Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 29th, 2009, 12:13 PM
Admiral

Default SENATOR TED KENNEDY

Don 't know if this is as proper place. but a great man admired by Republicans and Democrats is being buried today.. Does it matter thaat over 50,000 people lined up at the JFK Library to pay their respects.. It is a funeral attended from an actor, musician, opera singer, and just plain folks are among the 1500 paying tribute to him.. What is coming to the forfront are the stories of his hellping the "little people"..readijng th 4th graders every Wednesday, his dedication to being the father to his late brothers children.. A man whose religion was so strong that he p rayed daily at a little known church in the poorest section of Boston..for his daughters battle with cancer, his sons battle with cancer which they won... and for his battle.. which he lost. Rest In Peace Teddy.. the rest of the world will soon know of the good you have done.
Sponsored Links
Old August 29th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

Well said. Amen
Old August 29th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Thank you Parrot Mom for posting that. I have been weeping over his death. Senator Kennedy will be missed. He did so much for the people of my home state of Massachusetts and for the nation. Rest in peace Senator Kennedy.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old August 29th, 2009, 02:38 PM
Admiral

Default IN THE RAIN

Laura.. if you know Route 128...imagine it right now.. pouring and heavy rain...cars parked on ROUTE 128 and hundreds of people in the pouring rain hoping to catch a last glimpse, standing there for hours waiting... all ages.. The nation may not understand, but if you have somebody handicapped, mentally ill, need help in anyway.. Ted Kennedy was there.. we are just hearing of his works that have never been known..or acknowledged.. We have never seen anything like it.. nor will we. His sons gave such an insight into their father,,there can't be a dry eye here in MA
Old August 29th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I also believe Senator Kennedy will be missed. I come from the state of McCain - another old school senator known for being able to compromise when needed. Somehow that spirit of people working togther has disappeared from the congress with the new generation. They are so polarized it is insane.

I have never seen this country so intolernt of opposing political views as it is now. It used to be, "I may not agree with but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Now it is, "If I don't agree with you I will defend to the death my right to say so, as nauseum, and call you names that have nothing to do with your point of view, like nazi, liar, neanderthal, hitler, unevolved, selfish, stupid and [worse]"...

I personally have my points of view (and they are some left and some right) - and anyone who thinks of "party over philosophy" is just being disingenuous in my book. If anyone ever says to me "you are not being a good "democrat" or "republican" all I can think of to say is "so what?" Just because one party may hold the majority of views you believe in, does that mean you have to agree with everything in their platform? no.

All of the Kennedy's were great Americans who fought for important things. His kind will be missed by both sides of the aisle.
Old August 29th, 2009, 04:18 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Parrot Mom, I do know 128, I was born and raised in Melrose. I can well imagine the scene there today. I well know that the Kennedy's, were deeply involved with developmental disabilitues. I too was involved in the 60's when my brother was alive, he was down Syndrome. We were involved in Eastern Massachussetts Association for Retarded Children (EMARC) Today I work with the developmentally disabled. I did this work both in NH whenI lived there and now in Florida. You have probably seen my "Patty" stories in this forum. A few of the people here have even met Miss Patty. She was a retarded lady that lived with me in NH. She was placed with me through a program called Family Share. It is actually adult foster care. She became part of the family and went with me everywhere. I even took her on a CruiseMates group cruise. I use Patty stories in this forum and my own forum sometimes. She was a funny character and I love her a lot. She now lives with another family in Laconia, NH. I talk to her frequently.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old August 29th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Admiral

"Too whom much is given..much is expected" IMHO fits this situation when you look at a person's total body of work

public service to one's country, to one's fellow citizens who are less fortunate use to be an honor and elected office use to come with the responsiblity of maintaining the "public trust"...our elected leaders were entrusted to looking out for the good of the country and not of their party and great statesmen understood that and reached across party lines to ensure that it happen...people of great financial means understood it was a blessing to be rich, but there also came a duty

i cannot imagine having to live one's life in the public arena, to have all of one's shortcomings and failures be on constant display..today we buried a man who tried to bring some sort of honor to public service..of course it helped that he married a Louisiana girl in the later part of his life that brought him much needed stability

and Paul, I agree with you about McCain...I think we will see even a greater chapter in his public life in the next few years to help try to heal this our Country
Old August 29th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Admiral

