Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 30th, 2009, 10:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Some NCL Dawn passengers got upset..others not so much

So, it seems some people on the NCL Dawn, were getting into fights, as conditions on the Dawn went downhill, during the power outage Others just went with the flow....

Cruisers Stranded by Power Outage Recount Chaos

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old December 1st, 2009, 07:11 AM
Admiral

Well I sure can see the value in booking a balcony in that situation. You can stay in your room and avoid the rioting village idiots and get a little fresh breeze as you bobbed around in the ocean like a cork. One thing I always take on a cruise with me is a flashlight. This is a good example why. It's too bad people were fighting, what a futile and unproductive thing to do in this situation.

I read a post from a man who was on this cruise, and I was so impressed by his positive attitude. I am really glad that NCL compensated these people and got them back to the home port safe and sound.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old December 1st, 2009, 12:01 PM
Admiral

While it definitely would not have been fun to be in an ocean view or inside cabin, NCL did the right thing by getting to a near port and arranging for the passengers to get get to the home port and of course giving such a large refund. Being so close to home I'm sure they did not have to give 75% refund.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old December 1st, 2009, 12:06 PM
Admiral

I know I would have been thrilled with that compensation....

Old December 1st, 2009, 12:27 PM
Admiral

You know Trip, I would have been thrilled too, once I got back to a nice comfy bed and had a nice shower. But, you get a bunch of folks on a ship without power, no running water, no toilets, no a/c and the temps soaring past 100 degrees. I can sure understand how things could have gotten out of hand and tempers flare as peoples fuses grow shorter.

I get it, I understand, but I do think NCL definitely stepped up to the plate and did right by their guests.

Old December 1st, 2009, 01:10 PM
Cruise Maniac

NCL definitely stepped up to the plate - that's for sure!

I'm really surprised they got 75% PLUS 50% on the next cruise.

Kudos to those who maintained a great attitude. I'm hoping that if we were ever in a "like" position, we would be able to be as positive.

I hope now that everyone is back home (hopefully) - they all feel a little better about it and can enjoy their next cruise.
1979 NCL Skyward, 1981 NCL Starward, 1984 NCL Starward, 1989 Carnival Tropicale, 1989 NCL Starward, 1992 NCL Norway, 1993 Regency Regent Sea, 1995 NCL Windward, 1997 RCCL Legend, 1998 RCCL Legend, 2002 RCCL Grandeur, 2004 HAL Ryndam, 2004 RCCL Explorer, 2005 RCCL Splendour, 2005 RCCL Serenade, 2006 RCCL Vision, 2007 RCCL Freedom, 2008 RCCL Monarch, 2009 RCCL Mariner

Old December 1st, 2009, 03:20 PM
Captain

The way NCL handled that serious problem was a great example of being fair and how a reputable company should treat passengers. Sure, this was a one-time thing and was not due to something that NCL did wrong, but NCL certainly stepped up to the plate and treated passengers with respect and fairness and I am willing to bet most of the passengers who were on board, will be sailing NCL again in the future. Kudos to NCL in showing how a problem should be handled!!!

For me the reputation and reliability of a cruise line are one of the most important factors to consider when selection a cruise line.

Debra

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com
Old December 1st, 2009, 05:28 PM
Admiral

bw, I will agree with you 100%. Living for 2 days in those conditions, had to be stressful. On my cruise in Oct...we had what we thought, an air conditioner that was not working up to snuff, though after 2 checks, was told it was up to cruise line standarsds, so having NONE, would have been pretty bad...The balcony gang lucked out for sure, and the ice buckets were probably thrown away after that cruise too

One good thing was, it was not earlier in the cruise, and, they were not even farther away from a port...I would not have been happy either, I can tell you, but getting into a fight about it, would not be my style..I would have cried in a corner, near the bathroom, with a bottle of wine

Last edited by Trip; December 1st, 2009 at 07:14 PM.
Old December 1st, 2009, 05:37 PM
Admiral

I like your style! I hope if I'm ever stranded in the middle of the ocean with out power, I can join you in the corner, I'll share my wine.

Old December 1st, 2009, 07:05 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Now I know why I always book a balcony.

Trip: I will now think of you whenever I fill an ice bucket.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me