Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 31st, 2010, 07:03 AM
Admiral

Default Tuesday Tidings....

I know, "tidings" sounds kind of Christmasy, but it goes with Tuesday!
It is anything BUT Christmasy out there today. The heat wave continues..
Yesterday the highs were in the 30's C with humidex around 40 C, which is, frankly, off the chart I keep at the side of my computer. somewhere in the 90's F I'd think, quite unusual for these parts!
I took full advantage of the gorgeous weather and one of my last days of freedom, and headed for a local Fun Park, which features a beautiful pool and water slides. I parked myself in a chair with a good book, and dipped in and out of the pool all afternoon, enjoying soaking up the sun.
The best part? All those kids who came and went, were NOT my responsibility!

I'd love to do the same today, but I have a busy day... there is a newspaper photographer coming this morning to photograph my pets for a feature in the local paper.
Then, I have a number of errands to run in town, and this afternoon, drive to a nearby town for a meeting regarding the new job.. Busy, busy, busy...

Todd, wishing and hoping some good news for Fran with her appointment today. Thoughts and prayers will be with you both...

donna
Old August 31st, 2010, 07:27 AM
Admiral

Good Morning CruiseMates!
Well it is bright and early and as usual plenty to do around here. I made a big dent in some chores yesterday. I am encouraged by how good my new and improved foot feels. It is almost normal and for the most part pain free, as long as I am walking on level surfaces. Walking in the yard is quite a challenge though and I have to place each step carefully and deliberately. The doc wants me to be careful not to do anything that could back the implant out. One of the drugs they gave me for the shingles was prednisone, I am enjoying it's anti inflammatory properties immensely. There is hardly any swelling in the ankle, and it looks really good.

One thing I am not enjoying about the prednisone are some wild mood swings. I have been after d/h to shock the pool for several days, I was not amused to walk out yesterday and find it to be green as a gourd. I was one very hot unit (not hot in a good way )! Let me just say it was a good thing d/h didn't get home from work til 7, by then I had cooled off a bit. I gave it a jolt of super duper shock and algaecide, but I just went out to look at it after it has sat all night, and it looks worse than it did yesterday. So I guess I will take a water sample down to the pool store and have them give me something to kill it. Now that my stitches are out and the weather is hot I'd love to get in there and take a swim... but not if its green.

I have another physical therapy appointment today, so I think that between the pool, laundry, PT, and kid's schoolwork, that ought to about shoot the entire day.

Todd and Fran, hope and prayers are being sent your way! Hoping for a good report from the Oncologist.

Take care everyone! It'll be TGIF again before we know it.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old August 31st, 2010, 08:20 AM
Admiral

Todd morning both Rollerdonna and Beenie Weenie. That's great news about your foot. Some advice. Stay away from your favorite high caloric foods while you're on the Prednisone if you're anything like Fran. She has such an appetite, I had to pull her back one time from our cat Oliver's bowl.

Here's a request to you R/D. PLEASE keep an eye on Hurricane Earl and follow all official advice up to and including evacuation. While it's not projected to actually come ashore in the US, it looks as if you might be smacked head on with it. Even though it will probably have considerably diministed in strength, if you've never experienced a hurricane, for Heaven's sake don't ever underestimate its capability , most especially if you live just a littel above sea level and you're close to the beach, even if your house is specifically constructed with hurricanes in mind. It also might not be a bad idea were you to make the financial sacrifice and purchase a gasoline powered generator.

Hope everyone has a fantastic Tuesday and I'll keep you posted on what we learn today at the oncologist on a Fran update thread. BTW, her temp this morning when she got up was 101.1 but has since dropped to 99.8.

Prayers and Blessings continue!

Todd
Old August 31st, 2010, 09:25 AM
Captain

It might be the last day of August but our weather is more like the middle of July. Highs in the 90's for the next 3 days then a cool front is suppose to come in and relive us. It was very foggy this morning but the sun is now shinning and for some reason the humitiy is low, so it is a pretty nice morning. I have been up for hours, took the grandaughter to school. She had managed to catch this fall cold everyone is getting so she was absent from school yesterday. She was feeling much better this am so I let her rest here rather than ride the school bus for an hour.
Todays plan include some office work. Thank goodness some of my clients have called so I will be working on things for them today. I have a few bills to pay , just glad the funds are there. If I get everything done in the office I may go out and really hit getting the motorhome straightened up and ready for packing for the weekend.

BW- glad your foot is doing so good. Sorry about the pool, hope you get it straightened out so you can enjoy it a time or two before the temps drop.

