Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 2nd, 2009, 07:06 AM
Admiral

Default A Bright Tuesday!

Good Tuesday Morning everyone. What a gorgeous morning it is too.

A week from today I load up the car and Northbound we head on I-81. After not only moving back down here upon retirement but after a total of 37 years running up and down I-81 I'm pretty sure I know every exit, gasoline station, motel, restaurant...you name it, between here and I-84. These days, however, we seldom progress further than I-78 prior to hanging a right; now to NYC as opposed to the Hudson Valley.

I really have to think about buying a new car at some point. I adore my 2001 Gran Am which both looks as good and runs as well as the day I bought it. But with around 120,000 miles on it, I get antsy going on road trips and even after New York we have a couple more coming up by the end of the year, one to Indianapolis and the other to Sarasota. I just don't want to get back into carpayments even though I know that's inevitable. I also want to strike while the proverbial iron is hot what with this being the best time in history to buy a new car (at least best time for they buyer). I really want a Malibu V-6 but couldn't really afford to think about that. Now it's looking more feasible.

Fran's niece who is hosting us on our cruise, wants the three of us to spend Christmas at her magnificent condo on Siesta Key. We haven't been down in over six years and she hasn't herself been down in almost eight! That was the one time we went down without her from here but we didn't enjoy it because she wasn't with us. So these new plans, as I'm wont to say, "Work for me!" It is kept immaculately by service staff whether anyone is there or not. It's on the waterway just across the street from one of the beaches frequently voted the most beautiful in the States. We're no longer "beach fanatics" so that is one reason we don't head for a beach on a cruise.............unless of course there is a bar with dirt cheap drinks sitting beneath a palm tree! For some reason both the affordability and location of such a place is now almost impossible to find.

Happy Birthday Ken!

Prayers of course continue for those on the list along with Blessings on all 'o you'uns.

Todd
Sponsored Links
Old June 2nd, 2009, 07:24 AM
Captain

Looks like another beautiful day here in Southern Ohio. Temps are already in the high 60's with it due to top out in the 90's. Rain is coming tonight and tomorrow but that's ok it just means the grass will grow faster!
The meds the Dr. gave me sure helped me sleep last night. Got a good 4 hours before I woke and moved to the recliner. Will know what is causing this arm & shoulder pain after they get the MRI done next week. I had hoped to be on chat last night but just didn't make it, propably wouldn't have been able to type the right letters!
I will be taking the grandaughter to soccer camp at 11. This will be my job everyday this week to play taxi driver for her. It was so much fun watching the little ones yesterday. Only about 3 of the kids have played before so trying to get about 20 5 yr olds going the right direction is a challenge for the instructor. The camp is sponsered by our high school team and they are there helping the little ones try to learn which way to go.
Todd, so wish I was going on the cruise with you. I have to wait until Jan. for mine. Hope you have a safe and wonderful trip. I can relate to the car issue. I too have one that is getting many miles on it but hate to do the payments again. I figure we will have to spring for a new car sometime in the near future but for now I am just watching prices.
Everyone have a great day and prayers are going out for all those in need.

Sue

Read and post cruise reviews
Old June 2nd, 2009, 07:36 AM
Admiral

Morning All, from Montreal, where it's not exactly as bright as Todd's morning.
Dull and wet is more like it, and cold too at only 10C (50F). Is it really June?
Which reminds me, Happy Birthday Ken!

Back to work yesterday was a bit of a shock to the system. Instead of someone preparing and serving me lunch, I was the one serving lunch to 8 rowdy 3 yr olds.
Instead of someone making my bed, I was the one making up 8 little mats for nap time.
Instead of enjoying a nap on the beach, I had to stay awake during nap time to make sure everyone was resting quietly.
Instead of putting on my bathing suit and sitting out by the pool, I had to put on a sweater and jacket and take the kids out to play.
But the hardest adjustment? The NOISE! Oh my, when you've been away from it for awhile, the sheer volume is unbearable! I keep telling them, "TALK! you don't have to SCREAM!!" As Trip would say, "OY!"

Well, it's back to reality and routine. I'm off early this morning for another blood test for Coumadin, then straight to work. Hopefully I will find time tonight to finally finish unpacking!

donna
Old June 2nd, 2009, 07:52 AM
First Mate

...and a great good Tuesday morning to all.....

We got back to Connecticut from Ogunqut yesterday at around 11:00 AM...and we will ba back there again in August for 3 days....hopefully the weather will be better....Sunday started off great, but by the time we got out of church at around noon, it was clouding up....we were lucky until we were about 3/4 of the way down Marginal Way toward Perkins Cove when it started to rain....the real concern was thunder....so we rushed to the Cove, went to a couple of shops (by this time it was raining fairly steady), then took the trolley back to the main village, stopped at one more store (called Spoiled Rotten - Lord knows we did need those soy candles), had a bite to eat, then went back to the hotel....changed and went to the indoor pool where we enjoyed the jacuzzi...then back to the room...we were asleep by 8:00....

....managed to plant some marigolds in a newly created mulch bed yesterday also...

Today is MIL day....she is in a rest home and has a dentist appointment which we will take her to....just easier that her waiting for a ride from the transport people....then there is the quarterly meeting at the rest home to discuss her care and see if there are any issues.....there are some with her room mate, and hopefully these can be taken care of.....then back to the condo to do who knows what....

Speaking of countdowns to cruises, 100 days from today, we will leave the condo to start our Trans Canal cruise aboard the Celebrity Infinity....the cruise is actually a couple of days later, but we always say the vacation starts when we leave the condo....a night at the airport, then board a Southwest flight to Fort Lauderdale, then a night at the Renaissance on 17th Street.....then boarding...can't wait...

