Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 27th, 2009, 05:55 AM
Admiral

Default Hump Day Arrives!

You will be relieved to hear that "The Sarge" has gone on furlough. He has been temporarily replaced by a kindler gentler individual who wishes to announce the new day in a more friendly and acceptable manner. Toward that end, "Good Wednesday Morning fellow Cruisemates."

I've printed out our boarding documents and have the luggage tags all ready to put on (after I take the old ones off from last June's cruise). The dining room table (with all three leaves in it) is chock-a-block with folded clothes etc. and the gates are up to prevent our feline children from getting too inquisitive.

Fran and I both decided last year that to take so many pieces of luggage was absurd and she was severely cutting back for this cruise. Well, that was the intent anyway. But as I counted luggage pieces yesterday not only did I count the same number of pieces as last year but a new one has appeared that is double in size than the one it has replaced from last June! I asked her what the reason for the larger piece was and she just .

I can't wait to get outta' Dodge. Two more weeks and we're "in the wind" as we used to say back in the sixties. We have decided that come hell or high water, we're spending some time in Manhattan for the first time since '96 when we moved to my hometown here in Tennessee. One of the first stops after we visit Ground Zero (last time I was there I was in the North Tower) will be either the Carnegie or the Stage Stop Deli for a REAL Pastrami on rye. Then a visit to the Intrepid which has returned to its original berth. Will, of course, take a quick trip upstate to visit the guys with whom I worked "on the job."

Can't wait to becme ensconced in the same stateroom on the Explorer that we had last year!

Prayers to those on the list (and especially at today's Healing Service at Church) and Blessings upon everyone.

Todd
Sponsored Links
Old May 27th, 2009, 06:13 AM
Captain

Good Morning Todd and all to follow

Yes it is Hump Day and that means another day closer to retirement and another day closer to the weekend. Of course another day closer to our cruise is a given.

Well it is off to work, you all have fun not.

Have a great Alabama Day.

Irish

Todd you and Fran enjoy NYC and the cruise. Please send pictures of the refurbished Intrepid.

May God be with you and bless you.
May you see your children's children.
May you be poor in misfortune, rich in blessings.
May you know nothing but happiness.
From this day forward.
Sensation - 2008
Miracle - 2009
Fascination - Feb 2010
Destiny - 2010
Miracle - Feb 2011
Dream - 2011
Elation - 2012
Old May 27th, 2009, 06:50 AM
Admiral

Good Morning CruiseMates!
Todd, I am thrilled that you are making the final arrangements for the cruise you and Fran have been looking forward to for so long. It is well deserved! I love sailing from NYC. Used to be that the Intrepid and the Concorde were both right next to the Manhattan Cruise Port and it was so cool to see them both right there. Not sure where they are now, but I bet you and Irish know.
Darn, somehow I hit a button to post and didn't mean to. So here's my first edit lol.
Well d/d's first game went very well. She got up to bat three times and hit the ball all three times. She just needs to work on running a bit faster, because she seems to run out of gas as she nears home plate. But truly she did a great job and I could not have been prouder.

No games today, but if the rain clears, we'll probably go over to my girlfriends house to see her goats and puppies. It should be lots of fun. We just love critters lol.

I need to do a little stone work on my patio before I declare it officially finished. But I have to find just the right sized stones to cover the pie shaped wedges left in the top of the retaining wall stone that forms the outside perimeter. Once that is done I will stop fussing with it.

Not much else going on today. Just hope everyone has a great hump day!

Read and post cruise reviews
Old May 27th, 2009, 07:08 AM
Admiral

Good Morning All! To answer the question on the table, the Intrepid is back at its dock at midtown Manhattan after a refurbishment.

Back to work after an extended weekend . It has calmed down considerably but business is about to pick up once again.

The Shoobies (our disrepctful term for tourists) are back with a vengance. Marj is going nuts trying to schedule service calls for thier broken appliances. They all seem to think that since they are summer people that they should get immediate service that doesn't intrude on their "beach time" or afternoon naps. They consider inoperative ice makers to be a priority emergency. (Actually, the only emergency is a no-cold refrigerator). Those of you on facebook who read my page can see a story of a group of Shoobie boys who got drunk and decided to steal stuff from unlocked cars (Shoobies being stupid and careless) in Ocean City. At least they victimized thier own kind.

Hope everyone has a great day!!!!

Castires Harbor and Crown Princess, St Lucia

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old May 27th, 2009, 07:41 AM
Admiral

Good morning "Mates". Todd, it sounds like you'll have a GREAT time, not only aboard your cruise, but on the visit to "the city" as well. I've only been back ONCE since I worked at NYPD, and frankly,,,,,haven't missed it. The lovely Mrs. Jones (Vita) grew up in the Bronx, and still has family in the city, so goes back occasionally.
Not much new around here. It's GREAT waking up on hump day, after only one day at work this week.
Beenie, sounds like your DD is doing super. You have every right to be proud.
Irish, I'm with you,,,,,one day closer to retirement!

Ken
"SKY"
Old May 27th, 2009, 08:03 AM
First Mate

Todd,

Be aware that the sandwiches at both those venues continue to be literally "mile high." Mrs. S and I end up splitting one, and even then are challenged to finish. A tough choice as to which one to visit, but we lean toward the Carnegie. Whichever you choose, enjoy !

You will definately find the city changed since '96, and not just at Ground Zero. But as I'm sure you know, there is nothing quite like the Big Apple in so many ways.