Default POLITICS

As another Senator from MA. said.."all politics is local".. Senator McCain spoke so eloquently last night about his friend Ted..he was not ashamed to wipe his tears away when he finished.. His children may not be in the public eye, but when I hear of their quiet public service...and even We MA citizens never realized how wide spread the Special Olympics had become under Eunice Kennedy at least I didn't...all because of their sister. Rosemary.. Venice.. it is so true...they gave so much, two their lives and the children are given to public service... Just saw a re-run of a song (Andrew Lloyd Webber) about love conquering all sung last night that I didnt hear originally by an ex-staffer, a song of love to his beloved Vicky...that just did it for me.. Kennedy, a Democrat..knew how to get along with Republicans...I only hope that the rest of Congress can reach across... and whether they are a Republican or Democrat can learn
to work together for the good of the American people. Oh yes.. if you have a son or daughter in Iraq thanks to Kennedy to opposed the war he made sure they had proper armored vehicles after meeting a father at Arlington when he told Kennedy the story of his sons death.. I can tell you that when I have sent out a few items about Senator Kennedy.. a few vile vitriolic e-mails I've gotten back have shocked me..
Old August 29th, 2009, 05:35 PM
Admiral

one of the really neat aspects of cruising that I enjoy is that you meet people from all across the world with different perspectives on issues, yet you can have a really engaging discussion over a DOTD or at dinner with with the conclusion to agree to disagree

my most favorite cruising discussion was in Venice with a couple that were in their 80's from South Africa, right after Mandela was released from prison..they grew up in Germany during the 30's, one was Catholic and the other Jewish and had lived in South Africa for 30 years as teachers under aparthied form of government..needless to say it was a lively discussion but we both learned so much

why can't we all just get along, like we do on these boards...fyi IMHO, the greatest legacy of the Kenndy family is their positive impact on how citizens with intellectual disabilities are viewed..Senator Kennedy never missed a Special Olympics World Games and he loved giving out medals

Parrot Mom..don't let a few small minded negative folks discourage your postive outlook about people
Old August 29th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Admiral

Default SPECIAL OLYMPICS

Lets hope that someday.. the world "liberal" or "conservative" will not be dirty words.. One thing about cruising and the internet... you meet people from all walks of live and countries..and if your open minded enough.. you can learn soo much..When think of the young developmentally disabled people, old and young who have an opportunity to learn, work and have a life outside of institutions..Thanks Kennedy family
Old August 29th, 2009, 08:37 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I just finished watching the services for Sen. Kennedy. It was very tastefully done.

I to would like to thank him for all that he did for this country. Very few of you have not benefited from his hard work, to make things better for us.

I can't help but smile, when I think of the celebration going on in Heaven, with all of these loved ones, finally at the same table. Only one chair is vacant, but that will be for Jean.

Thank You Sen. Kennedy You did well.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old August 29th, 2009, 08:41 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

It will be hard for our state to be without a Kennedy at the helm...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old August 29th, 2009, 08:41 PM
Admiral

There have and will again be, noble individuals who through politics support the public good. Ted Kennedy undoubtedly was a believer in that noble goal.

But I have to tell you a story. When I was a youngster, I used to watch an old, humpbacked woman whom I swear, in we childrens' eyes truly looked like "The Wicked Witch" and could literally barely see over her steering wheel, drive through town. Her name was Miss Elsie and Miss Elsie devoted her life to those less fortunate to a degree in all probability not just equal but to a far greater extent in relativity, than any elected official or gentried individual ever did. The problem is, she didn't have the "Bully Pulpit" nor was she a person of extraordinary wealth or prestige. She didn't live in a mansion, she wasn't feted at formal dinners. In fact, I'd be shocked if Elsie ever wore a gown in her entire life.

All Elsie did was not only devote her entire life (and I mean ENTIRE LIFE --no European vacations, no evenings at the theater, no dining in fine restaurants and certainly no periodic jetsetting around the world) toward helping those less fortunate. It made no difference what color they were, what social embarrasments in which they may have been involved, etc. In short, Elsie helped even those that so often are frequently avoided by sadly, even those institutions we look to be the bulwarks of our beliefs. Elsie Gass was the closest person to Mother Theresa that I'll ever know.

