Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 12th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Gimme a break!

When I was a kid, my Mother, and every other woman in the neighborhood, used to hang their clothes out to dry. My Mother took such pride in her clothesline which was an umbrella style, and it needed to have taut lines! Everyonce in a while, she would wet the ropes, and reknot them to get them super taut again....If she saw this video, I just know, she would be shaking her head, as I was, as I watched this segment, from Sunday Morning.....all I can say is, gimme a break, that lady complaining, made me go grrrr

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?...UpperPromoArea

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old July 12th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Admiral

I support the right to dry.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old July 12th, 2009, 10:28 PM
Admiral

I had to laugh a little at the lady who was so riled up about her neighbor hanging clothes out to dry. I think you would need a tractor to drag a needle from her behind, but on the other hand people really need to decide whether they want to submit themselves to the will of a Homeowners association when purchasing a home. I really get frustrated with how fussy folks can get about stuff like this, but to be fair there are times when I can certainly understand the need for certain guidelines when dealing with people who don't use their head for anything other than a hat rack. Case in point, we live in a very nice neighborhood full of nice well kept homes and for the most part very wonderful, considerate, caring families. But there always has to be one trouble maker. While we are surrounded by farmland, Our homes are on acre lots and not intended for agricultural use. Unfortunately our socially challenged neighbors (the same ones who let their dogs run lose and get into everyone's trash and poop all over the place, and allow their unfixed cat to go squirting all over the place trolling for girls) thought they could make a fortune by selling fresh brown eggs. So they bought a gaggle of chickens which we hear crowing every morning at the crack of dawn. They also think it's a great idea to let them out of their pen and roam the neighborhood. I don't want to deal with their dogs or chickens. They are selfish and see no ones issues but their own. There is no compromise, no discussion with them,
In the case of the laundry ladies, I feel that the homeowner and homeowner's association ought to at least try to find a compromise. A middle ground in everyone's best interest, such as putting up a decorative privacy fence to obscure the view of the clothesline. Quite frankly, I love all my neighbors on my end of the lane and I wouldn't really be comfortable exposing them to certain articles of clothing and tidy whiteys and have them out hanging in open view. Life is really too short to get your knickers in a twist over your neighbors clothesline.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old July 12th, 2009, 10:31 PM
Admiral

In fact, in Ontario, they have put in legislation that over rides condo rules, HOA's rules and so on banning hanging out the laundry. They have done this because there is a serious shortage of power at times, and now Hydro 1 actually have commercials encouraging hanging out the wash to save on power.

I have ALWAYS hung out my wash, and if people don't like seeing my undies, to darn bad, at least I wear them!

Quebec is looking to do the same and I have noticed more and more people hanging out there wash. I never understaod why people take such offence to wash, we all have it, and to me it just some how looks nice, like home.

I rarely use a dryer, and am proud of it!
Old July 13th, 2009, 06:25 AM
Admiral

If everyone who possibly can hang their Laundry outdoors, did so, it certainly would save a lot of energy. And I might add, that's one thing we need to do in the US is to reduce our energy needs.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old July 13th, 2009, 07:16 AM
Admiral

You'uns who cain't hang out your's laundry should come down here to the mountains of upper East Tennessee. Not only can you hang out the undies, but you'uns can also put a sofa and an overstuffed chair on yer front perch!

Todd
Old July 13th, 2009, 07:41 AM
Admiral

Well - you see I live in the progressive state that is trying to fight for people's Right to Dry.
Until we put in the pool I had a clothesline - the type described by Trip - the small short sections were perfect to discreetly dry the under garments whil the longer planes held bigger items. I miss my clothesline immensely and still look for a way to figure out how to get on back on my property.
Just spent a few days in New Brunswick, Canada - everyone - had a clothesline and they all were in use. Loved it. It speaks of simplier times.
With everyone in such economic straits, how can you resonably deny a person a way to save money and the environment all at once.
Life is short, we need to look for ways to encourage one another, help one another, not just pick fights - makes you almost embarrassed to be human at times.
As far as out of control animals, that is different - they can cause damage- I don't think my hanging clothes really does bodily or property harm three doors down, unless it obscures a view of an intersection.

