Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 12th, 2010, 01:35 PM
Admiral

Default NFL Fan...What Do You Do ???

when your home team in not playing on Sunday do you
a) watch other games even if you are not interested in the teams
b) do yard/house work
c) do an outing with your family (including going to the mall)
d)read a book or go to a movie
e) post on CruiseMates
f) be very,very,very bored
Sponsored Links
Old September 12th, 2010, 02:35 PM
Admiral

Actually Venice, I'm no longer much a fan of pro or even college football whereas I was when I was young.

An embarrassing number of today's college players while they couldn't on their best day pass a set of high school sophmore final exams, nevertheless receive full boats (scholarships) and sometimes a lot more (until the coaches get caught by the NCAA, while students with quite acceptable credentials and intellect can't afford to go to a really good college.

As for pro ball, the amounts of money being thrown around is so ludicrous that team loyalty by the players only lasts as long as the current contract.

I wish they'd just ditch the whole charade.

The same holds true for basketball as well.

Ah, for the good old days when the pros would take guys who played what amounts to minor league ball or not even that level (John Unitas and Gene Lipscomb being but two examples) and college programs weren't under the pressure they are today to win to the degree that it makes a joke of the collegiate sports educational system.

Todd
Old September 12th, 2010, 08:35 PM
Admiral

I am a college basketball fan but I agree with you totally .There should be some sort of minor league basketball .College athletes who are admitted solely for their athletic prowess do not belong there .
Old September 13th, 2010, 04:51 PM
Familiar Face

Watch a documentary. It's just as much scripted out as the NFL is.
Old September 13th, 2010, 04:55 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
I am a college basketball fan but I agree with you totally .There should be some sort of minor league basketball .College athletes who are admitted solely for their athletic prowess do not belong there .
You don't admit those athletes, you don't draw revenue from the sports. You don't draw the revenue, you raise tuition ever more than it already is being raised. You keep raising tuition, either kids don't go to college, or the government pays. The govermnent pays, your taxes increase. There's obviously more to it than that, but it all does relate. Not saying I like it, I'm just saying...
Old September 13th, 2010, 08:09 PM
Admiral

A person going to college and taking a class like Basket Weaving does not belong in the college .
Old September 13th, 2010, 08:53 PM
Admiral

CL7,

You make a good point were it to be true that sports programs provide funding support to general admission students. Problem is, in most cases it appears that just the opposite is true.

According to the Knight Commission Report (the commission being made up of College Presidents and those of similar ilk), only seven FBS (Football Bowl Subdivision) schools (including Michigan) could even cover their athletic expenses from the revenue generated by sports. Also on average athletic expenses rose 38% from just 2005!

Todd
Old November 12th, 2011, 02:55 AM
First Mate

My husband and I have Direct TV NFL Sunday Ticket, so we can watch our team every week even if the local team causes them to not be aired on the local channels. It's great!

Golden Princess 9/8/2012
Carnival Elation 11/02/2009
Carnival Pride 04/24/2006
Carnival Pride 05/23/2004
Carnival Elation (I think) 1999
Old November 12th, 2011, 08:27 AM
Admiral

I agree 100% with Todds outlook on the professional, and college sports. Also, as a basketball player in high school, I've noticed that the pro's don't even follow the rules that we had to follow. Looks to me like they double-dribble, travel, walk around with the ball in their hands, and in general, just wander aimlessly with the ball? What's up with that? And don't even get me started on the basketball shorts! What a joke they are! Anyway, I rarely watch any professional sports at all. College or High School football is far more entertaining to me, than Professional ball.

"SKY"
Old November 12th, 2011, 08:48 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I got excited when I saw this thread, because I thought Venice was back.

I love pro football. It is the one thing I look forward to starting every year. I am not into basketball, and don't laugh, but it's the shoes making that noise on the floor. It drives me crazy.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old November 12th, 2011, 08:57 PM
Admiral

Default I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster View Post
I agree 100% with Todds outlook on the professional, and college sports. Also, as a basketball player in high school, I've noticed that the pro's don't even follow the rules that we had to follow. Looks to me like they double-dribble, travel, walk around with the ball in their hands, and in general, just wander aimlessly with the ball? What's up with that? And don't even get me started on the basketball shorts! What a joke they are! Anyway, I rarely watch any professional sports at all. College or High School football is far more entertaining to me, than Professional ball.

"SKY"
I played intramural basketball in college and 2 years of organized basketball .
Old November 14th, 2011, 02:22 AM
Admiral

Another thing. I might be easily re-attracted to the NFL if they'd get rid of these pristine enclosed stadiums and return to the old days and played football in, "the mud, the blood and the beer" as did the old New York Giants, Green Bay Packers, etc. At 20 below with a wind chill below zero, they never had much of a problem filling the stadium in Green Bay. Back then, the ticket buying public was about as tough as were the players. Seems to me, today's bunch are comparitably a bunch of what we used to call "candy assed."
Explorer of the Seas 2009, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2007, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2006, Eastern Caribbean
Old November 14th, 2011, 10:37 AM
Admiral

Me too Todd,,,,I loved watching on Thanksgiving day,,,Detroit and who ever play in the snow/mud Yep,,,don't laugh I'm a Lion's fan

"Attitude is determined by latitude"

Geoff Peterson for President.
Old November 14th, 2011, 11:15 AM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to Iamchip

I watch the other games to see how my fantasy players are doing but that usually ends in me taking a nap