Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 15th, 2010, 01:37 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Migrating to Windows 7

In case you are wondering why I have been somewhat silent lately it is because I have been migrating from on older XP computer to a new Windows 7.

I have to say, I love my new computer although there are definitely sime compatibility issues and COST associated with making this move.

You have to buy a premium version in some cases in order to make old software work, And drivers can be a real nightmare.

Some of my software in from 1996, but I love it.

One big thing is that Windows 7 doesnot come with an email program. But I just discovered Mozilla Thunderbird (same people who make Firefox) and it is much better than the Windows Live that Microsoft offers, especially if you have a lot of custom foilders for storing old email like I do.
Sponsored Links
Old April 15th, 2010, 02:57 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Paul,

I migrated to Windows 7 almost a year ago. It was fairly painless. An additional gig of memory and new drivers for my NIC (A non-standard device) and printer. HP and Cisco had the drivers I needed. I had to download them to another machine because I couldn't go online until I had the NIC driver.

You must have an external drive to migrate files to and copy back. If not you will lose everything.

I use Outlook 2007 so the email was not an issue.

I still prefer XP. But you like what you are used to. I'll leave XP2 on my other machines until it's time to replace them.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 15th, 2010, 03:01 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I went a new Pentium i-7 and a dedicated machine with 8 GB memory and 1.3 TB hards drive. I have three 24-inch monitors and a super video card.

All my upgrades have been via network (that was a bit of a challenge).

But this new machine with Win 7 is so fast, I love it. In "performance" I can actually see all eight processor threads at the same time.

And I really love this new Mozilla Thunderbird email client - wow. It is so intuitive - tabbed like the firefox browser, handt for opening multiple emails.
Old April 15th, 2010, 03:16 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Paul,

The speed is wonderful. My machine (8GB, 1GB RAID) now boots up in about 30 seconds. However, like most Microsoft products, it is getting slower. Being able to see the MP's in action is a nice feature.

You are correct that Professional and Ultimate are worth it. Home Edition is worthless for anyone who really needs full functionality or tweeks their machine.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

Old April 15th, 2010, 03:36 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I've been seriously thinking of doing the same, may-be one of these days....Sounds a bit involved, but worth it.

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 15th, 2010, 06:28 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
Paul,

The speed is wonderful. My machine (8GB, 1GB RAID) now boots up in about 30 seconds. However, like most Microsoft products, it is getting slower. Being able to see the MP's in action is a nice feature.

Mike
Mike, it must be quite a challenge with that 1GB RAID! That's probably why you're a bit slow booting.

"SKY"
Old April 15th, 2010, 06:42 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster View Post
Mike, it must be quite a challenge with that 1GB RAID! That's probably why you're a bit slow booting.

"SKY"

I had to think twice about this post but then realised my old 1TB raid was more like it??
Ps the 1TB raid had major hardware issues and is now dead as a doodoo.

Celebrity Constellation November 2010

TALLY HO!!!
Chin Chin and all that!
Old April 15th, 2010, 07:13 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:

"SKY"
Ken: My mind was thinking Tera but my fingers were typing Giga. It wasn't that many years ago that I ran a 1GB RAID configuration. Fifteen years ago who would have ever thought a home user would use 1GB and now 1TB isn't enough.

With the 1TB SATA drives I actually have a 30GB boot partition with just RAID 1 mirroring.

Take care,
Mike

Old April 15th, 2010, 07:23 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I know where the ON button is!
Old April 15th, 2010, 07:43 PM
Admiral

I'm with the moose man, you are talking a foreign language :-)

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 15th, 2010, 08:14 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Mine came with the home edition - but you can buy an upgrade to the next version online for about $99.

Really, all computers have the premium version - it just isn't unlocked. I unlocked it because it is supposed to make certain 32-bit programs still work.

Well, it does, but they dont work any better or faster, and I still have to start them with "Run as Administrator" which is weird.

Honestly - I DON'T think the upgrade is worth it if you have a lot of data and a set way of working likeI do.

As the head of CruiseMates I still email from 10 years ago, and every article we ever had. I have pictures of every ship. logos, etc, and every picture you see in the site is copied to my own computer (except the picture galleries - and some of the older ones were lost - sad!)

It is actrually easy transfer your old settings if you can connect two computers together, but you have to understand some programs go away - like Outlook Express. But I am still loving "Thunderbird" from Mozilla - what a great email program!