I will step down off my soapbox now, and go do some laundry. I will hang it on the two sets of bars I now keep in the laundry room - it works, but is not as nice as outdoor dried.
Old July 13th, 2009, 07:45 AM
Admiral

I agree I think it would be great during the warm weather months to use mother nature to dry your clothes,

I remember as a kid going to visit my Grandma, who had an old wringer washer. She had a way of washing sheets that left them very crisp and they smelled so good. I have no idea what she added to the rinse water, but the icing on the cake was when she would dry them outside on the line. I just can't describe the texture and fragrance. She would sometimes hang them out even in the winter.

I do have a clothesline here at our house, but generally only use it to hang out large bulky items like comforters. ince I got my new washer, the clothes come out pretty close to dry so it doesn't take long to finish the job in the dryer. But I may go ahead and start drying a few more items since I could probably get things done a bit quicker and shoot I may save a few dollars which can go into my cruise fund. I figure if I am willing to lug 60-80 pounds of corn a day all winter long to heat this house, I can carry a laundry basket out to the line. But I am not hanging underpants out. It's just one of my weird things... I doubt my neighbors would even notice or care.
Speaking of which it is July already. I need to make some plans for keeping the house warm this winter. But we've gone from using over 2000 gallons of propane to less than 100 gallons probably closer to 50, due to the corn burner.

I think its kind of sad, the whole situation with this lady, her clothesline, and the homeowners association. They all feel entitled to impose their will on one another and fight it tooth and nail through our court systems, rather than trying to work it out with reason and compromise. A garage with a privacy screen enclosure would be a fine place to hang clothes up to dry or a backyard with a decorative privacy fence blocking the line from view.
They're all wrong in my opinion.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old July 13th, 2009, 07:56 AM
Admiral

BW, I too have a clothesline, one line from tree to porch, where I hang the bulky stuff too.....oddly, my Mother chose to send the sheets to the laundry, they came back wrapped in brown wrapper paper,[odd what I remember,] and when she made the beds, you could bounce a quarter off them.....I used to slide into them like an envlope I was tucked in so tight

Old July 13th, 2009, 09:25 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I can see both sides of the coin. A resident should be allowed to have a clothes line and be allowed to hang clothes out to dry but I can see where it could get out of control and give the neighborhood a cluttered look. Just put the darn thing in the backyard and keep the "curb appeal" of the homes intact.

I hate "Homeowners Associations" but, like BW, I understand the need for some rules. There are always those who think they can do whatever they want and put junk cars on the front yard or never paint their house.

When I lived in Alabama the covenants stated that the garage door of a home could not face the street and the garage windows must have curtains. I could never understand that one but I went ahead and put the $5.95 K-Mart curtains in the windows.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 13th, 2009, 09:52 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I agree, what is the big deal with clothes hanging, a great energy saver if you hav the time. I too remember my mom hanging the bulky clothes out. I have a neighbor that still uses one sometimes, doesn't bother me in the least.

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 13th, 2009, 10:02 AM
Cruise Maniac

I remember the days when there were no dryers. Growing up in a large apartment building my mother would hang the laundry on the roof. Yes, you went up to the roof (which was burning hot at it had tar on it), and you would string your heavy duty clothes line, with an "S" hook on each end, to metal posts with holes in them to hold the hook. You did this from spring to winter, when the clothing would freeze. During summers spent with my grandmother in Pennsylvania, she would wash clothes only on Monday, with a Maytag wringer washer, and hang everything outside. The clothesline was attached to the back porch and a tree. When she hung the laundry to dry, I remember her using a long piece of wood with a slot on the end and she would use this to hoist up the wet clothes so they hung high up in the air. How times have changed. I still hang a few things on my umbrella-style outdoor dryer when they need to drip dry. I am the only one in my area to have a line in their backyard.

Leyla from Long island
Old July 13th, 2009, 10:03 AM
Admiral

I have never used a clothesline and my neighbors don't either. I employ a live and let live policy with my neighbors. I don't bother them they don't bother me. I wave at them sometimes when I'm driving. But that's about it. It may seem unfriendly, but I witnessed a neighbor war. It was not pretty, people were arrested, petitions were signed, and property damaged. I wasn't one of the neighbors involved. But I learned to leave the neighbors alone. My neighbor would have to do a lot more then hang laundry to get my goat.

