Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 29th, 2009, 07:47 AM
Captain

Default It's Hump Day

It's a rainy day here but I must get moving anyway. I have a meeting in Columbus, Oh around 11 am/ Will stop in and visit a friend up there who had a knee replacement about 2 weeks ago. She says she is doing fine but I want to see for myself. Hoping the meeting doesn't run long as I would like to do some shopping while in the big city. Around here the only place we have to shop is WalMart or KMart and I need a few items they don't have.
Hope all who follow have a great day. Prayers to those in need.

Read and post cruise reviews
Sponsored Links
Old April 29th, 2009, 07:56 AM
Admiral

An early start to the day after a long meeting last night. The sun is out again and that is always lovely, its not hot yet at this time of year and when it is, its not humid. Just wonderful.
Have a few more things being done in the house today to finish off a few things. One more door being installed today in the upstairs bathroom. It was a special order size wize and didnt come in till last week. Tomorrow will be a chemo day again for my mother. SoI know where I will be then! It is so much easier now, just from the time I leave to the time I come home five hours as opposed to nine and ten hour days with five hours being driving time before to go back and forth to Ottawa.
DS write his two last final exams this day, and he will be glad when that is over! He has been doing well mark wise this term. He loves cGill and I am glad he is happy there.
Have a great day every one.
Old April 29th, 2009, 08:45 AM
Admiral

Good Morning CruiseMates!
Delft you've done a great job taking care of your family. I hope you get to enjoy that extra time you've earned! BTW how is your sister getting along? I know you were terribly worried after the surgeon's call, I hope all is well.

Well I have to say I felt really good about our visit with the inlaws. It was very nice and I think they really enjoyed their time here. I know it meant so much to the kids. The saddest part was when they left, dd looked up at me with her big brown eyes and said "Mommy, I won't have anyone to take walks with me now that Oma's gone" Everyday they would take her baby dolls for a walk down to the end of the lane and back. D/S was so thrilled they could be here for his birthday. D/h's Mom seems to be holding her own healthwise. She seems very calm, but I do sense that something is going on with her illness and we're waiting to see what will need to be dealt with next. It is hard to know as it seems Myeloma attacks each person in a different way. The symptoms generally tell you it is on the move before the bloodwork reflects a change. It is a sneaky nasty disease. I hope they can find a cure for it someday, as I would like my children to see their Oma get old. 63 is not old in my opinion. My Grandmother lived to be in her late 90's, that is how it should be, in my opinion.
Well today is another rainy dreary day. Kind of depressing. This swine flu thing is really getting on my nerves too. I am so thankful we live where we do. It is not so densely populated. D/H can work from home if need be. I am thinking about keeping the kids home with me this week and not take them to the sitter for a couple of hours like I normally do. Just to see where this flu thing is going. I am not really being an alarmist, just I don't see any reason to expose them to other kids right now during this time of potential outbreak. They can come with me to PT today. I just kind of want to see what is going to happen over the next week or so.

I feel really good that my house is in pretty good shape right now. I just need to get some laundry done and unload the dishwasher this morning. It's nice when all your hard work pays off and you can sit back and enjoy it.

Got a call from the next door neighbor last night. They have a very sick dog right now. They're not sure what's wrong. He's been throwing up, has a temp of 104 and can barely walk. He's at the vet and they're trying to figure it out. I will wait until later this morning to find out if he made it through the night and if they've figured out the cause yet. They love their dogs so much, I hope the vet can figure out what is wrong and get him back on his feet.

The house is so quiet. It is hard to adjust after all the activity of the last few days. The kid's are still asleep and it's just me and Sami the wondercat right now. She is sitting on the bookcase in the sunroom looking out the window at the birds. She's licking her lips, fantasizing what they might taste like if she were to catch one.

Well it is mushroom season. I would like to take the kid's out and hunt for some if the rain would ever let up. I love morels, the taste is unique and each year it seems we find less and less. This year I have not really gotten the chance to hunt for them. There are woods next to us. Perhaps later today I might take the kids out. The only thing is we usually come back covered in ticks this time of year. I try to leave a broom out on the porch, because it is amazing how many you will find trying to climb up your shoes and pants. That way we brush them off before they get to your skin or in the house. Also must wear a hat and long sleeves. I will report tomorrow if we actually get out and find some... and tell you how great they taste...lol!

Well I hope you all have a wonderful hump day and all of your prayers are answered and your needs are supplied. Take care!

Read and post cruise reviews
Old April 29th, 2009, 09:28 AM
Admiral

Morning All, from a sunny Montreal, but don't let that sun fool you! It is only 4C (back down to 39F). It's been yo-yo weather the past few days, no wonder people get sick!
Speaking of sick, we have a child at daycare who just returned Monday from a vacation in Mexico. Kinda makes you nervous! He seems perfectly healthy, and his family was staying far away from Mexico City, so hopefully, all is well. But the panic in the media is certainly scary!

