Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 12th, 2010, 08:20 AM
Admiral

Default It's Hump Day Wednesday!

Well fellow CruiseMates, it's off to Sevierville-Pigeon Forge-Gatlinburg area.

We have our very inexpensive hotel room awaiting us and today it's going to be just runnin' around day followed by an evening at the Dixie Stampede. Today will of course include stops at several area bookstores including Book Warehouse where prices are fractional of what they are in standard gook stores. You just have to look in your genre` and hope you find something. They generally have some history things I like. I generally come home with six or seven books that can retail as high as $160 to $180 (sometimes significantly more) but for which I pay a total of around a third of that amount. Again it's the luck of the draw and in response to the questions, "Well, do you feel lucky, punk?" I have to answer, "Yep."

If pickin's are slim, there's always Books-A-Million but the prices there are retail.

Tomorrow, plan to spend a good part of the day at Dollywood. As we have a Gold pass there will be no parking cost and we'll get 20% off most everything we purchase (including meals) in the park. That translates from the mark-up as opposed to that in the "real world" will be at a significantly lower felonious level.

Here's wishing everyone a marvelous Hump Day and a special welcome home to those just returned from cruises.

Hope your troubles are quickly rectified Mike.

Prayers and a call for Blessings continue.

Todd
Sponsored Links
Old May 12th, 2010, 09:37 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Good morning everyone.

Just returned from the airport where we dropped Betty off. Her Dad has taken another downturn in his condition and it looks like he is on the last part of his journey. Hospice care started on Monday and he is not eating and is only awake a couple hours a day and when he is awake he has no idea of what is going on.

Betty will assess the situation and if needed I will go out there and help take care of the last outstanding loose ends.

Todd: Have fun in Dollywood and I hope you find a bargain book. Don't worry about my problems other than Betty's Dad. I'm just taking care of some real estate deals in purchasing foreclosed property and having to deal with lawyers and bankers to get the deal I want done.

I hope all have a wonderful Wednesday and a great rest of the week.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old May 12th, 2010, 09:37 AM
Admiral

Good morning,
Another cool and windy day here, I must say I’m getting pretty tired of this moldy weather. Have a hair appointment today and want to stop by Jewel to buy a hibiscus tree. I need to pick up my sons suite and polish his shoes for conformation on Friday. Other than that not much is going on.
Have a great day everyone.
Todd… You and Fran go and have a great time, tell Dolly hello!!
Mike... my prayer are with all of you.

Need some cruise help?
Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old May 12th, 2010, 09:39 AM
Admiral

Good Morning CruiseMates!
Yay! Todd & Fran!!! Glad to see you are going on your trip to Dollywood! Wish I could join you. I love that area.

Well today is starting out gray and dreary, mid 50's, supposed to rain most of the day, and it just started sprinkling. Yesterday started out absolutely depressing, but ended up being so nice out it was amazing. D/D even had softball practice. Their little team is starting to really shape up.

The pool filling brigade is nearly out of business. The other pool down the road is nearly full and I expect we will be completed later in the day. Then the big pool that created all these problems will be taken down and I will re-seed the lawn where it sat and in a few weeks no one will be any the wiser. YAY!

The kids are still asleep. The house is quiet aside from two little furry critters meowing their demands...one wants to come in to the house from the garage, the other wants to go outside and chase chipmunks. Not sure how that will work out, but we'll see. I think once the one got her fur wet out in the rain, the charm of that endeavor would wear off quickly. The other is kind of lonesome so I don't know exactly what we'll do with him. I worry about how he'll behave in the house, but right now he has all of us visiting him throughout the day, Delicious food (by cat's standards lol), once in a while a mouse wanders in to the garage to offer him amusement until he catches it and then that game is over. He is so much happier now than when I first met him. He was covered in scabs and sores because the ear mites made him itch so badly and he was always scratching. He can hear again. His fur is smooth, sleek and shiny now, where it used to be dull, dirty and matted. He didn't purr when he was fed, he was pretty much lethargic and expressionless, now the minute I walk in the door his motor is running and he is happy to be loved and safe here. I may let him come in for a bit and see if he can spend time here in the house without spraying. That is the worst thing people who keep male cats and don't get them fixed early on, they are more likely to continue the spraying behavior even after they are fixed. They are also more aggressive, it makes it hard to find them homes, because no one wants their house to smell like a litter box. On a positive note, I have not observed him doing any marking behavior in quite some time... please let's pray he has got it out of his system.

I hope you are all doing well and enjoy the day. My schedule is light, since all I have to do is smarten up the kids this morning and then get them to music lessons later today. There's no choir practice tonight. So it will be nice not to have such a full plate for a change.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old May 12th, 2010, 09:47 AM
Admiral

Good morning, Mates!

Todd, I was so glad to read that you and Fran will be heading toward Pigeon Forge! There is so much to do there! And I kind of liked reading, yesterday, that the Dixie Stampede had precious horse riding. Enjoy your visit!

Last week I noticed that my washing machine was leaking water, but since it is in my garage, I didn't panic too much (DH was out of town). Well, yesterday he decided to check it out. He pulled it away from the wall and saw that the water hoses were dry, but definitely needed to be replaced. Well, I'm sure you already have a visual of what happened next! Yep, the pipe broke as he was trying to get the hose off. Nothing is EVER as easy as you think it will be --- is it Beenie? Found the problem with the washer, the water pump housing was cracked. Because of the age of the machine, I'm buying me a new one! WooHooooo!

