Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 7th, 2010, 06:27 PM
Admiral

Default Krupski v. Costa Crociere S. p. A.

Everybody,

The Supreme Court of the United States (SCOTUS) issues a significant ruling today in a lawsuit brought by an injured passenger against a cruise line. In the case, known as Krupski v. Costa Crociere S. p. A., the petitionner initially brought suit against "Costa Cruise Lines" (the name printed on the front of the cruise ticket) rather than against "Costa Crociere S. p. A." (the name of the Italian corporation that actually operated the cruise) for an injury suffered aboard one of the line's cruise ships even though the fine print in the cruise contract stipulated that suits had to be brought against the latter. The plaintiff subsequently moved to correct the legal name of the defendant after expiration of the period stipulated in the cruise contract for bringing suits under the guise that Costa Crociere S. p. A. and Costa Cruise Lines are distinct legal entities (the latter being a wholly owned subsidiary of the former that markets cruises in the United States). In today's decision, SCOTUS ruled that the procedural rules require the district court to allow the correction of the name on the filing, as it was clearly a mistate on the part of the plaintiff. The case will now go back to the district court for trial on its merits.

This ruling is good news for consumers, as it means that cruise companies cannot use their complex hierarchies of corporate structures to evade legal liability. Nonetheless, the errant name has cost the plaintiff substantial time and money while the issue of correction of the name on the filing has gone through the Circuit Court of Appeals and SCOTUS. Had the original filing been correct, the district court would have proceeded to try the case on its merit about two years ago.

So if you are bringing a suit against a cruise line for injuries sustained during a cruise, make sure that you use the correct legal name as it appears in the fine print of the cruise contract!

Norm.
Sponsored Links
Old August 9th, 2010, 06:13 PM
Admiral

Before you do anything you need a lawyer who is an expert in that field. The small print in a cruise contract allways has a lot of munbo junbo.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old August 9th, 2010, 06:32 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Thank you for bringing this to our attention Rev.

We thought it was also too bad the original judge allowed the cruise line lawyers to get away with that. As i said, I can't blame the lawyers for doing their jobs (thats why they make the big bucks) but it is too bad for the plaintiff that they had to go such a distance just to get some relief.

Now the cruise line also has way more invested in the case than they needed to spend as well.