Know someting? There are such invisible people in most communities. But sadly, invisible they'll remain. You won't find statues of them. You won't find bridges, airports, military bases, courthouses and libraries named after them. And you often won't find military honor guards at their funerals. In many communities, truth be told you'll be hard pressed even to find their names.

By all means let us honor the mighty who have worked on our behalf. But let us also pledge to do more to recognize the Miss Elsie's within our own individual communities.

Todd
Old August 29th, 2009, 09:32 PM
Admiral

Default McCain

Paul....do you know he was the "wing man" for the famous Red Sox star, Ted Williams...yes he was and as Ted used to say.. "he saved his ass". ToddDH....yes, in this world are people like Elsie. I don't consider myself the most religious person, but I there is a place in Heaven for people like her..Just recently I've met a woman who rescues parrots... she lives in an old ramshackle house (I've been there), takes in birds that have been abused for years..every inch of this womans house, is filled with birds...every inch.. upstairs and down.. She barely has $$ for her own food, none or little for medical care which she needs.. yet..her love of these animals. she feeds, cleans up after them and each and every cage and each and every bird is well looked after.She looks like she is 80 years old... she isn't.. far from it..There are many people in this world the same as Elsie and Ellen (her real name)..We just heard about a man who befriended a homeless man on our Boston Common.. gave him a book, somehow or other he knew others that wanted to read but were homeless..this man found a way to get this first man an apartment, a reading group of homeless was founded... Sadly, just within weeks ago the man has died..WE ARE THE LUCKY ONES.. the ones that cruise, the ones that have homes, the ones who can afford to have medical treatment. Just the fact that we have telephones, in our homes.. electricity, running water..Yes, we owe to our fellow man...not to have to stand in the cold for hours for a free dentist or mammogram or chest xray for our children. Many years ago I worked with a woman with two sons...she had a good job.. but just didn't make enough for health insurance... she was one of more than 30 years ago.. the "working poor".. No, t his is not what you think it is.. but we all.. owe to our fellow man.. to do something to help out.. whether setting up or working at a soup kitchen.. volunteering to help a senior citizen..mow a lawn, shovel the snow, volunteer to read like Kennedy did...without publicity at a local school. One of the churches locally has set up a group.. who go out and do errands on the weekends and fixing things for seniors..
We all talk a good game...about helping our fellow man.. If we each do one thing..we can go about changing not the world.. but bettering somebodies life. Sorry, didn't mean to sermonize.
Old August 29th, 2009, 09:48 PM
Admiral

Default MASS. WITHOUT A KENNEDY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip
It will be hard for our state to be without a Kennedy at the helm...
Do you think the rest of the country understands that for probably all your life there has been a kennedy representing the State of MA? If you wathed the coverage on tv since his death until moments ago.. you saw the respect that the public here has for him...the huge staff on the steps of the Capitol who did all the work who helped make his reputation and the obvious love and respect they showed him and his family tonight. I don't know..but anybody who could get Yo Yo Ma, Placido Domingo, Presidents Bush, Clinton, Carter, Mrs. Clinton, jack Nicholson, Lauren Bacall, Republican counterparts and many, many more..he was a friend to everybody. As they said.. it was never about him... it was about you...
Old August 29th, 2009, 09:54 PM
Admiral

Parrot Mom,

You make it sound like Mass isn't part of the US.

We knew they were there.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old August 29th, 2009, 10:00 PM
Admiral

Default Telecast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo
Parrot Mom,

You make it sound like Mass isn't part of the US.

