Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 26th, 2009, 09:10 AM
Admiral

Default Saturday, boxing day...only comes once a year

Good Morning CruiseMates!
I keep popping in, hoping to hear a good report from Todd.

Here it is about 28 degrees, it is blue as the sun isn't quite up yet and there is a layer of ice and a dusting of snow from yesterday's weather event.

I have to admit, we have never had a more relaxing laid back Christmas in our time together. We had a great time watching the kids play with their toys and helping them put stuff together. I bet d/d and I baked a half dozen cakes and cookies in her Easy Bake oven. I had forgotten how cool stuff like that was. Today I might try out our Wii Fit...when no one is watching. I think too, that I may cook steaks out on my other Christmas present tonight for dinner if the weather cooperates. The kid's were so happy to be home and not to be on the road going somewhere or going to another relative's house for dinner. They loved waking up in their own beds, playing all day, having Christmas dinner here and so did I.

I took all the bones and stuff from the turkey and boiled it down into stock and later this week I think I might make turkey pot pie, turkey and noodles and whatever else we can think of. By the time the New Year arrives, we'll have had enough turkey to last us until next Thanksgiving. I was happy yesterday as my normally picky eaters tried and liked nearly everything I made, except the kids could not handle the shrimp bisque, it was just too spicy for them. which is fine. I was just happy they tried it.

Today I plan on cleaning up my house that looks as though a bomb went off. The kids need to go find places for all their new toys, that are sitting all over the living room, kitchen and dining room at the moment. Right now I have forts constructed from Camo tarps all over the place, there's a child sleeping under one of them in my dining room. Last night there was a kid under one in the living room, but he decided it was less scary and more comfy in his own bed and retreated about midnight .

Katlady posted her funny Christmas video yesterday, so I decided to see if I could make one too. OMG it is hysterical we all sat around and kept running them over and over. You can change the music and the dancing to different styles but it just kept cracking us up so much we ended up downloading it to put in the kid's keepsake box to help us remember the Christmas of 2009. If you want a good laugh check us out:
ElfYourself by OfficeMax - Powered by JibJab

I hope everyone has a great day. I am going to go have another cup of coffee.

Read and post cruise reviews
Sponsored Links
Old December 26th, 2009, 09:21 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Good EARLY morning:

I've been awake since 3:30 a.m. Pacific time. I just can't get around the time change out here. I went to bed at 10:00 p.m. last night because I was so tired but I was wide awake at 3:30. I'm basically forced to remain in the bedroom, on the pullout couch, because my Father-In-Law will wake up if he hears any activity. He's ninety years old, with Alzheimer's, but he has the hearing of bat.

Once Starbucks opens up I'll walk down there and get a cup of coffee.

We had a nice birthday party for my FIL on Christmas eve and that basically turned into Christmas. Almost everyone who was at the birthday party became ill on Christmas day and Betty and I were the only people to be here for Christmas. I have no idea if it was food or my nieces "petri dishes on two legs" that caused the "cruise ship illness" but we'll see how everyone is doing today.

I see a number of folks got hit with the same "cookie disease" I did. It looks like the CM server threw up some bad cookies and a number of people got hit with them. Hopefully everyone has cleaned out the bad cookies and is back on track.

I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and great rest of 2009.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old December 26th, 2009, 09:25 AM
Admiral

Morning Beenie, and all to follow....glad you had a nice, relaxing Christmas, sounds like it was a great day all around. (edited to add hi to Mike!)
Our was very quiet. Dull might be another description. It was very strange not having any family around after a lifetime of busy, busy Christmases.
On the other hand, I enjoyed the peace and quiet, and was glad I did not have to travel when I saw all the travel woes on the news...

I did manage to make a lovely turkey dinner, of which there's enough left over that I won't have to cook tonight! I'm sure we'll enjoy it as much the 2nd time around.

Boxing Day...hmmmm...always the biggest shopping day of the year back in Montreal, and a day I would NEVER venture into the stores.
However, here, apparently everything is CLOSED!! You can't shop, you can't go to the pool or the library or the Y, everybody has an extended Christmas vacation, and you know what? I think it's a good idea. People should stay home and spend more time with their families, just relaxing for a change...
I got gift certificates, but I can wait a few more days to shop!
Actually, I think today I will be putting my other present into the DVD player and watch endless hours of LOST Season 5!!!

donna
Old December 26th, 2009, 10:02 AM
Admiral

Good Morning Mates,
A mild day here - so far. Maybe some freezing rain coming our way - ugh.

Christmas - well, let's just say I am thankful I survived. I would love to just have a melt down - but I must get dressed, go to church and get the scripts mailed back. If they are not all there, then I am not sure what to do, there will be a fine, but I am just too exhausted to make more calls...
then - I am sure that the familes that are left around town will be calling or coming with hopes of more get-to-gethers.
This continous sinus infection since October is so stubborn, it just keeps flairing up. As soon as I think it is gone, it comes back with a vengence.

Glad to hear from Todd - wish there were something I could do to help them. Since all I can do is pray, that is what I shall do. My heart is full for them these days.

Also wondering how Delft is and all that is on her plate.
Just so many on my heart.

Mike - I don't enjoy situations like that - hard to lie still when it feels like you are being held hostage...lol. Sorry to hear so many got ill.