But my mouse does not work the same. And I ended up spending a lot more than I planned:

new mouse (the 32-bit Logitech driver would not work), upgrade to premium, a new monitor because I need to get one with what is called a "displayport connector" which is like HDMI but different. I had to order that monitor over the Internet because no local store carriews them, but it looks beautiful.

I really do think navigating Windows 7 is much easier. I dont need a photo gallery program for my computer, I just need to open a folder and I see thumbnails imediately.

All my music and videos are also organized They were before, but I had to go through to many steps to reach them.

I have SO much monitor space now, and the graphics are much sharper and faster - like HD vs regular TV.
Old April 15th, 2010, 10:45 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Speak English puleeze

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old April 15th, 2010, 11:37 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

I did the same this past weekend, but I went with a new iMac. Same story, the OS was newer (Snow Leopard) so more $ to upgrade software, etc. Really love it. I've dumped microsoft office for mac as it was never current with other doc apps on the pc and the new Apple software is running rings around microsoft. My two year experiment with the 'dark side' software is over. The iPad is next!! Seems perfect for a cruise.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old April 16th, 2010, 09:30 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Yeh - the monitor I had to buy is based on Mac technology - but their version of the same monitor is about $800 where mine was $300.

Sorry - I appreciate Apple (and I love their stock) but the whole concept of Apple being the "cool" small company only hip people know about is all just clever marketing.

Apple is now the third largest company (my market cap ) in America. BIGGER THAN WALLMART.

The reason everything works out of the box ona Mac is because you only have a two choices of what to buy; Apple or Apple. Therefore everything they make is 3-time more expensive.

BTW: I just switched to Droid (Google-based OS) from an iPhone, and I LOVE it. No more having to go through iTunes just to update my phone, and Verizon is so much better that AT&T.
Old April 16th, 2010, 10:19 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Ken: My mind was thinking Tera but my fingers were typing Giga. It wasn't that many years ago that I ran a 1GB RAID configuration. Fifteen years ago who would have ever thought a home user would use 1GB and now 1TB isn't enough.

With the 1TB SATA drives I actually have a 30GB boot partition with just RAID 1 mirroring.

Take care,
Mike
,,,I knew exactly what you did, but I just couldn't help but "yank your chain" just a bit. You're absolutely correct, in that it wasn't long ago that 1GB of disk space was TERRIFIC! Not all that long ago, the DEC systems I worked on used 8 megabyte core memory boards, that were about 12inches by 16inches in size! We've come a long, long way!

Ken
"SKY"
Old April 16th, 2010, 12:01 PM
Admiral

Quote:
,,,I knew exactly what you did, but I just couldn't help but "yank your chain" just a bit. You're absolutely correct, in that it wasn't long ago that 1GB of disk space was TERRIFIC! Not all that long ago, the DEC systems I worked on used 8 megabyte core memory boards, that were about 12inches by 16inches in size! We've come a long, long way!

Ken
"SKY"
HAAA,,,Now I did it too! The old DEC boards were 8 KILOBYTE,,,not 8 Meg. Guess that's what I get for making fun of you!

"SKY"
Old April 16th, 2010, 12:29 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Can we get back to talking about me? - Just Kidding. I just love my new 'puter.

8 GB ram - eight processes running at the same time - wow. Everything is so fast & stable - with a 64-bit processor and the new drivers Windows actually is lot more like a MAC now, but less expensive.

Check out my attachment.

But I am glad I bought a new machine with hardware drivers already loaded because upgrading with all the old drivers either in place or needing to be replaced would be problematic.

Ray - sorry about pulling your chain about the Mac. I just think they are over-rated. They work so well because they are proprietary and unconfigurable. What fun is that?

And once again, the value of the company is now bigger than WalMart (kind of tells you a little bit about their profit margin). They are GREAT at marketing, though.

Even the iPad - there are already 10 windows based iPad type products on the market, but you would think Apple invented it.
Attached Thumbnails
Migrating to Windows 7-processes.jpg  
Old April 16th, 2010, 03:44 PM
Admiral

All these techie geniuses. Maybe one can tell me why my desktop will no longer connect to the Internet.

I get error message

The dependency service or group failed to start.