Beenie Weenie cats hate oranges, if you put orange peel around your house it will repel the cats. I hate when people let their animals run the neighborhood. I have two cats and two dogs. The cats have the screened in patio outside they can't get out of the area (complete with ramps and litterboxes). My dogs are never let outside the backyard without be on a leash. My brother is afraid of dogs off leash, so it ticks me off when dogs are running around off leash.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 13th, 2009, 02:37 PM
Admiral

Having been a President of a Condominium when we lived in New York I think I am qualified to chime in on a more serious vane.

Virtually all of the opinions above are based upon one common thread, common sense. Were it to be so wonderful if folks involved in such situations would sit down and negotiate an agreement all could live with.

Some say condo rules (and thereby homeowners association rules as well) are inviolate. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Most Condo Associations have in their rules that a for sale sign cannot be displayed in any window of a condo. Problem is, the rule is unconstitutional, yet few know that. Yes a condominium association can set the size, etc. for such a sign (as long as such limits are reaonable (reasonable being legally defined as what the average thinking adult would do in like or similar circumstances) but it cannot forbid you from posting one.

I had a dream Board of Directors for when what most would consider "iffy" situations arose, we would all sit down together and find a solution with which everyone could live. I do not remember us failing to accomplish that.

Nevertheless, rules of any Homeowner's Association are made for the benefit of that particular community and when someone buys into same, you'd best know and agree with those rules and even give them some thought as regards future possible ramifications. It's the same as caveat emptor. Don't come back and complain a year later when you wish to do something that vilolates the rules. A perfect example is the one that I only half jokingly described as overstuffed furniture on a front porch. It does happen and it can happen in a beautiful neighborhood.

Isn't it a shame though, that a consensus such as that we have apparently reached, can't be achieved by the folks involved in the CBS tape? Actually, all concerned should be embarrassed. But then again, even that hardly happens anymore, doesn't it?

Todd
Old July 13th, 2009, 03:55 PM
Admiral

The friends we visited yesterday, live in a gated community, down the Cape, and there are far and few of those here, and no one I know, lives with hoa rules anywhere here, ungated.

Alan is on the advisory board of the association, and the stories he tells would make your head spin.....one he mentioned was, in the game room, some people when using the card shuffler, made too much noise..,and if you want to plant flowers, better call in the state police....OY!

Old July 13th, 2009, 07:14 PM
Admiral

I am an officer on the board of administrators in a very large ( almost 500) condominium complex of town houses with three condo apartment buildings as well. I make decisions daily , and the one rule I use is that yes we must follow our charter, but we must also have common sence. Unfortunately most people who buy a condo home dont read the charter before they buy. This is a serious issue. As for wash, I did sent a letter to the person who was stringing ropes from the patio onto common ground hanging wash from tree branches etc. It infringed on others space, however, at the same time, I made several suggestions on how to hang wash out, on her property that would not violate rules or personal space.

Most conflicts can always be solved if one tries. I do laugh when people ban wash altogether, and as I mentioned, Ontario has actually made a law making it illegal to forbid hanging out the wash, and in fact they encourage it for the sake of saving energy. This thing about not liking to look at wash just makes me laugh. Dryers chew up an enourmous amount in electricity and we need to conserve energy for things and times we really need it. Not to mention,everything smells so good when they hang out to dry! For me it is part of my routine to hanfg the wash, and it takes me almost no time to do it. I even hang wash inside my house in the winter time. I just dont like what the dryer does to many of my things. It's not that I never use a dryer, in the winter I do use it for a load or two a week out of about eight to ten that I do weekly on a normal week.
Old July 14th, 2009, 02:34 AM
Banned
Captain

I think this thread indirectly involves a subtle class issue. used to be Clotheslines=ghetto. but now the so-called "ghetto" is movin' on up. The middle class increasingly cannot afford to run the dryer also.... but please exclude the green people from this equation. They should be running the dryer off solar power cells (lots of 'em). Which brings up the aesthetic aspect of banks of solar cells on the roof - some bugger is bound to complain. Who knew?

I am always amazed at the need of people, particularly though not exclusively in the US of A, to do the following:
1) make (through various forms of legislation) people conform to their particular standards, mores and beliefs
2) desire to be surrounded by only those of like mind
3) feel the need to either insult, demean or discredit in any way possible those who are not of like mind

This statement does not apply as a global standard, but applies to enough people to make it interesting. Why can't people just mind their own business?