RD - I feel like shoppoing too, but doubt there is any big sales in my small town - feed stores/mini marts and such seldom have those after Christmas deep discounts.

BW - never had the experience of Christmas in my own home - maybe someday. What a joy.

Wishing you all a restful day.

Kuki - has it warmed up in your area at all yet - is there warm weather anywhere - I am cold and think I need a warm change of scenery.
Old December 26th, 2009, 10:51 AM
Admiral

Good morning from sunny Florida where there is a little chill in the air, but it feels great!

My thoughts and prayers are with Todd and Fran like all of yours. I keep checking back and am waiting to hear the news that Fran is improving and getting to go back home.

My prayers go out to Paul M and his family too as he mentioned there were health issues there too.

We had a wonderful Christmas. Missed our own kids, but were still surrounded by family and friends.

Beenie, I enjoyed your little elf video. Cute.
Mike, sorry to hear about the illnesses out there where you are. Maybe by now you've been able to get out and have that cup of coffee you were looking forward to.

RD, I know how hard it is to be away from family for the holidays.

Jen, it's nice to see you posting again. Hope things quiet down a bit for you now.

Have a good one everybody.
Phyll
Old December 26th, 2009, 12:14 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Good morning from a sunny, cold Texas.

I am so glad today has arrived. I have dreaded the Christmas season for so long. We kept looking at the clock to see how much time we had left.

Jim and I ended up giving each other one gift. Josh of course got many more, and his first response was, "I don't deserve all of this." My baby has survivors guilt. We discovered this on our cruise through Texting. I will try and do the review later today, to let you know what happened. It was a real eye opener.

Today I hope to get this place in shape. I have been frozen in sorrow for the last week, and our house shows it.

We did have a great dinner last night. I ordered 10oz steaks, and they gave me two lobster tails. I realized I had never seen a uncooked lobster, much less cooking them. I almost called trip for advice.

I just did what anyone would do, I remembered all the books and tv shows I had seen, and followed those directions. It turned out great.

My thoughts and prayers continue for Todd and Fran. I hope we hear some good news soon.

I hope all of you have a good day.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old December 26th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Good Morning cruisemates! Chilly morning in Scottsdale. Frost on my "office" golf course, but it is sunny and warming now, heading to 60 F.

I thought Canadians were the only ones who knew from "Boxing Day". Mrs Kuki said she was going to hit the stores today, but she's still between the sheets. I'm guessing that my mother had her caregiver take to the malls two hours ago :o... and that she's still there.

She's been busy accessorizing the condo we got her with "look how cheap this was, doesn't matter if it's nice" motif
Old December 26th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki View Post
I thought Canadians were the only ones who knew from "Boxing Day".
You forgot, I'm married to a Canadian lol.

Think today I am going to box up some old stuff to give away, to make room for the new stuff. Having my own version of "boxing day".

Old December 26th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Admiral

Default Saturday, Boxing Day . . . Comes only Once a Year

Good morning from a chilly Southern California. We're still having computer problems. While I am on that subject, can anybody tell my why it is that when I go back to edit a post, I cannot put the corrected post back on? It comes back with the original typos.

We had a lovely Christmas dinner, a German meal that I can't even pronounce, but it was good.

Jen, you and I seem to be sharing that sinus infection. I'm afraid to take an OTC fearing that it won't go with all the other stuff I take.

Mike, I hope that you and yours feel well again, too.

Like so many others here, I think about Todd and Fran. I hope that the Man Upstairs will hear our prayers and heal them both.

Breakfast calls, and so does the pharmacy! Have a good day, shoppers!

Judy
Old December 26th, 2009, 03:05 PM
First Mate

Greetings everyone from Central Connecticut, where it is not so cold...and the snow is melting....

Well, Mrs. S and I decided to brave the crowds this morning and try to take advantage of the sales on Christmas wrapping, cards, and boxes......except that there were no crowds !!!

We got out around 8:45 AM, and headed to our local Walgreen's (a drugstore, although with all they carry, one wonders), fully expecting to have to battle our way to near the items. We were the only ones there for a good 30 minutes !

So we stacked up on 50% off wrapping and boxes, and gift bags and cards...they we went a couple of other places and did the same thing. Again, very few people.

We ended up at Pier 1 specifically to by our grand daughter (aka "The Diva") a Purple Pig ornament that she had admired, but was gone when her mother went back to get it. They live in New Hampshire and only have one Pier 1 nearby. In fact, we had to go to 2 before we found it. But then, ain't nothin' too good for The Diva...wink, wink...

We also ended up buying a berry wreath which will go well in our living room on one wall. Love Pier 1.

Tomorrw it's off to LL Bean in Manchester CT, and perhaps a side trip to Christmas Tree Shoppes which is nearby. We need to get a different size fleece for our grand son (the Diva's brother)...they grow so fast...

Like someone has already mentioned, I have been popping into this forum to see how Todd and Fran are doing, and also hoping for some good news. I will keep the thoughts and prayers directed their way....

Hope everyone has a good rest of the week end.....

Old December 26th, 2009, 03:30 PM
Admiral

Morning from the Pacific Northwest.................still is for a few minutes........

Mike........sorry to hear y'all are sickies.......guess you & Betty can handle our coast better then the ones that live here........

Didn't do anything this morning.....except sleep in........it was great!!!

Thinking of Todd & Fran............

Y'all have a good day...........

Sharon