Other than this the desktop pc works with all programs... except of course anything that needs to go on the Internet.
Old April 16th, 2010, 04:37 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
Can we get back to talking about me? - Just Kidding. I just love my new 'puter.

8 GB ram - eight processes running at the same time - wow. Everything is so fast & stable - with a 64-bit processor and the new drivers Windows actually is lot more like a MAC now, but less expensive.

Check out my attachment.

But I am glad I bought a new machine with hardware drivers already loaded because upgrading with all the old drivers either in place or needing to be replaced would be problematic.

Ray - sorry about pulling your chain about the Mac. I just think they are over-rated. They work so well because they are proprietary and unconfigurable. What fun is that?

And once again, the value of the company is now bigger than WalMart (kind of tells you a little bit about their profit margin). They are GREAT at marketing, though.

Even the iPad - there are already 10 windows based iPad type products on the market, but you would think Apple invented it.

I was told by my supplier that Hyper Threading wasn't required on a 64 bit machine and was only useful on 32 bit machines so mine is turned off.

TALLY HO!!!
Chin Chin and all that!
Old April 16th, 2010, 04:42 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki View Post
All these techie geniuses. Maybe one can tell me why my desktop will no longer connect to the Internet.

I get error message

The dependency service or group failed to start.

Other than this the desktop pc works with all programs... except of course anything that needs to go on the Internet.

Google search results onThe dependency service or group failed to start.

TALLY HO!!!
Chin Chin and all that!
Old April 16th, 2010, 05:46 PM
Admiral

Thanks Lombard. It did take quite a bit of surfing through techie talk, until I did come up on a very simple, read English/hit enter type of fix and it worked!

My desktop is once again connected and my head is pounding
Old April 17th, 2010, 04:04 AM
Admiral

Techie talk bedazzles me to sometimes with the word "what" popping into my head.

TALLY HO!!!
Chin Chin and all that!
Old April 17th, 2010, 09:22 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Kuki,

Was the solution a TCPIP stack repair?

i.e. From command prompt type in "netsh winsock reset", "netsh int ip set" and then reboot.

Take care,
Mike

Old April 17th, 2010, 10:29 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Kuki,

Was the solution a TCPIP stack repair?

i.e. From command prompt type in "netsh winsock reset", "netsh int ip set" and then reboot.

Take care,
Mike
Sure, show off....where were you when I needed you? You could have been here resetting my netsh in fishnet stockings, and stilletos, and who knows what that could have led to.
:razz::razz:
Old April 17th, 2010, 04:16 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Kuki,

Sorry I was late to the party. I do wish I would have seen it sooner. Just think of it as a learning opportunity. Now you can do it again when you have problems. It may not work but you can look good trying it.

In the meantime I'll send my associate over to give your system a complete inspection.

Take care,
Mike

Old April 17th, 2010, 04:20 PM
Admiral

YOu guys are a riot, just too funny, love the stockings, OMG!

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 18th, 2010, 10:55 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Phil&Liz

Remember when 64k was all anybody would ever need?
VAX servers?

I'm struggling with the way Vista "moved" folders and now you have to change permissions on all of them! Simple file sharing my arse !

Phil & Liz

The problem with socialism is that you eventually run out of other people's money. Margaret Thatcher

Never take an idiot travelling, you can always pick one up when you get there. Billy Connolly

I Didn't Come here and I ain't Leaving.
Willie Nelson

9/01/2013 Carnival Legend
2/16/2014 BC 7

Bill Murray
20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.
Old April 21st, 2010, 01:06 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil&Liz View Post
Remember when 64k was all anybody would ever need?
VAX servers?

I'm struggling with the way Vista "moved" folders and now you have to change permissions on all of them! Simple file sharing my arse !

Phil & Liz
Commodore 64
First IBM XT had a 10MB, (MEGABYTE) hard drive. If memory serves, they said then they would never be able to go over 128KB of memory limit.

Valor 2008
Triumph 2006
Fantasy 2004
Pride 2002
Imperial Maj 2001
Carnivalle 1994
Couple forgotten
Old April 21st, 2010, 02:07 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Phil there is probably an easier solution. I was finally able to see all of my XP computers but I had to disable the McAfee firewall. (The windows one didnt matter).

Also, if you have a network the auto transfer mechnism works pretty well - you just have to start it at night and see what it did in the morning. It takes about 8 hours to do 50 GB.