Out of curiosity, when you mention going upstate to see frineds, where abouts might that be? The reason I ask is the Mrs. S and I are upstate NY natives, from a small town west of Albany some 40 miles, Amsterdam. When someone says upstate New York to us, we think of places like Plattsburg, or Massena, or Potsdam. Upstate to NYC natives is White Plains.

At any rate, enjoy your visit and of course the cruise.

..and if I may, good morning to all the denizens of this particular thread (which I have been lurking on for lo these many months), and prayers to all those who are in need.

Now for another cup of coffee and prepare to face whetever today may bring.

Sid1962
Old May 27th, 2009, 08:29 AM
Admiral

Good Morning Mates,

Rain is settling in for a few days - but that is ok - as today is an office day,
and tomorrow morning will be taking dh to the Medical Center in NH for his jaw surgery.

I truly am not looking forward to this...for I know what it will be like after, and I know what kind of patient he is.

I just can't believe how tired I am - I just cannot seem to revive at all.

BW - when my son played t-ball he and the kids were avid watchers of Power Rangers - so he would be in the outfield making "Power Ranger" moves - comical, but dangerous.

Todd - how I would love a good pastrami sandwich...

Wishing you all a good day
Old May 27th, 2009, 08:56 AM
Admiral

Jen it really is frightening when ADD kicks in and the kids enter "the zone" while on the ball field. I am scared to death they'll get beaned by a ball while they're out there in la la land lol!

Welcome Sid... you have been assimilated, see ya tomorrow, lol.

Old May 27th, 2009, 09:35 AM
Admiral

Sid,

Welcome to our "Chit-Chat Family" here on the web. A few years ago i used to talk about people spending so much time on the computer. Now, I are one!

We lived in the Mid-Hudson Valley, so your observations vis-a-vis "upstate" is correct !

Thanks for joining our crowd!

Todd
Old May 27th, 2009, 10:00 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Good morning everyone from Central Texas, where we have had a nice thunder storm over night to cool things down again.

I cleaned out my closet yesterday. What a mess. I seemed to have been the catch all for all things during the last couple of months. It looks much better now, and Goodwill will benefit.

Josh has decided he isn't going back to school in the fall. He did mange to finish his Associates degree, but did not get to walk with his class, because you have to let them know three months before graduation, and well.... he had more then graduation on his mind. He could walk in August, but he has been forced by Joe's death, to put what is most important to him, first, and I accept that.

I do not know what comes next for him. He is still having lots of problems, that he is trying to work through. He was so sweet, but sad the other day, when he asked me how long does it take to get over loosing Joe. I didn't have that answer.

I feel much stronger now. I am finally at peace with what has happened. I will always be grateful for the prayers we received. They lifted me up, so walking wasn't so hard. Without them, I would not have made it.

Today, I clean.... It seems a never ending thing. It is also good therapy. Clean is always better.

I hope all of you have a good day. My love continues for all of you.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old May 27th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Captain

Hello to all the Mates! I have been up working for hours just now got the chance to check out chat. I spent all day yesterday at the hospital with my Mom. She had a vein opened up in her leg to help the circulation. It seems to have helped her already as she said last night her foot felt warmer. Just hope it continues to get better for her.
Today I am playing catch up in the office. I took the weekend off and then being gone yesterday I am behind. I've already got several things done but still have a few more calls to complete.
Beanie, I love watching the kids play ball. My grandaughter is on a T-ball team for the first time this year. Some of the little ones have no idea what to do or where to run if they manage to hit the ball. If the rain holds out she has a game tomorrow evening so I'll be there.
Todd, I am so jealous that you are going cruising, I don't get to go till Jan. Have a great time and enjoy NYC.
Luanne, would you come clean my closets? That was the one thing I had put on my list to do when I retired from my regular job in 2000. Still haven't got it all done yet!!! Oh well some day.
Hope everyone has a great day. Prayers to all those in need.

Old May 27th, 2009, 11:06 AM
Admiral

Morning from the Pacific Northwest............sun is shinning....no rain in sight......all is good........

Todd............you & Fran have a great cruise & visit.......have a bite or two of the sandwich for me........sounds sooooooo good......

Beenie..........glad the kids are enjoying the games......

Jen....will be thinking of hubby during his surgery......

Luanne........I understand Josh's questions.........glad you are doing better.....you & your family are still in our prayers.......

Y'all have a good day.........

Sharon
Old May 27th, 2009, 11:14 AM
Admiral

Good morning from Virginia Beach. Todd, may you and Fran have a wonderful time on your cruise. Yes, I hear you about the luggage; there have been many times, on cruises, that we have had to buy an extra piece of luggage, just to get what we have bought on a cruise, home! This past cruise was no exception. At Schipol Airport, I headed straight to a store and bought another piece of luggage! I just can't resist buying something in every port that we are in. With cruise prices down, as they are, Rob and I are considering booking another cruise departing in December. "Once a cruise addict, always a cruise addict"
Old May 27th, 2009, 12:03 PM
Admiral

Default Hump Day Arrives

Good morning from Southern California. I guess June Gloom has arrived early here.

Todd, have a wonderful cruise! Take a big bite of that sandwich for me, too!

I have a big pile of ironing to bite into. Keith's doctor said he has allergies. I don't know about that . . . but he is feeling better and plans to go to the gym today and the dentist this afternoon. Exciting, huh?!

Have a nice day!

Judy