RD- So you now will have celebrities in your house...the pets. Enjoy your last days before work starts. Like Todd said, beware of EARL! Stay safe.

Todd- Praying that you get good news today about Fran. Prayers continue for you both.

Everyone have a great day.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old August 31st, 2010, 10:36 AM
Admiral

Good morning cruisemates

We are having a heatwave here as well. Temps in the 95+ range.
Earl is predicted to go by very close to the Connecticut shore, so we are keeping an eye on the forecasts.

Have a great day everybody.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old August 31st, 2010, 10:51 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Good morning everyone from another Hot Texas. We are in full fledged redoing our house. Nothing is where it is suppose to be, but at least everything has begun.

I just heard that when the president comes to Texas today, he won"t be meeting with our governor. Don"t suppose he will invite Geo W to appear when he thanks the troops either. Drives me crazy!!!

Raise your hand if you would allow your 13 year old to drive a bike over 100 miles an hour.

I think I will start watching cartoons. They sure make more sense these days.

Todd, Thoughts and prayers for your day. I sure hope they can help Fran feel better.

BW sounds like you are almost back to normal.

I hope all of you have a good day.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old August 31st, 2010, 11:22 AM
Admiral

Todd and Sue, thanks for the warning about Earl. We are watching the "storm tracking" here as well, but if he hits, it will most likely be the south coast where Halifax is located. We're 2 hours north of there, but I'm sure we will get some nasty weather as well.
The generator sounds like a good idea as our water and toilet are both operated by electricity!

donna
Old August 31st, 2010, 11:38 AM
Admiral

Default Tuesday Tidings . . .

Good morning from Southern California where the temps are going back to summertime. Oh well, we enjoyed the reprieve.

And speaking of house repairs, etc., we had a termite inspector out on Friday, and in the attic, he came nearly eyeball to eyeball with a rat. There's also a nest up there. We've had problems with tree rats before eating through wiring. Some years back, they also ate wiring in my car doing about $800 in damage.

Keith wants to "play" in his workshop while it's still cool, so best get breakfast started. Come coffee does sound good.

Todd, I hope Fran gets some good news today.

Judy
Old August 31st, 2010, 01:11 PM
Admiral

Good afternoon from where it is already a hot and steamy 90, in Virginia Beach. Rollerdonna, I hope all went well with the photographer and Todd, may we all hear some great news about Fran's health. Just a quiet day; I went to the gym, picked up some groceries, and went out to lunch with a girlfriend. Tomorrow I have to get my hair colored and do last minute packing before we leave for Labor Day Weekend. Thoughts and prayers go out to those that are in need. May all of you have a great Tuesday!
Old August 31st, 2010, 08:14 PM
Admiral

Good evening from hot and steamy NY .Today was a long day ,early in the morning I had my bandages permanently removed .Later on it was granma and grandpa camp . My 6 year old and I played 34 games of Perquacky . We would have played more but she observed that I was bleeding from my wound and my BDW administered first aid .Then back top playing 20 games of tic-tac-toe .Followed by lunch at a local pizzeria then the pool for my wife and grand-daughter giving me some rest before the 2 year old arrived .
Earlier this evening I received a call from my best friend from college .He and his wife just booked the Panama Canal cruise that we are taking which was great news .We've had a 46 year friendship but never vacationed together .Now I am really looking forward to the cruise .
I told him about CM and suggested he join but he is still actively employed ,he owns a Printing business and rarely has time to be on line .

Is this the most I ever typed ?
Old August 31st, 2010, 10:19 PM
Admiral

It is a lot for you to type, but I like hearing more about your life.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old August 31st, 2010, 10:26 PM
Admiral

Default Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo View Post
It is a lot for you to type, but I like hearing more about your life.

I was just talking to a friend of mine who moved to Texas 30+ years ago and has no desire to come back to NY ,however ,he will be attending our hs 50th reunion next June .
Old August 31st, 2010, 10:58 PM
Admiral

Henry, glad to hear that your bandages were removed and that you are "on the mend". I am sure that you can't wait to go on a Panama Canal Cruise with a college friend. Going on a Panama Canal Cruise is "high on Rob's and my List" of cruises to do in the future!
Old August 31st, 2010, 11:00 PM
Admiral

We've been very close friends nearly 50 years ,with zero arguments over that time period which to me is amazing . We are also traveling with a friend of my wife's and her husband .We've known them for more than 40 years .
Old August 31st, 2010, 11:14 PM
Admiral

That's funny. I just say one of my son's friends, and he is from NY now, but has been down here to make a little money before going back. He loves NY.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008