Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 20th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Admiral

Default High Time Govt Makes Sailboats Safer!

It's long past time the Congress addresses the issue of safety on sailboats. This astronomical rate of loss involving sailboaters must be addressed!

I am starting the International Sailboat Victims association to force Congress to mandate the following changes on all sailboats regardless of size:

1. All sailboats must have a solid deck to top railing all the way round of a minimum of 72 inches in height to prevent falling overboard.

2. The FBI be mandated to investigate all claims of injury or assault that occur aboard a sailboat even if such claims are not supported by any evidence whatsoever.

3. All alcoholic beverages to be banned from all sailboats.

4. That all sailboats, regardless of size, be required to be equipped with a lifeboat large enough to hold 24 persons, such lifeboat of which meets all SOLAS requirements.

It is obviously statistically much safer for the average American to live on the Pakistani/Afghanistan border as it is to sail aboard a sailboat! It's high time something is done about this horrific situation and done RIGHT NOW!

I am going to attempt to enlist the support of Senator John Kerry and Congresswoman Doris Matsui as well as Tort attorneys specializing in sailboats in this effort. Please join our group!

Todd
Sponsored Links
Old July 20th, 2009, 10:04 AM
Admiral

Read and post cruise reviews
Old July 20th, 2009, 10:12 AM
Banned
Captain

Don't forget: All sailboats must be quarantined for a minimum of 72 hours should any passenger exhibit signs of a runny nose. The CDC must be notified as well, and a team dispatched immediately to investigate. The sailboat must consequently be disinfected from stem to stern before being cleared to proceed. Finally, the Media should be alerted immediately, in order to perform their due dilligence.
Old July 20th, 2009, 01:21 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Did you know there has been a rash of sexual assaults at water parks in Florida this summer? There have been five in just the last two months.

International Water Parks Victims Assn. - anyone?

I really hate to make light of a serious issue, but the ICV thing is really out of hand right now. The man who started that organization is now taking credit for changing something that wasn't broken.

And I hate to say this, but his own personal story has changed over the years to suit his needs. It is sad to see a vendetta go so far and no one in the media or gov't even think twice to question his veracity.
Old July 20th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Admiral

Todd my friend, you have way too much time on your hands...how were the ribs yesterday
Old July 20th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Admiral

Venice,

Smokin`,baby....SMOKIN`!

Todd
Old July 20th, 2009, 10:22 PM
Admiral

Call me blond but I dont get the humour in this post. Maybe I am missing something. As some one who grew up on sail boats, I have seen alot of reckless behaviour on a boat, including drinking way to much, not have the proper safety equipment, life jackets, a dingy of any kind etc. Not having the proper safety railings, letting young children run up and down the boat with no safety vest, and worst of all, having some one at the helm who thinks they are a boater and they are far from. As children, my parents forced all three of us to take sailing lessons, as they wanted us to be safe and to have a respect for a boat and the water. It was also alot of fun and we learned alot. As a nurse I have seen people come in , having drowned, either dead or very severely injured. Alcohol has most often played a significant role. I am not sure why the post was posted, Todd I really don't get it. Did the senator state these things? Maybe if this is a serious post, it would help those like myself to give the whole background from a factual point of view. JMHO.
Old July 20th, 2009, 10:58 PM
Admiral

Delft,
I grew up on boats too and no doubt what you're saying is correct. However, I totally understood Todd's post as a tongue in cheek commentary on the fact that many people feel the American Government is sticking it's nose in places it has no business.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old July 21st, 2009, 12:51 AM
Admiral

When the Gov. gets through legislating all the changes to be made on cruiseships and the sailboats mentioned by Todd, I'm sure they will immediately be after canoes,kayaks, John boats and inner tubes, etc.

Accordingly I'm going to sell my 12 ft. boat and not have to worry about the FBI coming around while I'm out in the pond fishing--never can tell-- I could be out there breaking some new law--just not worth the chance.
Old July 21st, 2009, 01:03 AM
Banned
Captain

I think the original post was quite effective: Isn't our society, and as a microcosm, this BB, riddled with unnecessary complainers? I guess the antidote to ignorance is complaint. It's not right, but gets the desired result.
Old July 21st, 2009, 05:34 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Todd's post was a parody on the current road the gov't is on to imposing tougher saftey regs on cruise ships.

nothing more.
Old July 21st, 2009, 08:03 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki
Todd's post was a parody on the current road the gov't is on to imposing tougher saftey regs on cruise ships.

nothing more.
OK I get that now as others have said this is what it is, but to many people, they would not know this, just as I did not get it either, hense some where in the origional post, it should have stated this to avoid confussion.

Glad to see the several contentious posts deleted, as I saw a huge arguement breweing of a political nature but not sure why my second one was deleted as I did not state anything political , although I realize it was sandwiched inbetween ones that were "charged". nice to see you Kuki, where have you been? Hope all is well.
Old July 21st, 2009, 10:41 PM
Admiral

Todd, your post was indeed funny. It's a sad day when people can't even make a simple joke about something.
Oh, I sold my 12 ft. boat and inner tubes today!!