We knew they were there.
Sorry.. didn't know how much national tv was covering.. Since the evening he died, the next day there was wall to wall to wall coverage...here so we had no idea what the rest of the country was getting..Believe it or not I've only been to the JFK Library once...it faces the area where I grew up in South Boston... we must go back.. on a fall fall day..soon..
Old August 30th, 2009, 04:24 AM
Admiral

Luanne...I knew MA was a part of the US but did not know that TX was also
Old August 30th, 2009, 10:11 AM
Admiral

I think the biggest takeaway from the life of Ted Kennedy is that we aLLmake mistakes in our lives. And that in most cases those mistakes can, if reflected upon and internalized, lead us to a higher place and in some cases greatness. Second chances are important in a society where most people are imperfect. Ted Kennedy grew to a place where he cared about the "common good" of all people more then he cared about his own success. This ironically lead him to a greatness rarely seen in politics today.
Old August 30th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice
Luanne...I knew MA was a part of the US but did not know that TX was also
Acording to this morning local news, it might not be much longer.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old August 30th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Admiral

Default TEXAS

Puerto Rico thought so too but had second thoughts.. Didn't think there were many if any Democrats in Texas.. Sorry,but a senior moment is hitting me.. I admited greatly Barbara Jackson. (?) who has since passed and spoke at the Democratic Convention..lol
Old August 30th, 2009, 01:05 PM
Admiral

Luanne..what did I miss this morning
Old August 30th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Admiral

It says on the news(local) that a group of people met at the capital yesterday, to discuss separating the state from the rest of the others.

PM There are many democrats in Texas. Unlike some states who are predominately,one party, we have both, and both are very strong.

I loved it when the discussion was going on about who would replace Teddy. It seems they are trying to get someone to agree to fill his seat, long enough for a Kennedy to take their place.

We do things a little differently down here. People run, and get elected by the majority of the vote.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old August 30th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Admiral

well in Louisiana, we do our political elections alittle bit different also

so, if Texas leave the Union does that mean you'll get lots of foreign aid from Washington
Old August 30th, 2009, 01:58 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice
well in Louisiana, we do our political elections alittle bit different also

so, if Texas leave the Union does that mean you'll get lots of foreign aid from Washington
That's a good question.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old August 30th, 2009, 02:21 PM
Admiral

Default EMPTY SEAT

IF you go by local news and pundits.. there is no Kennedy willing to step into his seat... and his wife doesn't sound interested.. WHERE DID ALL THE DEMOCRATS COME FROM IN TEXAS? Does anybody remember an old Woody Allen movie about a coutry that wanted to declare war on us and when they laid down their arms there would be eligible for aid.. Really. one of his first..
Old August 30th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Admiral

Venice,

I don't think Lousiana's out of the norm except for possibly in one manner. In most of America, big shot crooked officials line their pockets and either retire or go to jail. In Louisiana, crooked politicians are also subject to being "Hueyed" out of office!

Todd
Old August 30th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Admiral

Ted Kennedy was known as "the lion of the senate"; he was a deal maker that befriended legislators on both sides of the senate and house of representatives. There is a lot that I have learned recently about Ted Kennedy that most people didn't know; he kept much of his "good deeds" out of the press. May his memory be an inspiration to the younger generation who is considering going into public service.
Old August 30th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Admiral

Default NOT KNOWN

Quote:
Originally Posted by balabusta
Ted Kennedy was known as "the lion of the senate"; he was a deal maker that befriended legislators on both sides of the senate and house of representatives. There is a lot that I have learned recently about Ted Kennedy that most people didn't know; he kept much of his "good deeds" out of the press. May his memory be an inspiration to the younger generation who is considering going into public service.
Most of us in MA did not know o his :"good deeds"... as he himself has said he was not a perfect human being and was trying to make up for it.. with silent good deeds..
Old August 30th, 2009, 03:38 PM
Admiral

isn't that the way good deeds are suppose to be carried out (without fanfare)..very nice eulogy by POTUS Obama btw

Todd..you have to wonder about a state that had David Duke run against Edwin Edwards :o :o :o

Luanne..so let me see if I have this right ..if Texas breaks away from the Union, would I need my passport to embark in Galveston on the Conquest and if I purchased a pair of cowboy boots would it be duty free who would the POTUS name as ambassador to Texas when the Saints play the Cowboys at Texas Stadium would that be considered by the NFL an international game ...if Texans had to evacuate to Louisiana during a hurricane would they be considered refugees

I think Americans are just now in his death, becoming aware of the greater good Senator Kennedy did in the second act of his life...this is a great loss for our Country and should cause each of us, to take a closer look at our elected officials