terrific day! I need to start some laundry grrr... :evil:

Read and post cruise reviews
Old January 7th, 2009, 08:38 AM
Admiral

Morning All, from Montreal, where as Delft said, the snowstorm has begun.
Unfortunately, there's not enough of it early in the morning for any school closures, so it will be work as usual, but I have a feeling we may be sent home early if it gets worse. I of course, will have to stay till 6:00 and wait for the stragglers struggling with the traffic..... such is life in snow country.

Trip, I love your description of the weather today: "Smushy". We have days like that too!

The snowstorm here, and the predicted snowstorm hitting the East coast has put on hold once again, any plans for us to go house hunting this week, and probably this weekend as well. Winter is just not conducive to travel!

Stay warm Mates!

donna
Old January 7th, 2009, 08:39 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddDH
It also was an added benefit that I got to frequently shoot all sorts of exotic firearms the public will never be able to touch and not only did I not have to pay for the ammo, I even GOT PAID to shoot 'em! Yep, it just don't get no better'n that! It gives a whole new definition, especially during night firing exercises, to the phrase usually used when an officer acitvates his emergency and take down lights of, "Okay, I'm gonna' light him up!"

Todd
Todd, your job sounds almost as good as my old job was. Half my time in the Marine Corps was spent as an Explosive Ordnance Disposal Tech, and I not only got to shoot, and play with all the latest weapons, I got to blow things up! What GREAT fun that was!
Good Morning to all my "Mates". Me and the lovely Mrs. Jones (Vita) are counting down to our Feb. 1st "Triumph" cruise. Life is good here too, but I've got lots of "honey do" projects to finish before we can leave the area.
Hope all of you have a GREAT day.

Ken
"SKY"
Old January 7th, 2009, 08:43 AM
Admiral

Good morning from sunny swfl! We are back from germany and if anyone would like to look at the pictures they are on myspace site.

www.myspace.com/gods1warrior

we had a good time in Germany and I was sad to leave. Now they are having record cold temps, we don't miss that.

Talking about a cruise again just my dh and I. We will see as we have to go to CO to visit daughter also. looked at prices, they are cheap right now thats for sure.

Hope all is well with everyone, be blessed mates
Old January 7th, 2009, 09:22 AM
Admiral

Good Morning Mates,

Well, we are all white again. The snow is coming down pretty fast and it is pretty. All the schools are closed, I think in preparation for the freezing rain that will come just in time to make the afternoon bus runs a nightmare. I will go to work and hope to make it home before that portion of the storm begins.

Tired today - only got about 3 hours sleep last night...

OK - here is the challenge - I can't find a cornbread recipe that we can all agree on. DH likes it sweet - which I know is not what southerners enjoy.

I usually whip up the Jiffy Cornbread - which is fine. But he was given about 5 lbs of fresh ground organic cornmeal when he went on a call and got this guys farm up and running a couple weeks ago. This guy also makes organic yougurt - which he brought home too!
So, give me some great cornbread recipes guys...I know that you have them!

Sue, I just thought of you this morning, I was happy to see your post. I will check out the pictures later today.

I haven't seen KimJack post in a long time...just wondering how they are doing.

Delft, I know just how you feel, it hasn't been a bad winter per se, but it is winter, so it is just so hard not to complain. Bring on the sun!

RD - I don't blame you for not trying to head east this weekend, you could easily get stranded again.

Well, I must skiddadle - have a lovely day
Old January 7th, 2009, 09:40 AM
Admiral

Morning from the Pacific Northwest.............it's warmed up.....upper 40's to low 50's for the day........but it also brought rain......lots of it.....talking flooding again........we probabbly got 2-3 inches since last night.......talk about wet!!!!

Trying to stay dry today..........

Y'all have a good day............

Sharon
Old January 7th, 2009, 11:39 AM
Admiral

Default Wednesday - Hump Day

Good morning from Southern California.

Keith just left for some routine blood tests and then the gym. I hope to get a prosthesis fitting today. I have a physical therapy appt. later.

Judy
Old January 7th, 2009, 01:52 PM
Admiral

Good Afternoon, Everybody!
A "cold" front just went through here in Avon Park Fl and the computer temp dropped from 77 to 64! But, the blast was relatively short-lived and the skies are lightening a bit. But, I think I'll close the sliding door that is open in here.
We are awaiting the arrival of my two boys, grandson, Zachary, now 7 months old-I saw him in July when he was 7 WEEKS old, and Katy, his mom and now official fiancee of son, Kenneth. That part was supposed to come first. Oh well. But I'm blessed with a beautiful grandson. Jamie is traveling from California-near Irvine-and the other son and family are coming from New York City. He will retrieve Jamie from the Orlando airport today as their flights are about an hour apart-Jamie will be waiting,and it will save us a drive to Orlando.

Sue, I don't know if you're aware that my mother died in Englewood, the day before Thanksgiving. Her memorial service will be at the Lemon Bay Funeral Home on Friday. We're all traveling over to the Service and our motels for Friday night and will be hooking up with my brother, 2 nieces, a nephew and one ex-sister in law. My one niece also has a 9month old nobody has met yet. So, the babies will get to meet, too!
Welcome back from Germany, by the way. Even in times of sadness and remembrance, it's nice to have the family together.

I've just been reading about the Crown Princess cruise underway this week. We have a friend and his mother aboard who we met on the Star Princess in 2005. That roll call is still humming along. Since we've been on the Emerald and Ruby now, it will be interesting to hear Jake's opinion about the Crown.

So, I trust that everyone has a great week. Trevor is doing ok since his fall but awoke with a sharp headache at the back of his head this morning and continues to have headaches and some dizziness. However, he did make it through his first round of tennis on Monday since his fall. I guess he'll go to a neurologist or ears/nose/throat Dr. next to dig a little deeper about his condition.

We're not going on any cruises in the near future, but Trevor has put a picture of me on the Ruby up for the desktop. Hmmmmn. He knows I love my cruising!

Bye for now. Lynne

Ruby Princess
Old January 7th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Good Afternoon Friends! I came home from work this morning. I have 3 days off. I refuse to answer the phone unless I know who it is. I have worked every day since Christmas day. I plan to enjoy my time off. Nothing planned for the day but to relax. I is overcast and rainy here in Lakeland. Have a great day all.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old January 7th, 2009, 02:11 PM
Admiral

Good afternoon from Bethany Beach, Delaware where it is stilly raining! Rob and I took a drive to Ocean City, Maryland and couldn't believe what a ghost town it is during the winter! Oh well, I do have enough of the beach living in Virginia Beach. We ate lunch at Steakhouse 26 in a small shopping center near Bethany Beach. This is just a few days of rest and relaxation for us until we both go back to work. Right now I am counting my blessings that we both have jobs!
Old January 7th, 2009, 07:04 PM
First Mate

Dear Mates,

It is 5 p.m. I just got home from work. It was a good day, it ended with a two hour meeting. I don't know that these biweekly meetings make us better teachers. But then again who a asks us.

Today it warmed up to the mid 30's. It is nice to see some of the ice melting. I guess the mountains are getting hit again.

Judy, did you get a good report from your doctor? I think you had an appointment yesterday.

jojo