Hint--- to all who couldn't, wouldn't or didn't get it-- Todd's post was a joke--you know --humor.
Old July 22nd, 2009, 04:32 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron
Todd, your post was indeed funny. It's a sad day when people can't even make a simple joke about something.

Hint--- to all who couldn't, wouldn't or didn't get it-- Todd's post was a joke--you know --humor.
Fair enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddDH
The FBI be mandated to investigate all claims of injury or assault that occur aboard a sailboat even if such claims are not supported by any evidence whatsoever.
This is a pretty clear poke at the recent Elation murder, but I don't get
the humor/sarcasm intended. Or is there a history of the FBI abusing its
investigative powers on the high seas?

Cheers, Aidan
Old July 22nd, 2009, 04:49 AM
Admiral

AAiden...well you have to admit, doesn't it seem ironic that the FBI can get 20 agents on the scene in that short of period of time
Old July 22nd, 2009, 08:09 AM
Admiral

Aidan,

At the time I wrote my post, the Elation homicide was probably the last thing on my mind. What was on my mind was a little humor with which the overwhelming number of those who have posted on this thread understand and appreciate as such.

I totally respect and understand how some folks would not find humorous what I may, just as there are those who may not find humorous the sarcasm that is practiced weekly on Saturday Night Live and which is also the same basis for the humor of America's most beloved humorist, Will Rogers. I must confess that I often do find the aforementioned funny though I may not agree with the basis for the humor. Possibly many of those who watch Saturday Night Live and love the humor of Will Rogers, obviously also find humor and logic in some situations that some may not construe as being politically correct.

Todd
Old July 22nd, 2009, 10:48 AM
Admiral

Ah Todd my friend you have confused a lot of people. But you made me laugh and that is what's important.

However, I have read S. 588 and HR 1485 the Federal bills authored by John Kerry and Doris Matsui so I understand your post. These bills were sponsered by the International Cruise Victims Association (ICV).

For everyone else Todd's original post has the aspects of these bills requirements in them. Instead of applying the requirements to the cruise industry, he has applied them to the sail boat industry. But Todd you missed by favorite part of the bill.

The vessel shall integrate technology that can be used for detecting passengers who have fallen overboard, to the extent that such technology is available. I wonder what technology this would be?

Here is a link to S. 588 the bill authored by John F. Kerry, the quote above comes from section 3. enjoy! http://www.thomas.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c111:S.588:

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 22nd, 2009, 11:14 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron

Fair enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddDH
The FBI be mandated to investigate all claims of injury or assault that occur aboard a sailboat even if such claims are not supported by any evidence whatsoever.
This is a pretty clear poke at the recent Elation murder, but I don't get
the humor/sarcasm intended. Or is there a history of the FBI abusing its
investigative powers on the high seas?

Cheers, Aidan
Nope Aidan his reference above has nothing at all to do with the Elation murder. The line you read was from one of the verison of the federal bills that deal with "cruise ship safety." Todd didn't pull these words at random. Their have been a quite a few federal and state bills about this.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 22nd, 2009, 12:50 PM
Admiral

I think that we need to remember that it is not only Americans reading on this site. Therefore, while you may recognize it as a joke, because you know about the various political things in your country, and the bills being proposed and by whom, that those in America, and some true outside of America may get the joke but not every one will because they dont have the day to day political information of what is going on with regard to all political issues in the States. When we post, we post for the world, and since I don't live in America, I did not understand it, and still feel some where there should have been a foatnote at the end to inform people it was a joke and why so that others can understand the contest of what was written. I have known enough wierdos in my time and heard enough statements like this that frankly it may very well not have been a jokehad it come out of the mouths of some. While "overwhelmingly" numbers of people understoad it( only three posted before me) , many may not have and simply didnt post or comment on the origional post. The other option is to place a post like this in the people jokes section and then every one will know it is a joke with sarcastic twist. Thats JMHO.
Old July 22nd, 2009, 03:23 PM
Admiral

that's a fair point..I usually use one of the emoticons symbols as a universal "hint"
Old July 22nd, 2009, 04:48 PM
Admiral

I don't want to speak for Todd. But I will. This legislation was regarding cruise lines and cruise line legislation that has been discussed on this site several times. So maybe that was why he felt it was okay to put it on here. Also If you take a cruise out of the USA and these Federal laws if passed it would impact you. So really Todd's post helps you.

What I mean is you didn't understand the post so you requested explaination. The explaination I provided included a link to a bill that if it passed; in opinion cruise fares would increase. This would happen because the cruise lines would have to modify their ship to cruise out of Florida, Hawaii, California, Lousiana, New York or any other US State. The world is a smaller place that it use to be. What Canada does impacts the USA and vice a versa.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 22nd, 2009, 09:25 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to JamesRT Send a message via MSN to JamesRT Send a message via Yahoo to JamesRT

Enjoyed the post myself.
Old July 22nd, 2009, 09:30 PM
Banned
Captain

It seems we now need "Seriousness Police" here as well. Geez.