Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 7th, 2010, 05:23 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default New TSA Procedures

BREAKING NEWS 4:41 PM ET
Obama to Strengthen Criteria to Add People to Terror Watch Lists

Did anyone get the details on the speech Obama just gave at 6:00 pm ET? People are saying there are going to be stricter airport security procedures. What does this means for us cruisers.

Napolitano just said they will add more security for flights into the U.S. All passengers will be affected with enhanced procedures and more random searches (as well as targetted).

The DHS and Dept of Energy is going to work together to develop new technologies for air security.

There will be more air marshalls.

Security measures abroad will be enhanced as well. Probably body imaging systems plus canine, behavior detection officers, bomb sniffing dogs, etc.

Advanced imaging technologies are going to be deployed in 300+ airports (40 are already in use).

Will this affect your decison to fly overseas?

Sponsored Links
Old January 7th, 2010, 06:41 PM
Admiral

no...enhanced security measures have been in place for years in the European airports...things will just be more visable..like the idea of more air marshals on the flight..it will deter some things at least for awhile...I would just book longer connection times as an added precaution and bring a thick new book to read
Old January 7th, 2010, 07:45 PM
Admiral

Paul,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
Did anyone get the details on the speech Obama just gave at 6:00 pm ET?
No, but he apparently read the proverbial "riot act" to the heads of the cognizant agencies. The most cogent quote, referring to the Christmas attack that failed: "That's strike two."

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
People are saying there are going to be stricter airport security procedures. What does this means for us cruisers.

Napolitano just said they will add more security for flights into the U.S. All passengers will be affected with enhanced procedures and more random searches (as well as targetted).
So far, this makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
The DHS and Dept of Energy is going to work together to develop new technologies for air security.
I don't get this. How does the Department of Energy (DOE) get involved? It would make much more sense if it's the Department of Transportation (DOT).

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
There will be more air marshalls.

Security measures abroad will be enhanced as well. Probably body imaging systems plus canine, behavior detection officers, bomb sniffing dogs, etc.

Advanced imaging technologies are going to be deployed in 300+ airports (40 are already in use).
Again, all of this makes sense.

But realistically, I think that the government would do well to consider instituting a "Volunteer Special Air Marshall" (VSAM) program in which frequent fliers who qualify for the appropriate security clearances would receive special training and then be briefed and armed (clip-loaded .357 magnums with laser sights and two loaded clips would be ideal) whenever check in for a flight. The airlines would act as VSAM coordinators, with responsibility for identifying "premium tier" frequent fliers who would be eligible to participate. There are a lot of premium tier frequent fliers who already hold security clearances through their work, so such a program could get rolling as soon as the bureaucracy could match up their paperwork. The advantage of such a program is that terrorists would have no way of knowing how many VSAM's might be aboard a particular flight or where on the plane they might be seated.

And yes, I'm ready to volunteer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Will this affect your decison to fly overseas?
No.

Norm.
Old January 7th, 2010, 11:38 PM
Admiral

Rev, not condoning nor condemning your suggestion but just questioning the use of .357 magnums on a plane. I own one and they are an extremely powerful weapon. A .357 round could easily pass through ( and in most cases would ) one persons body and maybe even two. What would happen if a .357 round penetrated the skin of a plane at altitude --wouldn't that cause an extreme problem as far as sudden pressure loss in the cabin? I have no pity nor mercy on the terrorists and to do one in with a .357 wouldn't bother me in the least.Just wonder about the sudden loss of cabin pressure that would most likely occur if someone started shooting a .357 in a plane, not to mention the noise produced when the weapon was fired inside the plane--a .357 sounds like a cannon--I can imagine what it would sound like in a long hollow tube of a plane.
Old January 8th, 2010, 09:08 AM
Admiral

Rev...your kidding right
Old January 8th, 2010, 10:47 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I agree a .357 magnum is overkill, but you give this to the Rev; it has been the citizens who have stopped every terrorist on a flight that has been stopped.

The airlines do allow pilots to carry firearms now, as I recall (isn't that right?). But I have not yet heard on one using his, even to subdue someone.

Old January 8th, 2010, 01:21 PM
Administrator
Admiral

This would not make any difference in my decision to fly overseas. I know I would make sure to show up at the airport at least four hours before flight time.

I really have an issue with people throwing a fit about the body scanning technology. If someone wants to see a digital image of my body then go ahead. BTW: You can tell if someone is male or female but it sure isn't a Playboy centerfold picture but, in my case, a nude picture of me may cause to object.

I am someone who has issues with infringement on my personal rights but flying is a choice and a scanning process does no more than an x-ray or magnetic scan to infringe on my rights. I have a pacemaker and I am more than willing to get a body pat down. Just because I tell them I have a pacemaker, and have a "card" to corroborate it, doesn't mean anything. Anyone could say the same thing. It goes for any metal device that has been implanted. When the appliance was implanted people knew it would change their lives. In some ways for the better but in other ways it would cause some inconvenience. Accept the good with the bad.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me