We have had a friend visiting us this week -- a fellow cruisemate! We have enjoyed showing him our area, while he has taken care of some necessary business. I think today we will visit Galveston and check out the Lone Star Flight Museum and then find a nice place for lunch.

Everyone have a wonderful day!
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old May 12th, 2010, 09:55 AM
Admiral

good morning mates! its a dreary, chilly rainy day here in Mass, what happened to our nice warm spring weather? oh well i will take rain during the week and a decent weekend any day.
Old May 12th, 2010, 10:22 AM
Admiral

Good morning from cold and rainy NY .I hope that spring arrives soon
Old May 12th, 2010, 10:40 AM
Captain

Well our day yesterday was a copy of Beanies, rain in the morning turning to a very nice afternoon. Not so today! The thunder is rolling and dark clouds fill the sky. The sun couldn't get through if it wanted to!
Today I had planned to finish getting the motorhome loaded for the weekend but the rain may slow that down. I need to make a run to the grocery for a few things to take with us but that too will need to be postponed until this storm passes.
I would do all this tomorrow but I have a meeting in Cincinnati, Ohio starting at 5 pm and since it is a little over a 2 hour drive that means I need to leave here plenty early. Especially since I would like to stop and do a little shopping before the meeting. I don't get the chance to do that very often anymore. Let this country girl loose in the big city and she goes crazy!
Well this storm is getting pretty rough and that means the power will probaby drop off here soon so I'm out of here.
Todd- You guys have a great time and enjoy your trip.
Mike- So sorry to hear about Betty's dad. Prayers for all of you.
Beanie- Maybe you should go into the pool construction business!

Prayers for all our Mates in need. Have a good, safe day.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old May 12th, 2010, 11:23 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Good morning from Texas, where it is hot, windy, and muggy. We keep looking out for rain, but so far, no luck. This is suppose to be our rainy season. I noticed yesterday that the gound has begun to crack.

Today I have to get the house in order, because we fly to Charleston Friday morning. Jim won't start his 12 hour days until right before the end of our trip, so I am hoping to see a little of Charleston, before everything begins.

This weekend is our yearly fest, which is in the city park, which is in our backyard. This year some of the kids have set up a booth in order to help fund the scholarship in Joe's name. What we don't make, Jim and I will donate the rest. These kids have worked so hard. Joe would have been very happy.

Mike, I am so sorry about Betty's dad. Tell her my thoughts and prayers are with her and your family.

Todd, Have a great time. Make some memories!!!

BW, I love your cat stories. They bring hope for us all that there is still people who care.

Everyone have a good day.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old May 12th, 2010, 12:49 PM
Admiral

Good morning from where it is in the upper 70's, Virginia Beach. Todd I hope that you and Fran are having a great time in the Gatlinburg/Pidgeon Forge area. There is nothing like taking a few days to get away. Rob and I plan on using part of a timeshare week over Memorial Day weekend where we plan on going to Water Street in Yorktown, the Pottery, the outlet malls, historic Williamsburg and Jamestown. Of course we will indulge in several of the areas outstanding restaurants. Meanwhile, work awaits me tonight plus I have to plan dinner. Make it a great day, fellow cruisemates!
Old May 12th, 2010, 12:52 PM
Admiral

Default It's Hump Day Wednesday

Good morning! It's going to be a beautiful warm day, the start of temps in the mid-eighties.

Todd, you and Fran have a great time!
Mike, please extend our thoughts and prayers to Betty from Keith and me.

Keith complained this morning about feeling dizzy. He's supposed to keep track of his blood pressure and then report to the nurses station at the clinic one day next week. I hope all the problem is is a medication adjustment. I worry about him driving and going to the gym with all those machines. Guess I'm just being a fuss budget.

I'm at sixes and sevens I need to change over my closets and make a couple of appts, but haven't the motivation to do any of it. The weather is perfect for having a nice lunch outdoors and/or visiting an outdoor mall.

I hope everyone has a nice day.

Judy
Old May 12th, 2010, 01:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

I always read these threads but don't usually post. I felt the need today to share that thanks to my In-laws I am busy researching HAL on my lone day off this week. Their 50th is in Feb. and they have invited DH and myself on a 10-day cruise on the Noordam to help them celebrate - and they are picking up the cruise fare!! That gives me 2 cruises to look forward to (going on Carnival Pride in Aug. for my 40th) - so needless to say, I am really excited!

Beenie - I too have lots of experience rescuing sickly pets. They seem to know how much we've done for them, and are extra loving. Good Luck!

Sal - Enjoy your shopping! I am originally from that same area (most of our families are still in the Dayton area) so I know getting a chance to shop in the big city doesn't happen very often, so you need to make the most of it.

I hope all of you have a great day!
Old May 12th, 2010, 05:44 PM
Admiral

We've arrived in Pigeon Forge and are now in our room getting ready to go to the Dixie Stampede.

Before I go any further, just want to say that your Father In Law has been added to the prayer list and to tell you not just Fran and me but all of your CruiseMate family extend our support to you and Betty.

Made my first book store stop on the way in and got three non-fiction books that had a total cover price of $87.00 I got all three for $25.00. and it's not as if they're a decade old either. The oldest was copyrighted in 07. Can't wait until I hit the major discount book store, Book Warehouse.

Guess I'd better get ready for tonight's visit to the Dixie Stampede and get ready to mimic Henry the 8th's style as he gnawed on a leg of mutton.

Todd