BW, regarding your neighbour's dog, it made me think of my dog when she was still a pup, with the sudden vomiting, fever and unable to move.
Turned out she had a twisted bowel, and they got her on the operating table within hours of death, and had to remove 2 feet of her bowel. Quite traumatic for an 11 month old puppy. She is fine, but has always had bowel issues ever since. But at least she's still here!
I hope your neighbour's dog is OK too!

I got a coat of primer on 1 wall last night, then ran out of paint, so that will be put on hold until after LOST tonight! Since last week was a "synopsis" episode made up of past clips, I am VERY anxious to see a new show tonight!

donna
Old April 29th, 2009, 09:50 AM
Admiral

Good Morning Mates,

Cold out there today - we were teased and tempted by summer temps, only to rudely be thrown back into the arms of early spring temps - as it was only in th 30's when I awoke this morning. There is some sun, but clouds are winning.

Travelsue - Oh keep us posted on your dh and your athelete! You don't know how thrilled I would be to have even one of either a Walmart or Kmart nearby - we only have minimarts and a few specialty stores, and lots of farmstores. So finding anything I need is a pain...o and grocery stores, but even they seem to be missing basic ingredients.

Delft - thankful that your travel time has been shortened! My son too is in the last few days of the semester and seems very stressed. I feel so bad he is so far from home that I can't at least feed him and do his laundry - he lives in an apt., so on top of studies and putting in his hours for the sports med. training (200 per semester), he has to feed and do housework...also he is in charge of paying all the bills with the aprt. and is also trying to find new digs for himself and the new roommates he will be living with next year. His plate is too full.

RD- my dd is looking forward to a real episode of Lost tonight. There will be no talking allowed while she watches intently - with remote in hand to go back to rehear or see something.

BW - I understand your concern...just listen to any updates today then make the decision about your kids. It is so hard to know what to do - they say to be prepared, like we up here do in the winter...so I don't know what I will do about that, I guess I could make a list and stock up on a few basics - can always use toiletpaper, and such. But I don't want to go crazy...hard to keep a balance.

Off to work and for blood work - ick. Then Bible Study tonight.
First I must get supper in the slow cooker - found the recipe on allrecipes.com - either potroast or london broil - put in slow cooker with a jar of those hot pickled peppers = I bought two kinds and I will also add a bottle of crushed roasted red peppers that have had some heat added too them - will dice up an onion - and let them co-mingle all day - then just like pulled pork - remove the meat and shred it , add it back in, let it soak up some more juice, then toast up some whole wheat buns, add the meat - melt some provolone on top and eat! I will make a cole slaw to go with this, and not sure what else - a veggie of some sort.

Hoping all the mates have a great day - stay safe, healthy and enjoy a special moment.
Old April 29th, 2009, 11:48 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Good morning ladies and gentlemen:

Yesterday was a busy day. I had to replace a gear on the tow behind mower. It's hard to find parts for 40 year old equipment but there are enough farm implement places around here so it only took a couple of hours to find it, have Betty haul me over there and then install it. The only problem was the gash in my hand that "klutz boy" incurred when pulling the broken gear.

Once completed the yard work was taken care of but I had to use the tractor lights to finish it. Scary: Me driving a tractor in the dark. No trees, dogs or rock walls were injured.

Today is a "hair sucking" day. Kramer is shedding off the last of the winter coat and the clean carpet I had on Monday is now littered with clumps of yellow and white fur. I love that dog but I'm thinking of turning him from a Lab to a Mexican Hairless.

I hope that all of you have a great Wednesday and stop and smell the flowers, or in Jen's case, the London broil.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 29th, 2009, 12:42 PM
Admiral

Good morning, friends!

Last night was a lot of fun. Since it was PGB's birthday, both sets of grandparents and Mama and Daddy surprised her with a trip to Chuck E. Cheese. It was the the perfect end to her perfect day. Her "real" party will be Saturday, with all her friends.

I'm still slowly making plans for our TA cruise in November. We will start in Barcelona and end up in New York City on December 12. I'm really excited about this cruise, lots of "firsts" with this one.

Lots of little things to do today, nothing exciting, but it sure makes me appreciate being retired, so I can do them!

Everyone have a great day!
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old April 29th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Admiral

Default It's Hump Day

Good morning from an overcast Southern California, but in a few whours the sun will shine. The feral cats are all in a pile on the deck again.

The big news here is, of course, the Swine Flu. With my compromised immune system, I have to admit that I am concerned abut this bug. Maybe one more trip to P.F. Chang's today, and then I ight take seriously the week to ten day incarceration period that the chemo imposes.

Have a good day!

Judy
Old April 29th, 2009, 10:09 PM
First Mate

Good Evening Mates,
I hope that you all had a nice Wednesday. This past month has been busy. School continues to be busy. We worked on class lists for next year at a meeting this afternoon.
The highlight of my life is the fact that my dear kitty had kittens yesterday. I tried to find them last night, with no luck. Today she showed my husband where they are. We have three cute little gray tiger kittys. They look just like their mommy. So far she is doing a good job taking care of them.
This swine flu is scarry. I think the hysteria will pass within the next week.
Today was nice and sunny. Only problem is, they are predicting rain again for the weekend.

jojo