Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 10th, 2010, 06:25 PM
Captain

Default Volunteer chaplain

I will have finished my Chaplain training by the time I sail on may next cruise. Is there away to notify the ship that I would be honored to serve as a volunteer chaplain on my cruise if a need arose?
ROMANS 8:28

VIKING SERENADE 1993
HOLIDAY 1995
HOLIDAY 1997
HOLIDAY 1998
ECTASY 1999
ELATION 2000
STAR PRINCESS 2002
SPIRIT 2003
NCL STAR 2004
PRIDE 2005
PRIDE 2006
PARADISE 2007
MS OOSTERDAM 2008
SPLENDOR 5/2010

Carnival Splendor
Sponsored Links
Old September 10th, 2010, 07:58 PM
Admiral

Susan,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I will have finished my Chaplain training by the time I sail on may next cruise. Is there away to notify the ship that I would be honored to serve as a volunteer chaplain on my cruise if a need arose?
Unfortunately, most cruise lines are not very eager to have volunteer chaplains to lead services, etc., because they have had problems with major passenger dissatisfaction in the past. The typical scenario is that some hard-core fundamentalist or somebody from a pseudo-Christian cult volunteers and then unleashes a preach at what's supposed to be an interdenominational service that's totally out of the mainstream or even contrary to the understanding of the majority of those present. Though exact policies vary, most cruise lines will accept only chaplains who have formal endorsements or credentials issued by agencies of recognized denominations, and they typically insist upon training in a seminary rather than a "bible college" or other non-seminary program.

>> Most cruise lines have chaplains onboard only for major religious holy days, such as Chistmas and Easter for Christian denominations.

>> For many years, Celebrity Cruises and Holland America Lines obtained Roman Catholic chaplains coordinated through the Stella Maris maritime apostolate for all of their cruises, but the arrangement stipulated that the Catholic chaplains would lead an interdonominational Christian service on Sundays in addition to celebrating eucharist (mass/divine liturgy) according to the Roman Rite for Catholic and Orthodox Christians. These chaplains also would provide their services to both passengers and crew in case of major injury, major illness, or bereavement.

If you wish to do anything, you probably would need to arrange it through the leadership of your denomination.

There is, however, one other option. If you arrange some sort of group program ("retreat at sea" or, if there's a suitable itinerary, a pilgrimmage cruise) aboard the ship, you could notify the cruise line that you are willing to open your group's services to other passengers who wish to participate. In that case, the ship might put them into the daily programs distributed to all passengers.

Norm.
Old September 10th, 2010, 09:52 PM
Captain

I did not make myself very clear. I am not wishing to lead any service. I am not a speaker. What I do is listen and offer comfort in a crisis situtations. Offer to pray if they would like, but in no way do I preach.

I know we were on a ship when they had a pretty severe fire in San Diego and several people on board were possibly losing homes and family. A chaplain may have been a comfort. Some times people receive horrible news while on board again person willing to listen to their fears without comment other than hope and encouragement can be a God sent. (Literally)

VIKING SERENADE 1993
HOLIDAY 1995
HOLIDAY 1997
HOLIDAY 1998
ECTASY 1999
ELATION 2000
STAR PRINCESS 2002
SPIRIT 2003
NCL STAR 2004
PRIDE 2005
PRIDE 2006
PARADISE 2007
MS OOSTERDAM 2008
SPLENDOR 5/2010

Carnival Splendor
Old September 12th, 2010, 03:23 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUSAN CURTIS View Post
What I do is listen and offer comfort in a crisis situtations.
Susan, I need your services every time I get that final bill on the last night.
Old September 12th, 2010, 05:02 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan View Post
Susan, I need your services every time I get that final bill on the last night.
I hear you. Rember how important it is to pray daily, well the same thing applies to that sail and sign card. Go to your interactive tv screen and check daily so you'll be able to tackle it in little bites and not be devoured by the whole thing at once, it can be a killer

VIKING SERENADE 1993
HOLIDAY 1995
HOLIDAY 1997
HOLIDAY 1998
ECTASY 1999
ELATION 2000
STAR PRINCESS 2002
SPIRIT 2003
NCL STAR 2004
PRIDE 2005
PRIDE 2006