Well, enough from the old guy in central Connecticut.....prayers and best wishes to all....

Sid1962
Old June 2nd, 2009, 08:01 AM
Admiral

Good Morning CruiseMates! Just want to say Happy Birthday Ken!!! Hope you all have a great day now that we have Monday out of the way. Well yesterday was a day well spent. Took myself and the kids to the dentist, we all walked out with healthy white sparkling smiles, and no cavities, and then we popped over to WalMart to buy a few odds and ends. After that we came home and ate lunch, then the kids went to the sitter for a couple of hours so I can get a little work done. Then picked them up to go to d/s's ball game. It was crazy as a severe storm passed just to the north of us, with lightening delaying the game for a bit. But it would appear that all of the teams hard work is paying off. The Bad News Bears are starting to really play ball as a team and win a couple of games. I love seeing the big happy grins on their faces when they get it right. So cute!
I really dislike the mean bullying kids though, the park was thick with them last night and so thankful my kids don't have to deal with them at school. I saw quite a few of them yesterday and when you see how they interact with their parents (those who even had parents with them), it is no wonder really. It is indeed learned behavior.
D/D has her game tonight, d/s has a game tomorrow, then d/d again on Thursday and nothing on Friday woohoo! I am just so happy they aren't playing on the same nights this week. I am far from a sports fanatic. Generally sitting through any sort of a game is sheer torture. However, I cannot express the all consuming emotion I am overcome with when I watch my kids play. Bizarre really.
I still have a little stone work to finish. Not sure if the weather will cooperate today though. It is foggy like pea soup. I am hoping that it will burn off so I can take the kids to the park for a bit. Not sure if the clouds ever let loose with rain after we went to bed. I did wake a few times to thunder and lightening. I hope it rained so I don't have to water the flowers.
Not much else on the go today. Hope you all have a lovely day!

Old June 2nd, 2009, 08:44 AM
Admiral

Good Morning Mates,

We are experiencing RD's weather...no summer climes in sight yet.

Glad yesterday is over - and now today will be paperwork catch up day - into the office for a brief visit, then home, to hopefully catch up on all I am behind on so I can spend on long day in office tomorrow and get my week finished - as Thursday I think I need to meet with a friend who is in town for only a couple of days, then Friday the long trek to and from the Medical Center.

The Magic Bullet - bit it last night - even tho' I have used it less then 10 times in the 3 years I have owned it. I have been using it to puree dh's food - so of course when you really need it, it fails you. As I live no where near a place to buy another we will have to come up with a plan b.

Sid - I have found lots of delectables I have absolutely needed in "Spoiled Rotten"!
I too am a big fan of Oqunquit - it isn't that far of a journey from Northern Vermont - so I have been able to enjoy it many times. I love that whole coastal area of Maine...walking thru the Rachel Carson Nature Reserve - is so peaceful and calm - a trip to York Beach to see my fave lighthouse - Nubble Light - on Cape Neddick! So pretty there. A visit to the Stonewall Kitchen flagship store ---the samples! the choices! I am a fan, for sure!
And the food choices!
My sister stays in Ogunquit two weeks every summer and a long weekend each fall. The whole family just gives her gift certificates to her favorite hotel there and for their fave eatery in Kennebunkport - can't recall the name, but I do recall the food - yum!

ToddDH - I have gotten to know 81 all too well in the last 6 years.

Hope you all have a lovely day.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 08:48 AM
Admiral

Jen, not sure if you have a CVS pharmacy close to you or not, but I bought a blender at the one near us. Just a thought, if you have one, you might call and see if they have any in stock.

Old June 2nd, 2009, 11:07 AM
Admiral

Morning from the Pacific Northwest............sun is shinning....80's for today......no rain in sight....all is good.......

Ken.........happy B-day!!!! many more!!!

Sun is suppose to be around for the next 2 weeks at least.......I can handle that.......

I'm sure the cruises leaving last weekend & this had GREAT sail-a-ways!!!

Y'all have a good day...........

Sharon
Old June 2nd, 2009, 12:09 PM
Admiral

Default A Bright Tuesday

What an appropriate subject title for the morning thread today! We finally have sun here in Southern California!

Happy birthday, Ken!

I plan to knaw some more on my "to do" list. Probably lunch at the local Mexican restaurant later.

Have a good day.

Judy
Old June 2nd, 2009, 12:20 PM
Admiral

Good afternoon from very hot, in the mid 80's, Virginia Beach. I woke up early and headed straight to the gym. I have brought my glucose level down by fifteen points so I am extremely motivated to get out there and exercize! Anyone that is in there 60's, like I am, shoud make a point of exercizing as glucose levels tend to rise with age. I am in for the day until I have to go to work later in the afternoon. Right now I am catching up on washing and ironing and will prepare something that is cold for dinner. Gosh, this spring has gone by all too fast. I am looking forward to father's weekend when the annual Virginia Beach Boardwalk Art Show is at the oceanfront. For all my fellow cruisemates, who love art, I would suggest that you go; it is something that shouldn't be missed! Have a beautiful day and for those on a cruise, may you have smooth sailing.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 03:45 PM
Admiral

A GREAT BIG THANK YOU to all my "Mates" for the well wishes on my birthday. I truly appreciate it.
Not much new around here. Think I'll take the lovely Mrs. Jones (Vita) over to Red Lobster for dinner tonight, as that's one of my favorite places. (Love those cheese biscuits) Had to get up bright and early this morning and run to Tampa for some work, so got home early this afternoon. Actually, I'm having a really nice day, thanks to all of you, and your kind thoughts.

See y'all aboard,

Ken
"SKY"